Topic

Wal-mart pad/windscreen

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Multiple Use Gear Wal-mart pad/windscreen

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Keith Selbo
    Spectator

@herman666

Locale: Northern Virginia

I've started using my 3/4 length (cut down) Wal-mart sleeping pad as a windscreen for my alcohol stove. I was experience a tremendous drop in efficiency when there was even the slightest breeze despite my use of an aluminum windscreen.

Since the Wal-mart pad is stiff enough to be free standing, I tried using it as my windscreen. Even when I fully surround my stove with it, there's almost six inches of space between it and the pot. I've cooked with it a couple of times, but I don't have an apples to apples comparison yet. I can definitely say that it works as well as the aluminum screen so I can get rid of a couple of ounces by using the pad. If it improves efficiency (because it's an insulator) so much the better.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

I use a short length self-inflating pad. So my Wal Mart sectional blue foam pad does multiple duties as:

o pack frame on the trail
    o seat pad at camp
    o wind screen at dinner
    o sleeping pad foot section at night

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools