Topic

Damascus, Va/ Grayson Highlands Weather in May?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips Damascus, Va/ Grayson Highlands Weather in May?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Craig Roberts

@homer

Locale: Midwest

What's the weather like in the high country during mid-May? Have never been there during that time of year. Want to go with an adequate kit. Lots of rain?

Frank Deland

@rambler

Locale: On the AT in VA

Spring rains are common, but rhododendrons might be blooming. Trail Days are in early May, I think, in Damascus. A big thru-hiker gathering, but a chance to see a lot of outfitters and their gear. The Highlands are beautiful.
    A good contact for you with info and shuttle service is Mt Rogers Outfitters, Damascus.

a few photos of the area:

http://outdoors.webshots.com/album/571488418DTNLCy

I be back in early May hiking to Pearisburg

Michael Martin

@thefridge

Locale: Mt Rogers

Hello Craig.
    I live at the base of WhiteTop and Mt Rogers at Grayson.
    We have approx 4 inches of ground snow sporadic along the trail. Freezing temps at night making a wet trail, icy early morning. Weather at Grayson, Wilburn Ridge can be as unpredictable as anywhere along the Appalachians with SUN, WIND, RAIN, SNOW, FREEZING RAIN, SLEET…..not to mention FOG.
    If you know when you plan to trek Grayson I can give you an uptodate real time on conditions.
    Fridge

Tom Clark
    BPL Member

@tomclark

Locale: East Coast

Fridge,
    Sounds like a great trip! I used to live down the road in TN, and have to say that Grayson is still one of my favorites. Part of the reason it the range of weather you can get throughout the year. The wild ponies are out there, so I'm sure Craig can do it…but good to be prepared. For that part of the country it can see some tough weather, but it has a great feel to it, and lots of nice sheltered spots to tarp in (and a few shelters).

Craig,
    It would be nice to have Fridge give you an up to the minute weather report so you can dial in your gear.
    Tom

Craig Roberts

@homer

Thanks everyone.

Fridge, I'll be going mid-May. If it's ok, I'll send you a note early May for weather conditions in the Highlands.

I see that you're going to Alaska in July? Sounds like an outstanding trip, one of a lifetime. On my bucket list.

Thanks again all,

Craig

Craig Roberts

@homer

Hi Tom,
    Saw the list of TD's vendors you posted. For me it'll be my first visit. Also nice to put some faces to those who've been feeding my gear frenzy during the transition to UL.
    Went to the Whites last fall, fell in love. Good thing I'm a rock hound, there was plenty of them!
    Looking forward to this Damascus(and northward)trip. Maybe see you there.

Craig

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools