Topic

For less adventuresom hammock makers

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear For less adventuresom hammock makers

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Vick Hines

@vickrhines

Locale: Central Texas

I don’t have the nerve to make a hammock of Cuben nor Bill F’s design sophistication, but I did find a way to cut my hammock weight in half.

I just made a 6.5 oz hammock out of some 0.6 ounce Wally World polyester lining material with Mule Tape lines. To minimize weight I made it only 9 feet long, shorter than my usual 10.5, and used 45 inch fabric instead of 60. It isn’t a diagonal hammock, but lets me lie reasonably flat because the polyester does not stretch.

I have no idea whether (or when) 0.6 ounce polyester will fail catastrophically. I guess I’ll find out, huh.

Bill Fornshell
    BPL Member

@bfornshell

Locale: Southern Texas

Hi Vick,
    I think the important thing that you have done is find a way YOU could make a really light hammock.
    How long it lasts may be a factor of your weight and how it gets treated.

Hang it low the first few times you use it and good luck. My first Silk Hammock is over 2 years old and is still working great. I have used it down to 29 degrees F with a couple of thin sleeping pads in it.

Vick Hines

@vickrhines

Yeah, Bill, I didn’t have the nerve to try silk although I’ve used it for several other things since you turned me on to it. Maybe I’ll try it in a hammock next. You bet I’ll hang it low. It’s now about 18 inches over a 4″ pink foam matress. I’ve busted my butt before. Not pleasant.

Michael Demchak

@mikey

Locale: new england

wow Vick.. you have no idea how moderatly hard i’ve been looking for lightweight polyester… only to learn its been right under my nose at wally world. do you have any additional info on the material? i dont like to spend extended amount of time in walmart so the more clues the better :D
    thanks!
    mike!
    p.s. i do recomend the silk… mmmm quite luxurious. you can get some cool dye’s if your feeling fancy. i made my hammock 45″ wide, and i cant seem to sleep on my side as well as my wider ones…

Vick Hines

@vickrhines

Additional info on Wallyworld material:
    Nope. Wallyworld discount bins are mostly WISYWIG. Sometimes the labels say “Unknown fabcic of unknown origin.” They have to say that because some of it is from Mars. Some lables give composition. Then it’s no more than usual in a fabric store, i.e. minimal. Caveat: The discount bins are strictly ‘as available’ partial bolts, remnants, remaindered surplus from other sources. Dallas stores have silnylon sometimes; I’ve never seen it at Austin Wallyworlds.

I’m looking out for 60″ poly because I,too find 45 to be a little narrow. My hammock weight may go up to 8 or 9 ounces.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools