Topic

8×10 flat tarp

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear 8×10 flat tarp

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Jeff M.
    BPL Member

@catalyst

Anyone know where I can find instructions on how to make a no-frills basic 8×10 flat tarp. I'd like to use silnylon. I'm not really looking for a kit. I want to make this as low cost as possible. I did some searching, but found most of the tarp discussion around cat tarps. I'm sure its very basic, but I have no experience with MYOG, which is why I'm looking for tips/instructions.

Paul Siegel
    Spectator

@paulsiegel

Locale: Southern Appalachians

Jeffrey,

All you really need to know is how to sew a straight seam, which is harder than it sounds. Practice makes perfect or so I'm told. Once you get that you can figure out how to do a felled seam and re-enforce the corners again all with straight seams. I wish I started with a flat tarp rather than the cat-tarp kit. The cat tarp kit from Quest outfitters will give you the correct amount of fabric and all the accoutrements. If you want to go your own way a little bit of math will give you how much fabric to order once you know the width of your fabric.

I'd like to figure out a cuben fiber flat tarp but that's not happening right now.

Tim Marshall
    BPL Member

@marshlaw303

Locale: Minnesota

speer hammocks might have no info. At one time they had a 8×10 kit and instructions, not sure if they still do.

-Tim

Steve Small

@lustreking

Yep, they still have the instructions.

http://speerhammocks.com/Assets/Articles/SewTarp.htm

Karl Schmid

@ktschmid

You could get a kit from Ray-Way and just not sew the beaks on….

David Franzen
    Spectator

@dfranzen

Locale: Germany

see episode 4 on steve's web page. it is a catenary ridge tarp, but instructions are easy to follow, even with no MYOG experience.
    he uses cuben, but i guess you can use any other material as well.
    if using silnylon, you might have to use another glue.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools