Topic

Baffles in a quilt

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Baffles in a quilt

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Evan Chartier
    Spectator

@evanchartier

Hey there-
    I am sewing the baffles to my quilt. Question: When all the baffles have been sewn to both the top and the bottom of the quilt and then I am ready to sew up one long side of the quilt from head to toe, wont I end up smashing down the baffles as I close up one side of the quilt? Should I be cutting my baffles a bit shorter than the width of the quilt so that when I sew up the sides of the quilt the baffles wont get incorporated into the outside seam and crushed, preventing the baffles from being the proper height?
    Thanks
    Evan
    Pics to come…

JM Addleman
    Spectator

@jaddleman

Locale: Eastern Sierra

Have you seen this? I was just looking at it earlier. I don't have personal experience, so I'm kind of confused about what you're describing, but Roger goes pretty in depth about how to construct baffles, so I thought that might help you.

Good luck! I'd love to see pictures if you can, I'm planning on doing lots of MYOG this summer.

Evan Chartier
    Spectator

@evanchartier

Thanks for the link. Too bad Im not a member though :(
    I will have to join once I get back from the PCT. Cant spend the $$ for access when I will be on the trail for the next 5 months, starting tuesday! But its one of the first things on the list when I get back, and have lots of time to read! What a great resource.
    Life member seems to be the best bet:)
    Anyone have some experience in the baffle department?
    Evan

Jamie Shortt
    BPL Member

@jshortt

Locale: North Carolina

Evan, I know exactly what you are referring to as I had the same question when I made my quilt. The answer is "to let the baffles run right to the edge and just sew the edge closed…yes smashing the baffles down." It is fine. The baffles are only smashed near the edge and the edge of the quilt is supposed to be flat.

Yes if you cut the baffles back say 1/4"-1/2" that works great to. It helps to keep the baffles out of the edge seam.

Jamie

Evan Chartier
    Spectator

@evanchartier

Awesome, thanks. I'll just make them go to the end and sew over them with the side seam. So many questions onthis quilt! :)
    Evan

Jamie Shortt
    BPL Member

@jshortt

Locale: North Carolina

Evan, You are most welcome. One thing you might want to do is see how thick the mesh when you run it to the edge. If it is creating a "bump" then cut it back a bit. You can safely cut it back as far as your seam allowance. So if you are folding the edge over twice by half an inch then you could cut it back an inch. I like the mesh to go into the seam a bit to make sure the down chambers are sealed, preventing down movement from one chamber to the next.

Good luck, Jamie

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools