Topic

Hard hikes.

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Philosophy & Technique Hard hikes.

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Jack H.

@found

Locale: Sacramento, CA

After a long string of less than challenging hikes, I had a hard one yesterday. It's nice to be reminded of the challenge that hiking can bring. Had to navigate, hike fast, avoid terrain traps, downclimb, chase the sunset, trudge through sand, etc for a good six hours.

Do you do more easy hikes or hard ones?

Ike Mouser

@isaac-mouser

of course you remember the hard ones more. Its when your challenged, when your lost and you find you way, when it really matters to get it right, thats why you remember, because you got it right. BTW wish i could hike as much as you, i've heard a thing or two about you on the forums…you are a lucky man. =P

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

Well Jack,

Most of my hikes start out as easy ones. But then I see something of interest and am continually taking side trips, which often turn into "hard hikes." That is the fun.

Ike Mouser

@isaac-mouser

i agree nick, sidetrips turn my 2 day hikes into 4 day hikes. My 20 mile trips into 40 mile trips because of back tracking, but i would not change it. I hate going into the wilderness with a speed/rate i must maintain in order to get out in time. Having a little extra food and two days of leeway at the end is golden in my book, just incase you want to explore more.

Anonymous
    Inactive

"Do you do more easy hikes or hard ones?"

Day hikes? Multiday? Either?

Jay Wilkerson
    BPL Member

@creachen

Locale: East Bay

I like the combination of a EASY family hike and then a HARD hike with the backpacking buddies.. I have two friends and family hikes planned this summer that are both 12 miles round trip: Easy I would say—Then I have 90 mile hike planned in August on the JMT(6 days)—Then a very hard hike in the Grand Canyon of the Tuolumne(5 days)…I like both tempos….

Summer can not be here soon enough!!!

Adan Lopez
    Spectator

@lopez

Locale: San Gabriel Valley

When I'm somewhere way too crowded and/or uninteresting then I usually push hard to get somewhere better.

If I'm captivated by my surroundings, I tend to wander, explore, stalk, sit, climb, run, etc without thinking about where I'm supposed to be going. I sometimes find myself completely winded before i even realize i was pushing myself or just staring at a view for way too long before realizing I've run out of daylight.

I dont rush through a place if I know that tomorrow I will be wishing i was there again.

Javan Dempsey

@jdempsey

Locale: The-Stateless-Society

I pretty much never do day-hikes.. If I'm not out for at least one night, it's pointless to me. I enjoy the total experience of hiking/camping.

I also like to push myself hard. Hike hard, and take good breaks. I enjoy the naturalistic aspects more when I'm not on the move, but I'm not really the "out for a stroll in the woods" type.

Hiking Malto
    BPL Member

@gg-man

I will nearly always push myself, ie hard hikes. Got to go head into the mountains. First attempt at a 40 mile day tomorrow. Enough said.

george carr
    BPL Member

@hammer-one

Locale: Loco Libre Gear

When I hike solo I almost always have some sort of challenge in mind, whether it be mileage, difficult terrain, or some sort of gear challenge ie;lowest possible pack weight, etc.
    when I hike with others I base the challenges on the groups skillset, experience, and physical abilities. Usually these trips are lower mileage, but not always.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools