Topic

LAUFBURSCHE huckePACK

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) LAUFBURSCHE huckePACK

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 48 total)
  • Author
    Tony Pearson
    BPL Member

@tactics

Locale: Dallas, TX

Surfing around my normal bp'ing reads I came across this:

LAUFBURSCHE huckePACK

For some reason I have a ****** to try this pack out. From the gist of the post, It's not out yet. Does anyone here have any experience with this particular company? Possible to get an order in from the US?

Did a little searching but can't find if they have a website? Anyone have more info?

Trevor Shrade
    BPL Member

@trevman3205

Locale: Wisconsin

Check this out. Might be the same person?

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

From Hendrik (via your link…)

http://laufbursche.blogspot.com/

"it opens after Easter I was told."

"a few more weeks and the blog will go live. "

Franco
    Trevor
    yep that is the one.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Last spring I posted some photos of a Laufbursche Bivy made from tyvek. There was very little interest following my post which surprised me because the weight, breathability and good quality seemed to provide the perfect criterion for a protective bag designed for use with a tarp. I use it combined with any one of my several floorless shelters to protect from spash and spray from heavy rain.

The point is that based on the bivy, this pack has my attention. Anyone know the specs in cubic inches and ounces??

Tony Pearson
    BPL Member

@tactics

Locale: Dallas, TX

Thanks for the info guys. I saw the blog link. Just wondered if there was an official company site.

Pack specs:

330 g (11.6 oz)
    35 liter volume which can be expanded to 49 with extension collar.
    Made of black silnylon, while the bottom is made of XPAC.
    Has mesh front and side pockets.

Is what I got from the link in my original post.

Hendrik Morkel
    BPL Member

@skullmonkey

Locale: Finland

Hej all,

nice to see interest in the huckePACK! As John I have a LAUFBURSCHE tyvek bivy, which is superb. Also I have used the LAUFBURSCHE Tanzpalast (a tarp/ shelter hybrid, going to be available in Cuben and silnylon) on a trip, and soon might have one to play around with – will keep you updated on my blog (become a Follower or subscribe to the RSS feed to stay updated) and here.

My pack is so "heavy" because I took all available options, if you take it naked (just the mesh pockets) in Size S (thus 35 l extendable to 49) it is going to be 282 g. It carries excellent, the 3D mesh shoulder straps are very comfortable, as is the hip belt.

And yes, the link which Trevor posted is the same guy. He went through many prototypes (he's been testing this pack now for two years!) and is getting ready to start his own cottage this summer. The website isn't life yet, but hopefully will be after Eastern, so stay tuned!

omar M

@kashmir

Locale: New York

any more news on the company or its site?

I think they were scheduled to open earlier this month online???

Benjamin Moryson
    BPL Member

@hrxxl

Locale: Germany

hello

i got the chance to met LAUFBURSCHE last weekend.
    there is still a lots of work to do, but it could be possible that the open the doors in July or August when everything is settled down to detail

Phil Turner

@philt

Having fondled Hendrik's huckePACK a few days ago, I think LAUFBURSCHE really are on to a winner. I suppose gear made by a perfectionist German engineer is always going to be pretty good!

Sebastian Boenner

@racoon-on-tour

Locale: beautiful Rhineland (Germany)

Laufbursches blog went online, yesterday.
    It's still not the official website of his online-shop. But his blog will inform you about every news you can get about himself, his gear and his upcoming cottage manufactory. So look out!

http://laufbursche.blogspot.com

Sebastian Boenner

@racoon-on-tour

Locale: beautiful Rhineland (Germany)

Since it gone online yesterday there are already 22 followers on his blog.
    There were even 3 people who subscribed to his blog before it was officially online. I think there are a lot of expectations about Laufbursches upcoming cottage manufactory.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

The waist belt on that pack looks "ethereal". Not much padding,if any.

David Ure

@familyguy

No frame, right? Then what is so innovative about this pack that would set it apart from the MLD, ULA, and Zpack offerings? Yes a bit lighter, but made out of less durable fabrics.

Robert Cowman
    BPL Member

@rcowman

Locale: Canadian Rockies

I think the appeal is to everyone in Europe. MLD has up to 8 weeks lead time plus whatever the shipping is that's like 2 and half months. That's a lot of trips missed out on. This also proves the acceptance of the UL market in other areas. It's not just The USA. If there was a manufacture in Canada of UL I would defiantly buy from them.(I do support Integral Designs.)

Miguel Arboleda
    BPL Member

@butuki

Locale: Kanto Plain, Japan

No frame, right? Then what is so innovative about this pack that would set it apart from the MLD, ULA, and Zpack offerings? Yes a bit lighter, but made out of less durable fabrics

After all the talk here about buying only from the US and from local cottage manufacturers, it shouldn't surprise you that people in Europe want something of their own. The same movement is happening here in Japan. There is also, as Robert pointed out, the amount of time waiting, the cost of shipping, the customs fees, or even things like manufacturers being unwilling to sell overseas. For many there is also the language barrier; people want to deal with manufacturers in their own language.

Design-wise I see the Laufbursche ideas as a refinement of the ideas started in the States. The Laufbursche pack, for instance, has taken every element of former designs and done a really nice job making them lighter or easier to use.

As to less durable materials… there is a dyneema version of the pack, so I'm not sure what you mean there.

David Ure

@familyguy

"Design-wise I see the Laufbursche ideas as a refinement of the ideas started in the States. "

That's my point. Nothing innovative. We have hit the wall on what can be done with a frameless ruck.

William Johnson

@steamboat_willie

Mr. Ure,

I think they are addressing your question. The refinement, which you agree to, is at least evident in the top closure of the bag which is something not often seen in the load/volume/weight category of similar products. This perhaps is not definitively refining, but in the sense that is is removing the unwanted larger roll-top closure alone, and aiding it with a pullover – well, it is a nice add-on. And not the only nice aspect of the bag.

The innovation would be that it is a German-made product, something very appealing to those of us not living in the center of our Universe, USA.

It can be difficult in Germany to start-up a cottage industry business venture, that sells globally, so for Laufbursche to put its/his products out, certainly by numbers alone proving a competitive product with MLD, SMD, and so forth, he allows the Europeans a lower priced alternative to products of similar quality.

This is a major innovation.

Eugene Smith
    BPL Member

@eugeneius

Locale: Nuevo Mexico

The waist belt on that pack looks "ethereal". Not much padding,if any.

Uhhhhh? Where have you been Eric? Why the criticism from the get go? This is BPL, where to numerous members and non-members alike, waistbelts are in many cases, optional or completely unnecessary. When you're only carrying 10 lbs. for a weekend of life on the trail then what good does a padded waistbelt serve you? For some individuals a padded waistbelt provides nothing over a thinner belt. I do believe the huckePACK has 3D spacer mesh, which is more than sufficient. I don't think LAUFBURSCHE is claiming anything "innovative", just an additional option with some nice features to offer individuals. best of luck LAUFBURSCHE.

David Ure

@familyguy

"This is a major innovation."

I am glad you think so, but I was referring to product innovation, not whether it is innovative to make an UL pack in Germany.

Interesting about the defensiveness. Some of you think it is innovative. I do not. I try to avoid group think and state my perspective. Sorry but this is a Gear Forum.

BTW, I do not live in the USA and it is not my center of the Universe. ; )

Miguel Arboleda
    BPL Member

@butuki

Interesting about the defensiveness. Some of you think it is innovative. I do not. I try to avoid group think and state my perspective. Sorry but this is a Gear Forum.

Where did anyone say that it is particularly innovative, as in a completely new design concept? Mostly the reaction has been either that it is a well-made pack or that it is located in Europe. What's wrong with getting excited about that?

Benjamin Moryson
    BPL Member

@hrxxl

Locale: Germany

There no complete new innovative design. It is a well-made pack and one of the first from Europe. Only the system of the lid is new and innovative. It's a pack without a roll closure system or something else. I really like my huckePACK and it is and it is nice to see that the market in europe is still growing.

I really like the US producer like MLD etc. but there is always a problem with the shipping. we must biy high taxes and shipping costs for an order from the usa.

David Ure

@familyguy

"What's wrong with getting excited about that?"

Absolutely Nothing. What is wrong about saying that I don't find it particularly innovative?

Nemesio Rodriguez-Fernandez
    Spectator

@nemesio

Locale: Spain-France

rcowman said : "I think the appeal is to everyone in Europe. "

Absolutely !
    For us, Europeans, these are very good news !

Miguel Arboleda
    BPL Member

@butuki

No frame, right? Then what is so innovative about this pack that would set it apart from the MLD, ULA, and Zpack offerings? Yes a bit lighter, but made out of less durable fabrics.

This is what you wrote. Don't you think your words imply that someone had said earlier that the pack was more innovative than anything before? I don't think I wrote anything saying that you shouldn't be allowed to express that it isn't innovative. Of course you should. As you said, this is gear talk. And yet, no one said it was more innovative. The focus from the start was on the gear being made in Europe. That is what everyone is excited about. I don't understand why this is making you attack the pack. Sure, it doesn't have a frame, or (the one mainly shown recently) is made of less durable materials, or doesn't introduce much that hasn't already been done, but don't people in Europe get to have choices other than those you mention above? As everyone is saying the shipping to Europe (and to here in Japan) is very high. So of course people want something local. Besides, until now UL has very much been a North America-centric movement. ULers in other countries want to feel part of the movement and want to have a hand in the production of UL equipment. So far they've had nothing to show their own ability to contribute to the gear and to the ideas. Now the Europeans have their first possibly internationally recognized cottage manufacturer. I think it is wonderful, and I'm not even in Europe! I say, the more the merrier!

If Colin Ibbotson ever offers his "Skins" packs commercially, we may have another cottage manufacturer from Europe, too. I'm waiting for Locus Gear here in Japan to really make a splash.

David Ure

@familyguy

Miguel – respect my opinion!!!

I am not arguing with you. It is not innovative to me. Period.

This is my point. In MY opinion, it is not innovative and is simply an amalgamation of several ideas already on the market. Does that mean that it should 'go away'? No.

I could argue that it makes more sense to go with a proven design but I won't go there.

I am shocked that I can't have an opinion on the matter.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 48 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools