Topic

soft shell??

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear soft shell??

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    mario hosay

@silkroute

Locale: Upstate NY

Hi there,
    I have recently purchased a soft shell jacket. its a stretch woven polyester with some kind of DWR treatment.

the jacket fits me fine except from the sleeves. they are little too long. there are some reinforced fabric stitched at the end of the sleeves. if I take that part out (how difficult is it, it seems like they are nicely stitched), the sleeves would be of proper length. whats the best way to do it without damaging the jacket?

I also would like to add a valcro strap at the end of the sleeves so that I can close it tight. what is the best way to do that.

how much should it cost? shoud I just go to a tailor? if I do it by myself, what kind of tools do I need, where can I get the valcro that would be appropriate for a soft shell jacket.

should I stitch the valcro to the jacket fabric or is there any high performing glue that I could use?

I am begging for your help.. thanks

Jimmy M. Harris

@jimh

I think this is your best bet…

http://www.specialtyoutdoors.com/about/whatis.asp

mario hosay

@silkroute

Locale: Upstate NY

thanks for the link.

I was more inclined to do it myself. but, if its not possible, then I would have to look for other options.

the point is I paid only $19 for the jacket (MSRP $150).

and soft shell is really not my thing. thats why I dont really want to spend a lot of money on this.

thanks

Jonas Nywall

@jonas

I dont think that any Soft shell require any special threatment, since it doesnt have any membrane. Just go at it like it was any ordinary stretch fabric, ie. use a stretchy seam like a narrow sig-sag on a normal machine.

I would probably just cut the arms to fit me and sew a velcro strap to it…
    Reuse the edge band (if there is any)

If you are creative you could probably sew a strap out of the cutoff material.

/jonas

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools