Topic

3 season gear list

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists 3 season gear list

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    s.m. dettloff

@blindfaith101

Hi Everyone,

Below is a link to my gear list. I'm going to be hiking earlier in the season than ever before and I'm a little worried about having appropriate gear, especially clothing. I would really appreciate any comments/suggestions/etc. Just a quick note, I'm by no means "ultra light"….I wish! LOL If money were no object, I'd buy the lightest gear available. But alas, I have to live in the moment and at the moment, I'm a budget hiker :) Also, there are a few weight values missing as it's still a work in progress.

My first hike is taking place April 10th on the A.T. from Max Patch to Devils Fork Gap. I'm expecting overnight lows in the 30's and day highs in the 50's.

Thanks in advance!

http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0Ar368tgHWoGSdFQyQTlzN3BUYV9KVTc5ZmY5ZVdXZ2c&hl=en

Sarah

Chris Gray
    Spectator

@chrisfol

Locale: Denver, Coloado

As a budget hiker the cheapest option to bring your pack weight down is to nix some excessive gear from your pack. Leaving items at home costs nothing.

— nix one lightweight top and one lightweight bottoms and save 8.6oz

— You have listed your Columbia jacket as both an item worn and item carried. As an aside it is also triple the weight of other options out there.

— Three pair of socks and two sock liners. Nix the wool sleeping socks and use a pair of ankle socks. Save 2oz.

– Nix mini deodorant (seriously), save 1.3oz

– 4oz of bug spray– this seems like a lot– repackage into a 1oz dropper bottle ($1.20 from REI)– same goes for the sunscreen.

– GoGirl Urinal, Honestly– 10oz!!! Oh dear.

– You have 9.3 oz of sanitation! Camp soap, wet wipes and hand sanitizer– nix two and repackage. Save 8oz+.

– Nix the camp towel, use your bandana. Save 1.5oz

– You could also nix the Pocket Rocket and get an alcohol stove and save 2oz or so.

– Open Country 2 Quart Pot. A 2 Quart pot is a whole lot of pot for solo use and at 12oz it is heavy. Look at Anti-Gravity Gears 3-cup ($10) or 2 quart pot ($13) and save 6oz+

– Nix the extra batteries and just use brand new batteries for your headlamp. Save 3.5oz

– Cell phone, optional. I would leave in the car because battery won't last more than a day or two. Not sure on the signal on the AT. Save 4oz

– Nix the Spot. You are on a trail!

– Nix the paper towel. Use your bandana. Save 1.2oz
    – You also mention a bear bag rope, but no bear bag??

Just by nixing the items with weight mentioned you can save around 3LB from your gear and it costs you less than $20.

s.m. dettloff

@blindfaith101

Thanks for the suggestions!

I HATE the spot but my traveling companion insists on it (I generally make her carry it since it is HERS so I guess I should remove it from my list).

I know the pot is big….I should have mentioned that I'm hiking with a partner and we share some gear (sanitary items included).

I think I will nix the camp towel, wool socks, bandanna, deodorant, extra batteries, and cell phone.

I'm glad you mentioned the coat, I have serious reservations about it as well. Last year I took a lightweight, packable "rain jacket" that didn't keep me dry AT ALL. I go back and forth on whether or not to take a coat. Maybe I should just take another light fleece and if it rains…I get wet, big deal. Or maybe just take a rain poncho? Same goes for my rain pants – do I really need them?

Thanks again!

Sarah

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools