Topic

HOW LONG IS A PIECE OF STRING?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) HOW LONG IS A PIECE OF STRING?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    b willi jones
    BPL Member

@mrjones

Locale: best place in the world !?

kia ora, i was wonderin what length tie-out line yall use on your tarps? do you keep them attatched or just hook em up depending on the type of pitch? 2 long on the corner, one long at the center edge? i just got a mld monk tarp which came with one length of line and dont know if i need to carry the full amount. thanks for any input.

Roger B
    BPL Member

@rogerb

Locale: Denmark

Others who have a Monk Tarp may be able to give a better suggestion, for tarping I carry a selection of lengths, something like 4 pieces 0.5 m long and 4 pieces 1 m long, though it does depend on the type of tarp you are using.
    With the Monk Tarp you may even use some very short lengths for the ground pitches (say around 0.3m) I usually pre tie a loop in one end unless the tarp has linelocs.

Cayenne Redmonk
    BPL Member

@redmonk

Locale: Greater California Ecosystem

Depends on how you want to be able to pitch it.

P1040144.JPG
    P1040651.JPGP1040652.JPG
    It can be pitched with just one long guyline, and five pegs.

P1040240.JPG
    high corner pitch with one long line, and a few short ones.

IMG_0641
    A frame needs longer lines. With the spectralite version I use sticks to achieve a wider, flatter pitch. I think the other versions provide a bit more coverage. I don't know how long they are, maybe 7-8 foot for the long ones, and 3-5 feet for the shorter ones. 5 feet seems really long, I haven't measured. I set my tarp up with some cheap kite string to figure out what I like, and then cut the real lines to match.

Jay Wilkerson
    BPL Member

@creachen

Locale: East Bay

Nice pics Cameron- Now were talk in!

b willi jones
    BPL Member

@mrjones

Locale: best place in the world !?

thanks for that,Cameron those photos are cool. ive tried a few things out and have got it under control. if i look hard enough i see i have spare cord all around me anyway, on a jacket, the draw cord on my pack …

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools