Topic

Zion National Park – Mid May

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists Zion National Park – Mid May

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 53 total)
  • Author
    Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

Over the years, I have gotten used to them. They are not on my list of concerns, but not to say I am not careful. But the unexpected sound of a rattle still sends a chill down my back.

The important thing on this trip is for Steve not to worry about snakes or bugs. So whatever he takes to make him comfortable, the better. The area is so beautiful, he just needs to be able to drink in the scenery. When he gets back, I will venture to say it will be one of his most memorable trips.

David Ure

@familyguy

"I too have snakes on the brain…..it's nice to know those temp ranges"

Snakes are cold blooded and look for someplace to keep warm at night. A sleeping quilt does nicely.

David Lutz

@davidlutz

Locale: Bay Area

Um, David…….you're going the wrong direction there, I use a quilt!

David Ure

@familyguy

Is there such a thing as snake spray, i.e. bear spray?

Mike Clelland

@mikeclelland

Locale: The Tetons (via Idaho)

Please know, the danger of rattle snakes is almost zero. You should be more worried about a death ray from Area 51.

The rangers in Zion don't wear special gaiters. There is no warning about snakes anywhere in the park. Don't carry a snake bite kit. It is NOT an issue.

PLEASE – Don't worry about snakes, you'll be fine.

The statistics about rattlers is funny. Almost ALL snake bites are the direct result of alcohol and testosterone. Young men get drunk, dive out into the desert and dare each other to touch a rattle snake. (I'm serious)

If yo DO see a rattle snake (and I've seen a lot of 'em, but never in Zion) just leave it alone. You'll be fine.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

n/m

Dumbass system….

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

+1, Mike.

RattleSnakesPrivacy

Saw this in New Mexico. I assumed the punctuation was correct. Made me smile.

David Lutz

@davidlutz

Locale: Bay Area

it was a logical concern! ; )

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Sure, if the rattlesnake will respect my privacy by staying off my trail!! :)

David Ure

@familyguy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J4WucDIeZsU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Azo0xWlD9DI

From http://www.zionnational-park.com:

"The route begins at the Middle Fork of Taylor Creek Trailhead. This is a 5.4 mile, easy to moderate hike, leading to a double arch alcove. The ascent is 450'. There are a couple of charming historic cabins along the way. This hike has one very rattling problem. Rattlesnakes are very common along the trail. We experienced two rattlesnakes in different sections of the hike that were on the trail during our May hike. It was scary enough to the adults, but the children in our group were terrified. The two children that led this hike were face to face with a coiled snake rattling its tail. The next snake siting was when several of us walked right past it without knowing, but the last two kids in the group saw it. It was resting under a log. Later we read on the brochure that rattlers are common on the hike."

YMMV. Apparently Mike C! hikes so fast the rattlers don't know what flew past them.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

Before hikers get too paranoid about rattlesnakes, keep a few things in mind. A snake can only strike at you if it is coiled. Even then, the maximum distance that it can strike is the length of one coil. Just for purposes of discussion, suppose that this is a very healthy snake that is 6 feet long. The maximum length of the largest possible coil is 3 feet. That means that the snake can only strike out a maximum of 3 feet to snag your leg. In reality, that maximum distance is more like 1 foot or 2 feet at most. Give the snake some respect, snap its photo from about 6 feet away, and then move on.
    –B.G.–

Nate Powell

@powell1nj

Locale: North Carolina

nevermind

Steven Evans
    BPL Member

@steve_evans

Locale: Canada

I'm not overly paranoid about the snakes. I just think I'll sleep a bit more comfortable in my bivy, knowing I have a paper thin piece of cuben fiber protecting me. :)

If I see one, that will be awesome! I'd take a picture, maybe pick it up and put it in my pocket so it can enjoy the hike with me, but other then that I would leave it alone.

Plus, this bivy is gonna be super light and it'll give me a chance to try it out.

obx hiker
    BPL Member

@obxer

This reminds me of the time ( also @ mid-may) we met the Tarantula crossing the State line road south of Dove Creek ( long ways from Zion but not so different) The Tarantula was headed towards Utah from Colorado.

My brother Fred ( the guy in my avatar) is kind of leaning wayyy over peering down at the Tarantula with his feet as far away as possible. Another buddy pipes up and says

" Say I wonder how high those things can jump? "

Really funny watching Fred Backup. Slowwwllyyy

Steve, I think Nick has it nailed on the snakes. Didn't dream that off-hand comment would generate so much fun but OTOH I stick with my original caveat. Be aware if you're down low > 5000 and it's a warm and sunny place on a warm day. I nearly stepped on a bed of 'em in April at Arches right on the west wall of the Fiery Furnace. Like Nick I don't worry about it ( We have LOTS of poisonous snakes @ here ) But it can't hurt to stay aware in the right conditions.

And is that you in the Tim Marshall quilt video? Or another rugged famous outdoor adventurer with a Canadian accent named Steve Evans?

Jay Wilkerson
    BPL Member

@creachen

Locale: East Bay

Just give them some simple respect–they are more scared of you then you of them.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Gosh,

I am sorry I started the snake-thing, we have hi-jacked Steve's thread. Bob G mentioned that a rattler can only "strike" from a coiled position. That is true, but it does not mean they cannot bite if they are not coiled. So keep your distance. Also, I have found that they do not necessarily rattle when you are close, but only when threatened. But don't assume they will not strike or bite if they don't warn with a rattle.

Where I live, they live, which is in the desert. So I am used to seeing them, but they are not as plentiful as most might think. I see most snakes at 5,000 – 7,000 feet.

My wife is terrified of snakes, and I think it detracts from here hiking enjoyment. She always sees the snakes before me, because she is focused/worried about them. But over the past 8 years, she has gotten better. She is slowly beginning to see that really are not a threat, unless we threaten them.

Bottom line is to enjoy your hike. If you are more comfortable with a shelter, footwear, leggings, etc. that will "protect" you, then use them. Better to carry a little more weight, than stress about it and ruin your trip.

Steven Evans
    BPL Member

@steve_evans

All this talk about snakes is starting to freak me out. Originally, I wanted a bivy so that one didn't slither in my quilt and spoon me in the night. Now that I've watched the videos, looked at the pictures, and googled "rattlesnake attacks on ultralight hikers", I'm starting to think I'm not cut out for this line of work! ;)

So in conclusion…the bivy is coming and I won't get drunk and play with rattlesnakes.

And is that you in the Tim Marshall quilt video? Or another rugged famous outdoor adventurer with a Canadian accent named Steve Evans?

HAHA! The one and only!

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

You will return safe and sound. You probably won't see any slithering critters.

But we do expect one outstanding trip report, since we have all invested so much time in you hike :)

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

"All this talk about snakes is starting to freak me out."

In Canada, all you have to worry about are snow snakes.

Maybe you should get a bivy sack made from Kevlar, and then get a pet mongoose to guard your camp.

–B.G.–

Scott Bentz
    BPL Member

@scottbentz

A few years ago we were hiking in the Golden Trout Wilderness, California. We were with a group of scouts and were trying to complete 20 miles that day. We had to hike down to a lower elevation, like 6500 ft., to get around some ridges. Anyway, as we were hiking, the adult leader stepped right over a young rattler without knowing it. The next person, my nephew, stepped RIGHT ON the snake and didn't even know it. My son, finally saw it and had everyone stop. After heading off the trail and regrouping it then made moves toward our group of 8. I had never seen that before. It was young and had a bit of bravado. That was one p'od' snake! We just moved around and headed out.

On our next to last day, close to the Forks of the Kern, we heard a rattler in a bush just off the trail. I think that thing must have been quite large because the rattles sounded huge. It knew how to defend its turf. Rattle and people will keep their distance.

Sorry for also hijacking the thread, but, it is important to be aware of hazards like snakes if they are in your area. If you plan on leaving your bag or shelter unattended for a side hike, etc. make sure to keep it closed up.

David Ure

@familyguy

"In Canada, all you have to worry about are snow snakes."

And Big Arse Bears

Russell Swanson

@rswanson

Locale: Midatlantic

My wife is also terrified of snakes. Even watching them on TV freaks her out. We took a trip out to Zion 4-5 years back and, after fretting about rattlers for weeks, she was reassured by a member of the staff of the lodge we were staying at that he'd never seen one in Zion in over a decade. So, first day out we're just starting a leisurely day hike on a trial in the canyon itself, right there off of the shuttle loop and she zooms on ahead, disappearing around a corner from our group only to come zooming back around a split second later just like she's in a cartoon. She's yelling "snake! snake!" We round the corner and sure enough there's a small, foot-long diamondback crossing the trail. He coiled up and gave us the warning and while we're commenting on how cute he is she's muttering about no rattlers in Zion. So, yeah they're there. But I wouldn't be worried about them.

For my 2 cents about gear…we were also there mid-May and it was HOT. We had temps in the high 90's for nearly a week and a few cases of mild heatstroke. I'd bring some type of electrolyte replacement powder in your emergency kit.

Steven Evans
    BPL Member

@steve_evans

Hey guys,
    All this talk in the other forums about poo made me do a little googlin' about Zion. What are people doing with it. I guess I really shouldn't bury it as the area seems rather fragile. If I pack it out, is there anywhere to dispose along my route or will I have 5 days of gold in my pack at the end. I always pack out TP, no matter where I am, so I'm just asking about the actual goods itself.

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

Up on the mesa there's enough biomass to break down the poo, cat holing as usual ought to do the trick. I've used wag bags in the Narrows and other canyons.

Steven Evans
    BPL Member

@steve_evans

David, thanks again for the info. I think I have everything covered now.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 53 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools