Topic

Garmin GPS Maps

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Scouting Philmont Garmin GPS Maps

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Bob Seehausen

@ncb0b

I have a Garmin GPSmap 60CS that I plan on bringing to Philmont this summer. Any recommendations on map software? I already own MapSource US Topo and National Parks topo (for Northern Tier) and wonder if either of these will be enough.

Phil Barton
    BPL Member

@flyfast

Locale: Oklahoma

Bob, our first year we never had a need to even turn on the GPS other than to see if it worked. On last year's trek we left it at home. My experience is that Philmont's maps are good enough that you won't find a lot of use for the GPS. If you're in the Valle Vidal that might be different.

Mike Barney

@eaglemb

Locale: AZ, the Great Southwest!

Hi Bob and Phil (long time Phil)

We've been a few times with GPS and effectively let the boys use map and compass while the adults hold the GPS. This has worked well for review of how they did and on a couple of occasions refocusing on where they boys thought they were going vs. where they thought they were. (As in the last time it was getting dark and they were about to take a spur that would have put them 15 miles away from the destination that was otherwise really close. As such, it was a good tool to ask them if they really knew where they were, and refocus them on finding their location and destination.)

Your call. If your navigator doesn't know how to read a map, the GPS isn't going to help because it won't have the granularity on precisely where to turn.

We're headed back this year and will do the same thing.

Good luck,
    Mike

Wesley Witt
    Spectator

@weswitt

Locale: Northwest

I like having a GPS for the following reasons:

1: I want a track log when I'm finished with the trek. The track long can be used for many things, but I use it for geo-stamping all my photos. I also like to create a daily elevation profile when I get home — really nice for the photo album.

2: I like to know what my elevation is while hiking. The elevation is good indicator of "what is left" in hike that day and where you are.

3: I like to see the mileage and other stats logged as the trek progresses.

I don't really use it for navigation and always have map & compass for that.

Ian Smith

@iansmith

About to depart on third trek. I'll carry a GPS, but seldom turn it on. I get 12 hours out of a pair of batteries. On an 11 day trek, that's a lot of weight in batteries. And, in general, the trails are clearly marked.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools