Topic

Jetboil weight question

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Jetboil weight question

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Michael Meiser

@mmeiser

Locale: Michigan

Has anyone weighed the standalone jetboil pot without cozy or heat exchanger?

It has a nice form factor, was considering buying it as a standalone UL pot for use with alcohol / iso / whitgas but heard it was heavy.

sheila o
    BPL Member

@bumpass

Locale: The Far Left Coast? : /

The heat exchanger is attached to the pot. The PCS measurements are similar to the MLD850 or SP MiniSolo.

Konrad .
    BPL Member

@konrad1013

sorry, i just packed mine up to ship to a buyer so I don't have it in hand. But Im not sure if its possible to strip the heat exchanger off of it. Either way, the aluminum they use is over kill, and it is indeed a heavy pot. If you want a cheap, aluminum pot, that is highly useable, and very affordable, there is no better pot that the IMUSA, in terms of value
    https://www.end2endtrailsupply.com/Imusa_Mugs.html

Its just not worth the money to buy a jetboil companion cup, only to strip it of all its features. But if you're dead set on buying a pot thats affiliated with a outdoor company of some sort, check out gear swap. There is a GSI double boiler for sale there. Similar profile to the Jetboil cup, and better suited for what I think your plans are

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=30140

Hope this helps!

sheila o
    BPL Member

@bumpass

Locale: The Far Left Coast? : /

mm…..your idea may work.
    The pot WITH the heat exchanger=5.5oz
    It appears that it could be pryed off which should drop the weight alot.
    It can hold > 3cups.
    I may have an extra pot to sell. PM me if interested.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

> The pot WITH the heat exchanger=5.5oz
    > It appears that it could be pryed off

Ahhh … Not, I suspect, without doing a lot of structural damage to the pot. Why on earth one would try this I can't see yet.

Cheers

Michael Meiser

@mmeiser

Locale: Michigan

Don't think I'm going to go this direction based on comments.

Would be interesting to try it at some point with alcohol and other stoves, but I don't think I'm going to try it right now.

-Mike

Derek Goffin

@derekoak

Locale: North of England

I was forced to use my jetboil pot with hexamine (esbit) when I could not buy gas in the Canaries. As you might expect It seemed more efficient than my hexamine specific little pot. Water boiled when I expected it to just get hot.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools