Topic

AT gear list

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists AT gear list

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 26 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Author
    Mike Clelland

@mikeclelland

Locale: The Tetons (via Idaho)

The grocery store produce bags on a roll are pretty good. Not the wispy thin ones, but the ones about bread bag thick. (plus, they are free) Package your food in these, and then use them as wet weather foot bags after the food is eaten.

The pleated bread bag is pretty good if you have roomy shoes, but those folds skrunch up around your toes.

Mike McHenry

@mtmche2

Just for the record, i haven't been able to get rid of my Crocs from my kit. I think I would consider bringing them especially if I was thruing the AT for towns, showers, laundry, stream crossings, etc. With that said, I am doing an end to end on the LT this August and am considering bringing something lighter.

I am thinking about modifying mine a little by drilling some foam out of select places making them less of "walking" footwear and more of a camp shoe. I have thought about the light flip flops but I hate the stupid little piece of rubber between my toes…

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

"the light flip flops but I hate the stupid little piece of rubber between my toes…"

There is an alternate design of sandals with a strap that goes sideways across the top of all toes with nothing between toes.

–B.G.–

Mike McHenry

@mtmche2

Where could something like these be found, Bob?

Thomas Burns
    BPL Member

@nerdboy52

Locale: "Alas, poor Yogi.I knew him well."

1.92 oz, including the mud!

At 1.92 oz, dirt included, you can't beat these. Wish I could remember where I got them or even what they are. Anybody know the brand?

I've even hiked in them for brief periods. If they break on the trail, a quick wrap o' the old duct tape all the way around will surely fix them.

My crocs have long since been placed in the trash heap of history.

Stargazer (You will know him on the trail by his hairy ankles, Luke.)

michael coppens

@mtc

Locale: midwest

sprintaquatics.com

been thinking about them myself — wish they came in another color besides white.

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

I tried a pair of the Sprint Aquatics and found that the XL(or whatever the largest was) was to small/tight for my 10.5-11.0 feet. Otherwise, they would have been great.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

"Where could something like these be found, Bob?"

I don't know. For about every ten stores that I see selling the ordinary flip-flops, I see one selling the alternative strap design. I purchased mine years ago at a drug store.

The alternative strap joins with velcro.

–B.G.–

Roleigh Martin
    BPL Member

@marti124

Locale: Founder & Lead Moderator, https://www.facebook.com/groups/SierraNorthPCThikers

In my gear list I spend almost a whole page on this topic. Here are 4 ultralight options.

4 water shoes

"I am still in debate what to bring for 2010, the shown option is to use what I used in 2009 but it did not provide enough sole protection – what I am going to experiment with is taking out my superfeet insoles and placing them inside the Spring Aquatics Nylon Mesh Shoe. These are about .95 oz for the sandal (1.90 oz for the pair).

http://www.sprintaquatics.com/prodinfo.asp?number=901

Zinetic Pocket Slippers – from the web page: Features: Lightweight Compact (Stow and Go); Nylon Carrying pouch included; Breatheable fabric; “Barefoot Feel” with rubber sole protection; Great traction on slippery surfaces; Stretchy fabric allows for comfort over a range of foot sizes” I use a very big heavy duty rubber band to prevent slipper from slipping off while wading a stream. http://tinyurl.com/yjfykd2 Medium size weigh 6.9 oz on my scale.

There is also the Vincere Grip/Boat Socks which are the blue items to the right and which weigh 3.0z for a pair (1.5 oz apiece), Medium’s man’s size. http://tinyurl.com/yk4qvz3

Another option is from http://gofastandlight.com which is their Ultralight Fuzzy Footie Camp Shoes which weigh 4.4 oz for the pair. They have Non Skid Bottom with rubber grip dots for traction; Soft cotton footpad inside; Fuzzy Lycra/Polyester blend uppers and Stretch to fit a range of sizes and are inexpensive ($8)."

You can see my gear list via my profile page. This year I added a low-cost option to the gear, and anyone's input to make a equally as good but cheaper option, please advise.

Thanks.

Ryan Linn

@ryan-c-linn

Locale: Maine!

I just dropped Angela off at Amicalola Falls State Park yesterday around noon, and she should have hit Springer sometime in the evening. Pretty awesome!

I caught a ride with her and another guy (can't remember if he's BPL or Whiteblaze) from Asheville to Franklin, then Franklin to Neel's Gap. At Neel's Gap, my hiking buddy from the AT picked Angela and me up and drove to the approach trail. So she's starting the AT, and I'll be off for the PCT in a few days.

We managed to pare down Angela's pack weight a bit in Franklin before she headed out. She sent the Kindle home (just used it for the train ride to VA), as well as the bug netting for her hammock (IMO, the netting is way too heavy, bulky, and completely unnecessary for the moment). I didn't see any Crocs. Also, her pack is a Vapor Trail, not a Virga (that explains the weight of that). We cut out a few other little things, and I'm sure she'll pare it down as she gets further north.

Weighed at Neel's Gap, her pack was 23 pounds WITH three days of food and about 2 liters of water. So not bad. I've been on the AT for a few weeks, and saw less than a handful of packs that were even that light. She's ahead of the curve, I think.

That's all for now. Just figured I'd mention that she's on the trail, with a slightly lighter pack that she listed here. I'll return to my forum silence for a while again. See you at the end of the summer!

t.darrah
    BPL Member

@thomdarrah

Locale: Southern Oregon

Go Angela, do us proud (in UL style)!

Viewing 11 posts - 26 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools