Topic

Great hikes in Arches NP?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips Great hikes in Arches NP?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Jack H.

@found

Locale: Sacramento, CA

Heading to Arches tomorrow. What hikes should I do? Overnight backpack is possible, but more likely to day hike. I'm ok with short or long distances. I've been before, but a long time ago, so I'm interesting in anything, even the touron stuff.

Joe Clement
    BPL Member

@skinewmexico

Locale: Southwest

Great, I left my park maps at a buddy's house in Texas. But I'm pretty sure there is no overnight backpack type camping at Arches. There are some 7 mile loops I think, and the Ranger guided Furnace tour is pretty cool.

Scott S

@sschloss1

Locale: New England

You've probably seen pictures of Delicate Arch (or maybe the old Utah license plates), but it's still an absolute must-see. It's easily one of the most beautiful spots I've ever seen, and even if there's a bunch of other hikers there, it's worth going to.

Chad Roberts
    BPL Member

@carobe

Locale: Mid-Atlantic

If you can only make it to Delicate Arch and want to avoid the tourons, consider going around and behind it, as a full dayhike.

http://www.pbase.com/listorama/pl_ut_arches_del_loop

Travis Naibert

@outwest

as already mentioned, take the ranger guided fiery furnace hike. Also, if you have a shuttle you can do a real cool 3/4 day off trail hike up courthouse wash from where the wash intersects the hwy west of Moab a few miles up to where the wash crosses the park road. some cool petroglyphs and should be water this time of year in there. I don't remember how far it is, but I want to quess about 10 miles +/-.

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

Backpacking is allowed, just not encouraged, in Arches.

The thru-hike of Courthouse was from the highway up near the turnoff to Island in the Sky down to the highway near town is very nice. If you have a bike a self-shuttle is easy.

Exploring the Courthouse Towers area is fun. Near the southern end of the Park Avenue trail there are several scrambles up to the top, and at least one way back down on the north side towards Sheep rock.

Another great scrambling area is Herdina Park, off the old entrance road. You can hike north from the road and find a way to Eye of the Whale Arch through the middle of the labyrinth, but it might take a bit of wandering and problem solving. It's like a little Fiery Furnace without the permit nonesense.

Hiking Salt Wash from Wolfe Ranch down to the Colorado is fun, but you need a car shuttle or long bike shuttle, and you have to swim the river. Carried a wetsuit along to do that hike in February back in the day.

I've always wanted to explore Lost Spring Canyon, but never got around to it. That would be a fun overnight.

obx hiker
    BPL Member

@obxer

Off to the land of the Moabites eh Jack?

Sounds like dave C knows his way around. If you don't have the time to get creative just take the hike out to the double "O" and then the loop hike from there back. If it's a clear evening go to the area around the window arches for the sunset.

Agree with Dave the rigamarole around entry ( without a guide) to the Fiery Furnace is tedious at best; but boy the Fiery furnace is one fun 3 dimensional playground and puzzle!

If you're in town and want to try something ahh less structured; check this out.

http://www.utahoutdoors.com/pages/behindtherocks.htm

Frank Deland

@rambler

Locale: On the AT in VA

Arches. Beautiful. Enjoy this book; Google it.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools