Topic

Utah – March 19 – 23

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips Utah – March 19 – 23

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Ryan Longmire
    BPL Member

@longmire

Locale: Tejas

I will be in Provo for business next week and have a few days (19th-23rd) to play before I catch my flight home.

I'm completely open to suggestions whether its base camp and day hikes, overnighter, two-nighter, whatever. I will likely rent a car unless I can somehow avoid it.

I know its last minute planning, but I'm just glad I'll have a few days to enjoy Utah after a busy week!

Jack H.

@found

Locale: Sacramento, CA

Well, nearly the entire state, outside of the Saint George area, will be covered in snow. Are you up for skiing, snowshoeing or postholing?

Ryan Longmire
    BPL Member

@longmire

Would like to avoid snowshoeing. Postholing I can handle in small doses. Skiing was my fallback if I couldnt find acceptable hiking conditions.

I figured I would need to head south to have a chance..

Jack H.

@found

One of the only likely snow free backpacking trips that I know of in the state would be Coal Pits wash. I was heading there today, but got sick and it's supposed to rain/snow tomorrow.

http://www.zionnational-park.com/zion-park-coalpits.htm

Jack H.

@found

Note that there is a lot of snow melting around these southern regions. The washes may be running strong and deep. Coal Pits could have some sweet waterfalls.

Ryan Longmire
    BPL Member

@longmire

Thanks, Jack. The Coal Pits do look interesting. Would make a nice day hike it seems. Some snow is fine, just not waist-deep-posthole snow.

Anything around Escalante that wouldnt be too snowy? I ask because I found some cheap cabins that I could "base" out of.

I realize weather events could change everything between now and then, but just exploring options.

James Arriola
    BPL Member

@ravs4fun

Locale: Desert Southwest

Ryan,

I just talked to a backcountry Ranger yesterday at Zion and he said that they have received a lot of rain in the canyon and snow higher up on the rims at Zion. He seemed to think that the Coal Pits wash area will have some running water in the wash. There are a couple of springs on the hike but with all of the recent rains water shouldn't be a problem.

Coal Pits wash is the lowest part of Zion and doesn't get all of the snow that the rims do.

The Escalante area is a great hiking area. If you went to that area you would need to do some hikes pretty far down in the Hole in the Rock road such as Davis Gulch or closer to Lake Powell to avoid snow and ice. Call the inter-agency visitor center in Escalante to get more hiking info.

Have a great trip.

Jack H.

@found

I hike virtually every day around here. I likely know the Zion ranger, and know more about current conditions. Coal Pits is indeed currently snow free, and most assuredly has water in it. Escalante is covered in snow, including all the canyon bottoms. I was there about two weeks ago and cut my backpacking trip short because of too much snow. It's only snowed more since then.

Video here.

Ryan Longmire
    BPL Member

@longmire

James, thanks for your input.

So anything besides Coal Pits since that would just be one day hike?

Maybe I need to look at snowshoeing or just stay up north and ski.

obx hiker
    BPL Member

@obxer

I'd go to Bluff and do Comb Ridge.

Jack H.

@found

I don't know of any other backpacking trips around. I've got a handful of other hikes in the Saint George area though if you want to hear about them.

Anyone know what the conditions are like in Southeastern Utah right now?

Go ask at bogley.com it's a much better resource for utah hiking.

obx hiker
    BPL Member

@obxer

Muddy. Better have access by paved road is what I hear. Course you can't get much further away in the lower 48 from SE Utah than the OBX.

Comb Ridge is low and you can get to it. Plus you'll be walking on rock almost all the way.

Maybe lower Kanab creek is accessible. When it gets wet in that country it's hard to get around! On Cedar Mesa GGulch might be accessible via Bullit and Johns Canyon or Slickhorn ought to be accessible though you might have to park out near 261 and walk to the trailhead.

Craig Burton

@missingutah

Locale: Smoky Mountains

Was just out in Southeastern Utah. Muddy, it is indeed, but south of the plateau that Moki Dugway climbs (not sure the name of it) is fine and most roads are accessible. Everything north of it is packed with thick snow. There are some decent areas along the San Juan River and you can also try the Valley of the Gods. I'm pretty sure the entire land south of the San Juan River is tribal land so its unlikely you can secure a permit with such short notice. It's certainly not the nicest area of Utah, but you can still have some fun out there.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools