Topic

Replacing pack compression straps w/cord + Line Loc 3?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Replacing pack compression straps w/cord + Line Loc 3?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Eugene Smith
    BPL Member

@eugeneius

Locale: Nuevo Mexico

Just out of curiousity, has anyone ever replaced their pack compression straps w/ 1-3mm cord and Line Locs like the cord specific ladder locs Ron Bell uses on his tarp tieouts? I can't recall seeing a pack done this way, can anyone point me towards one cause I'd like to see it? It would be an easy mod to do and could possibly save a few ounces or so depending on the pack.

Any thoughts? Or is this just bogus? It seems like traditional 1/2 compression straps are sometimes overkill for pack loads under 20lbs. and a simple cord would be sufficient for maintaining pack load.

John Donewar
    BPL Member

@newton

Locale: Southeastern Texas

Eugene,

Non-Stretch Compression Cordage is the term ULA uses for their pack compression system on their Ohm pack.

Copy and paste this link to your address bar to see a picture of it.

http://www.ula-equipment.com/ohm.asp

In their FAQ they describe the hows and whys of their design. ULA uses cord locks in their system. Line locs seem like a workable option.

Careful the MYOG Bug bites hard! :-)

Party On ! 2010

Newton

Eugene Smith
    BPL Member

@eugeneius

Locale: Nuevo Mexico

Hey John,

Yeah, I really like the Ohm design and the full length compression. It's quite similar to the Amp. I think that idea is really innovative and works well. I have a Granite Gear Virga and I was considering the idea of retrofitting Linelocs in place of all the traditional plastic ladder locks and swapping in cord for all the top, side and rear 3/4" compression webbing. There's tons of that stuff on there and using lightweight cording would cut considerable weight. I'm gonna toy around with the idea some more.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Vaude has done just that for some time. It just needs to be anchored well. Note that it goes through the side pocket webbing and can go over or under the items in the pocket and zig-zags up the side As you can see, they use cord for the ice axe loops.

Vaude pack

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

Eugene,
    You won't get much 'compression' out of 3mm cord and toggles, but you will be able to suck up any empty volume. A 1/2" strap facilitates serious applications of force, and consequent reduction in volume of compressible items.

All that said, I have an Ohm with this system and it is a pleasure to use, especially when I use the pack as a mid-trip "day pack". the volume goes to almost zero, making it a pleasure to carry.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools