Topic

best pot for canister and alky stove

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) best pot for canister and alky stove

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Leigh Baker
    BPL Member

@leighb

Locale: Northeast Texas Pineywoods

I currently have a pocket rocket, but will likely go to alky stove to save weight; getting a little overwhelmed by the choices.
    I will mostly do under 4 day hikes, boil water for breakfast and dinner(FBC)only. I've read it's important to match the stove with the pot for alky stoves. What type of pot/mug would I be safe getting now for the canister stove that would still work with the alky stove later.
    thanks,
    leigh

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

If you study the photos of different stoves, you will see that some alcohol stoves have blue flames that shoot directly upward in a tight pattern, and those might be good for a small-diameter cook pot. Other stoves shoot outward more, so a large-diameter cook pot will catch those flames better. Looking at it one way, the more pot wet surface area in contact with the flames, the faster the water will be heated. On the other hand, the more pot dry surface area you have, the more it will be re-radiating heat into the air (which is lost). In virtually every case, a cook pot lid helps everything.
    –B.G.–

Michael Ray
    BPL Member

@topshot

Locale: Midwest

As Bob said, if it's a top burner you can get away with a smaller diameter cup, but normally need a pot stand. A side burning model will work better with a wider pot and often don't need an extra stand. However, you can still use something like a Heineken pot if you add a heat exchanger to it. I plan to test this with aluminum flue tape (see the end of this video, which they found worked better than dimpling the bottom "ring" of the can with a washer.)

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Leigh:

It mostly depends on your priorities. Do you want the quickest boiling times? Do you want the lightest/most compact option? Or something else?

For me, I like a simple, light, and compact system where everything can fit inside the pot:

Canister stove setup – SP 600 with homemade lid.

My SP Gigapower stove, SP fuel canister, towel, BIC lighter all fit inside the pot. I then place the pot and my spork inside the mesh pouch and cinch up.

Alcohol stove setup – Firelite 550 with lid

My wedding tin alky stove, wind screen, BIC lighter, spork, towel plus up to 4 ounces of fuel all fit inside nicely.

Alcohol Stove

Leigh Baker
    BPL Member

@leighb

Locale: Northeast Texas Pineywoods

I only need to boil water, and after researching a little more, thinking I can use it with either. Will just need to select the right alky stove when i go that direction.

Michael Ray
    BPL Member

@topshot

Locale: Midwest

The same user of the vid I linked to has another one that shows how they made the little stove they use with it. They call it the Unican and have used it successfully at Donner Pass in winter. FYI, a Heine won't fit right on a Super Cat.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

Probably not the answer you are looking for, but I would get and Caldera Cone set up with a Foster or Heineken can. Everything is perfectly matched, tested, and light.

Get another pot for your canister stove.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools