Topic

Esbit fuel tabs

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Multiple Use Gear Esbit fuel tabs

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    dan kutcher

@danscapes49

Obviously, you can cook with them (best for solo, boil only meals).

I’d been carrying around fire starters of one sort or another for years.
    After trying Esbit and adopting it as my favorite go-light fuel, I reasoned “Why not take it as back-up fuel or as a fire starter when using another stove? – I can’t cook on the firestarters, but I sure can on the Esbits”! Carrying the Esbits insured that I got my hot cup of coffee when I was on a section hike of the A.T. with my son, and the Pocket Rocket ran out of fuel the last night out.

Yukio Yamakawa

@jsbjsb

Locale: Tokyo,JAPAN

Thank you!
    I also use TRIOXANE instead of ESBIT.

Pot is not Stained Dirt

This When a fault opens, it is easy to evaporate. Since it is an aluminum pack, it does not need worries, in being common.
    When you leave a remainder by the half, be careful.

Bernard Shaw

@be_here_nowearthlink-net

Locale: Upstate New York

Thanks for the ideas. As I have been told they do have some advantages. On the other hand I read a listing of BTU output of various fuels and it is quite allot lower than Esbit fuel. If this matters it may be a consideration to go with Esbit fuel.

Vick Hines

@vickrhines

Locale: Central Texas

Trioxane has a lower heat output and gives off nasty fumes. It is polymerized formaldehyde. After you open the packets, it deteriorates – and outgasses formaldehyde everywhere.

There is a good reason all that trioxane is surplus. Soldiers wouldn’t use it.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I keep a couple Esbit tabs in my essentials kit for fire starting or cooking. Cheap and easy.

The ultimate fire starter is a road flare, but they are too heavy for packin’. I figure they would scare off a bear or cougar if you had the chance to get hold of it and light it.

GARY JACKSON

@asmjackson

Locale: Orange County

I always thought the scariest part of the flare was lighting it. If you took just the brown igniter blob and the cap with the striker, you would probably get two or three good strong sparks with a lot of noise. Granted, some could get on your hand, but a second degree burn is easier to treat than a bear or cougar bite.
    Come to think of it, you wouldn't make as much noise, but a knife and sparker/fire starter may be unsettling enough to make the animal think twice. As long as you stamped out any sparks on the ground afterwards!

Sorry, I got off subject

Jon Rhoderick
    BPL Member

@hotrhoddudeguy

Locale: New England

well fire is what stopped those darn sabre toothed tiger stealing our meat many moons ago so I spose that would make perfect sense, and if you had two you could throw one.

Corey Miller

@coreyfmiller

Locale: Eastern Canada

Esbit tabs and a slingshot? Lightweight multi function cougar flaming machine! Eat cooked couger to leave no trace!

Brian Ahlers

@bahlers7

Locale: Idaho

Now that's funny!

Jerry Cagle
    BPL Member

@xclimber

Locale: Southwest

In my admittedly limited experience with them they appear to go out quite easily in the slightest breeze… I have a fairly sizeable stash, but hate the odor… If someone in the Tucson area wants them I'll let them have them for the low price of FREE…!

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

I too use ESBIT as tinder for my Caldera Cone Sidewinder ti Inferno woodburning stove.

But… I also take the Sidewinder's ESBIT tab holder, the "Gram Cradcker", just in case I can't get a wood fire burning during an all-day rain.

That Sidewinder setup is so efficient that I use at least 1/3 less ESBIT fuel than befor with my Vargo Triad stove base & MSR foil wind screen.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools