Topic

BPL 2nd Snow trip

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips BPL 2nd Snow trip

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Backpack Jack
    BPL Member

@jumpbackjack

Locale: Armpit of California

Hi everybody. I'll do my best to post what I have, maybe others can add comments or pics. This trip started out with Me, Greg, and Mark at Grabtree trail head. We parked our cars and straped on snow shoes ( Me,Greg) and skis for Mark. The first part of the trail was nice and groomed, they were having some kind of race this weekend so we took advatage of the groomed trail. After about a mile it was time to brake trail with Greg taking the lead, Me then Mark. We left the trailhead around 10:30 with cloudy skies by the time we got to Aspen Meadow, our 1st stop for the 3 day 2 night hike, it was starting to snow. We made lunch under a porch,at one of the pack stations buildings, as it continued to snow. The forcast was for 12" of snow that night I think we got every bit of that and then some. Looking out from under the porch. snow

Greg staying warm. Greg

Its commin down let it snow! Burrrrrr

My Moment doing it's job. Moment

When will it stop!! More snow

Marc's snow cave and Greg's sleeping quarters Snow cave

We woke to 18* and made breakfast and enjoyed what Mother Nature had brought over night. Morning

Trees

Pristine meadow Meadow

I'll try to post the other 2 days tommorow. Thanks to David Luts for putting this together, I hope you are feeling better. Sorry about the snow cave pic I turned it around on my computer but it still came out sideways.Jack

Backpack Jack
    BPL Member

@jumpbackjack

I have more time so now more pics. Our hike came with a man made toilet.

Crapper

The Three Sister's(out buildings)

out buildings

Better pic of snow cave I hope (wrong)I hate my computer :(

Cave

Marc eating breakfastMarc

These trees were green the day before

Trees

Beautifull skies

Blue sky

The second group arrived on Sat. around 12:30 just in time for lunch. That group consisted of David L., David W., Kat We ate lunch and headed off to our next stop.

goofin off

We headed off through them there trees ya all.

No trail

David W

Behind us

Going up one steep A$$ hill.

What the !!!

WOW !!

Almost to the top

The top

Looking towards Yosemite, we're at the top cold and windy I had to put on a layer.

The top

Last one

Sorry guys I thought I had pics of the second camp but I guess I didn't take any. Maybe someone else can post them if they have any. The hike on the second day was steep and at least for me BRUTAL! KAT broke trail most of the way trading off with Greg ( you guys are animals )going to the second camp spot. When we got there it was COLD, my thermometer said 18* David L. took out his digital thermometer at 1st it read 34* right out of his pack but it steadily kept dropping until it finally read 14* right befor we went to bed at around 7:30 p.m. David and everyone else on the trip just a heads up on David's thermometer. I was going to buy one when I got home but did some reserch and found out that style only registers down to 14* so I'm thinking that it was definately down into the single digits the second night. I'm in the process of finding one that is small, records highs and lows and one that will go into the negative digits. If any one knows of such a beast please let me know. For now enjoy the pics. David L. I stll like you'rs and might get one anyway for the price you can't go wrong.

Robert Blean
    BPL Member

@blean

Locale: San Jose -- too far from Sierras

I'm in the process of finding one that is small, records highs and lows and one that will go into the negative digits. If any one knows of such a beast please let me know.

And, if you find one, please let us all know.

I understand the desire, but they are hard to find. I'm not sure the LCD display will do well that cold. It is easy to find a multi-function wrist watch that will measure to -4F — I have no idea how accurately, though, since it is necessarily on your body. (For winter use, needs to go to at least -20F, preferably at least -40F.)

would think the best bet would be a remote sensing one (keep the readout warm) — but that is heavy and bulky.

Roger — what do you know about this subject?

— MV

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

Does it have to be digital?

For decades, we've had old style red liquid thermometers that would record the lowest temperature. In a few cases, they would be coupled with a similar one next to it that recorded the highest temperature.

–B.G.–

Robert Blean
    BPL Member

@blean

Locale: San Jose -- too far from Sierras

@BobG — where do you get one, other than the type intended to mount on your back porch, which are scarcely "small", as requested?

We also used to have a Taylor tube-type min/max thermometer, but I don't know where to get one these days.

I did find this one on the Taylor web site. It looks like the digital equivalent of the older Taylor thermometers we all carried. It is min/max, and reads from -58°°F to 500°F / -50°C to 260°C. It is listed at Amazon ($28.99), but no weight is given.

This is the closest I have found on a fairly brief look-around tonight. I do not know how fragile it is, or what happens if its push-buttons get pushed in your pack, though.

–MV

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

Yup, it was probably a Taylor glass tube with minimum recording. It is in an aluminum case and weighs about 2 ounces. I'm within 20 feet of one right now, but it would take an archeological dig to go down far enough to find it.

I used to always set it in the snow outside my tent at night.

–B.G.–

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

> Roger — what do you know about this subject?
    I carry a Maxim-Dallas data logger for temperature and humidity, with a functioning temperature range of -40 C to +85 C.
    DS1922 Data Sheet

This does not give me a data readout in the field, but does give me a temperature profile right through the night, at (say) 5 minute intervals, thus:
    Temp & RH Profile Example

This data was uploaded onto my computer after we got home of course, and plotted out.
    Here the red is the relative humidity: there was a heavy fog for the first two days, then it fined up and the RH dropped.
    The dark blue is the temperature inside my pack – you will see that it stays similar to the the light blue, which was outside the pack getting some sun on the last day.
    The light blue sensor was in a black pocket on the outside of my pack: when the sun shone on the last day it got quite warm!

Finding a min/max liquid thermometer for -25 C (outside of a science catalogue) could be tricky … :-)
    Liquid crystals do NOT like sub-zero temperatures: try using your GPS at -30 C!

Cheers

Justin McMinn

@akajut

Locale: Central Oklahoma

Hey Roger,

How much is your data logger? I couldn't find anyone who sells them online.

These may not meet all of the specs, but Coghan's makes 4 devices that record the min/max temps http://www.coghlans.com/catalogue/productList.php?catID=4

I have one and they can be a little flaky. Sometimes one of the min/ max temps will be way too high or low.

Marc Eldridge
    BPL Member

@meld

Locale: The here and now.

Jack, Kat, Greg, Dave, Dave.

snow trip

The ill fated Igloo

snow trip

Backpack Jack
    BPL Member

@jumpbackjack

I found this one but it looks huge. http://www.partshelf.com/taylor5422.html Coghan's is the one that David L. had and somewhere I read on a spec sheet that it only records down to 14 degrees F.

Backpack Jack
    BPL Member

@jumpbackjack

I'm impressed Marc, good job. How was the rest of your weekend?

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Hi Justin

The Maxim-Dallas iButton devices can be bought direct from Maxim – they have a small-order web page at
    https://shop.maxim-ic.com/storefront/welcome.do

The data logger devices are at the bottom of this page:
    http://www.maxim-ic.com/products/ibutton/products/ibuttons.cfm#dataloggers

You will need a 'reader' as well – they are at the top of this page:
    http://www.maxim-ic.com/products/ibutton/products/adapters.cfm

The software is free, but it can be a little bewildering navigating through all the options and variations to get what you need. You WILL need the Java engine.

How much? Not sure – mine fell out of another project. :-)

The Coghlans (and other brands) things are instant readout things – I can't tell whether they have data storage. There are also some little devices on the market which are the Dallas iButton done up in a package with the adapter. Expensive.

Cheers

David W.
    BPL Member

@davidpcvsamoa

Locale: East Bay, CA

About 2 miles from the trailhead just before Aspen Meadow

Kat and Greg doing a yeoman's job breaking trail

Dave L and Jack nearing the top and about to take a view of the Emigrant Wilderness.

Thank you to Dave L for putting this together and driving up. Thank you to Greg for driving down. It was a pleasure to meet Greg and Marc and we had a great group once again. I'm looking forward to next time.

Dave W.

Hiking Malto
    BPL Member

@gg-man

Here is a picture of 4 tarptents (Squall, Contrail, Moment and Sublite) set up on night 2.
    tarptent city

Dave's MLD
    Dave's MLD

Breaking down Camp
    Breaking Down Camp

Great meeting the whole crew. Look forward to another adventure.

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

Brunton ADC Wind

The temperature range is -25°C to 60°C (-13°F to 140°F)

It records the hour average, for the past 24 hours.
    It does Not have a computer interface.
    You click forward and back, and write it down.

It agrees with my other analog and digital thermometers +/- 1° between them. (No NTS here.)

Brunton ADC Wind3
    This is as low as my home freezer goes. In real-life the display is crisp and high-contrast.
    The two values at the bottom are Minimum and Wind Chill

Personal experience is that it is very slow (many minutes) to respond, up or down. It has a night-light feature that lets you spot-check on those really cold nights.
    Generally I like it, but the OEM strap is junk.

1.85 ounces. 4.25" tall
    MSRP is $70. I found mine for $50 last year.

BTW – Great Trip Report! Thank you.

Backpack Jack
    BPL Member

@jumpbackjack

Thanks Greg, I think that will work. Kinda of what I was looking for but with more options.

Don Meredith
    Spectator

@donmeredith

Locale: SouthEast

+1 on the Brunton. I was initially concerned that it was kind of big for what it is but its actually a fairly small little device. Its certainly unnecessary but I have an obsession with tracking temperature and seeing how it varies with elevation and terrain. I guess that makes me a thermometer geek.

Don Meredith

My blog: lightpack.blogspot.com.

Backpack Jack
    BPL Member

@jumpbackjack

I made a quick video of our trip for anyone that wants to view it http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YkElteZbioU

Kat and Greg I don't have your email address they some how got erased, Please send it to my pm or my email. Thanks Jack

[email protected]

David W.
    BPL Member

@davidpcvsamoa

Locale: East Bay, CA

Thanks for putting together and sharing the video Jack.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools