Topic

Help me pick a tent!

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Help me pick a tent!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Ben
    BPL Member

@benen

Hi Everyone :)

I know I recently posted about tents but I'm still in a dilemma!

I'm seriously looking at the Scarp 2 as well as the MSR CR2 and MSR HH HP.

Do Tarptent make a footprint for the Scarp 2?
    Can it be pitched just with fly and footprint as an UL summer shelter? How much would just that part weigh?

I plan on backpacking in a lot of different weather with my wife so a tent that can see us through the largest variety of conditions would be very helpful. Rainy Tasmania is definitely on the cards.
    If i end up needing a tent for warm and another for rain and cold then so be it.
    Also, if the CR2 is stronger than the Scarp 2 then I'm happy to pay the extra money. And vice versa, save the money if the Scarp is stronger!
    Thanks

Benen

CW
    BPL Member

@simplespirit

Locale: .

I sold a regular Hubba Hubba for a Scarp 2. There is no real footprint but Henry will sell you a piece of Tyvek that you can use as one. With the Scarp, the inner tent attaches to the exterior tent which is opposite of most traditional tents. You can use the exterior without any interior if you wish. You also have the option of the extra support pole and solid mesh or nylon/mesh inners.

twig .
    BPL Member

@bretthartwig

Locale: Australia

Hi Benen,
    I would go for a Scarp 2 if you are headed for Tassie. You could use it with the extra poles if you were headed for the snow and leave them at home if you are just going to encounter rain. I have a double rainbow and The One and find them suitable for 95% of the hiking we do in SA, the extra ventilation is welcome in all except winter. Tarptents are awesome, I would never go back to a conventional tent that is sold here. I haven't used a groundcloth with the rainbow and have had no problems with punctures as long as I spend a minute clearing the ground before pitching. If you don't want to get the base of the tent muddy you can use a painters drop cloth or Polycro groundsheet from Gossamer Gear.

Ben
    BPL Member

@benen

Does anyone know how much each part weighs?

John Mowery

@mow

Locale: Minnesota, USA

Have you looked at the Big Agnes Copper Spur UL2? (http://tinyurl.com/ml5qpw)

I'm going through a similar dilemma right now. I want a good two person, double wall, tent for really rainy weather. One of my criteria is two doors and two vestibules. After a lot of agonizing I think I've come to the Copper Spur UL2. A friend has one and loves it – carried between two people it's just over two pounds a piece. Certainly worth it for all the extra coverage, IMO.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools