Topic

Best way to repair a Platypus

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Best way to repair a Platypus

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Locale: Wisconsin

Hey, I can't seem to find the Platypus patch kits, nor does a search yield an answer here on BPL (though I'm sure its buried here somewhere).

What is best to repair a hole in a Platypus bladder?

Jay Wilkerson
    BPL Member

@creachen

Locale: East Bay

Buy a new one!

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

D'OH!

In the field smart a$$! :-)

Jay Wilkerson
    BPL Member

@creachen

Locale: East Bay

All kidding aside– I have used duct tape before in the field but it did not last that long.. REI should have Platy patch kits. Would Sil-net work if it was a small enough hole.

Tony Wong
    BPL Member

@valshar

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Travis,

Off hand, the only things that I can think of is duct tape or maybe some seal sealer, if you have some in your repair kit.

I do have some of Platypus patches and they are not water tight, depending on where the leak is.

At home, I am going to see if some clear silicon caulking thinned out will make a decent lightweight patch.

-Tony

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there
    EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

I tried googling for the patch and they really have disappeared! Strange…

Lori P
    BPL Member

@lori999

Locale: Central Valley

I used leukotape on a Camelbak and it held for the duration of the rest of the trip (bout a week). Or so the guy said – his pack stayed dry. Duct tape seems to slide off hydration bladders. But I think I would take a leak as a sign of deterioration unless it was a puncture… and get a new bladder.

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Thanks everyone. Would a patch from say, a Big Agnes Air Core affix itself to the Platy plastic? I may have to do a test on that.

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

If it's "manufacturer defect" – failing at a crease, leaking around the outlet, delaminating – just send them back. No RMA needed.

We send in several at a time to save on postage.

Brian Vogt
    BPL Member

@slickhorn

works great for me. a small bottle is very light and can be used for many purposes.

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Brian,
    do you use it with a piece of patching material, or just the superglue by itself, say, for a puncture?

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

"We send in several at a time to save on postage."

You make it sound like these failures are routine! Are they?

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Oh, for the record, I don't have any with a hole in it. I just need to be prepared for such an occasion on the trail.

Warren Greer
    Spectator

@warrengreer

Locale: SoCal

thebikeshack.com for $1.99. Haven't ordered yet. But seems a great deal. I will use them for patching a BA Clearwater sleeping pad. I may also try some clear duct tape I have. It is plastic and has no cloth, so it would probably work too.

ERIC PAYNE
    Spectator

@vaporjourney

Locale: Greater Gila

a combination of superglue and duct tape seems to work pretty well for me. But really, all repairs are just putting off the inevitable leak from seams, which is a free replacement thru Cascade Designs…

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools