Topic

Solo Cuben Fiber Tarp

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Solo Cuben Fiber Tarp

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 17 posts - 26 through 42 (of 42 total)
  • Author
    Ross Bleakney
    BPL Member

@rossbleakney

Locale: Cascades

>> Opinions?

That tent sounds great to me. I own a Refuge X and I would sell mine and buy that. I personally am not fond of the Refuge X design, as it's apex is a long way from where I lay my head at night. I feel a bit claustrophobic. That being said, I know I'm in the minority, so I know I would have no problem selling that tent.

I'm not totally sure I understand how your tent is significantly different than the Contrail. Do you mean because of the materials and size, or because of the design? Two poles in the front would make it more like the Squall 2 (although the Squall 2 has a small pole connecting the trekking poles). These are all minor tweaks on the same design, of course — I'm mostly just curious as to how your design would differ from the TarpTent. By the way, I don't want to suggest you are copying, only that TarpTent provides a very easy model to compare tweaks. It is a pretty intuitive design that has been around a long time — the reason TarpTent is so popular is because Henry has done marvelous tweaking.

Also, I wonder if you gain much by making it 1.5 person. The Contrail/Squall 2 have very good sizing, in my opinion. I wouldn't want either tent to be bigger or smaller. But a lot of this depends on how the numbers pan out. You make a nice, roomy one person tent (or tight two person tent) and get the weight down really low, and it will sell easily.

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Locale: Wisconsin

Besides the Refuge X, all other cuben shelters are super minimal, ie, tarps. If you could make a tarptent style shelter in a design that people are comfortable and familiar with, I think that'd be a selling point also. Practicality issues aside, I'd love a Moment, Double Rainbow, or Contrail in cuben.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

"all other cuben shelters are super minimal, ie, tarps"

Potato, potatoe

I wouldn't call the MLD DuoMid a super minimal shelter, though it is, by itself, floorless. But it's got lots and lots of room. And you can get an innernet.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

I really, really like the design of the Hexamid. The Twin has plenty of room. You only need one pole for the single, two for the Twin. I really like the removable doors — put 'em on when it's nasty, leave 'em off when its nice, light enough to carry all the time if you've a mind to. Joe made me a nice cuben floor to go along with mine. If I could change one thing (which I'll be asking him about if he ever gets caught up! Go Joe!), it would be to sew the cuben floor in — mesh to floor like Henry's tarptents. That, to me, would be the near perfect shelter (not counting my Warbonnet Blackbird, a heavier, near perfect shelter…..)

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

DuoMid-oh yeah, forgot it was offered in cuben.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

"DuoMid-oh yeah, forgot it was offered in cuben."

Oh yeah! It's a fabulous shelter. And Ron made me a sil floor for mine (basically the innernet without the mesh) for colder weather when creepy crawlies aren't an issue. Very light, lots of room, and with the sil floor plenty of room to stretch out!

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

How are those in wind/storms?

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Never had mine in one, but others have said they've held up fine to strong winds.

Lawson Kline
    BPL Member

@mountainfitter

Silnylon vs. Cuben Floor. Which would you rather see?

. .
    BPL Member

@biointegra

Locale: Puget Sound

@ Lawson –

re. Color of Cuben: stick with white (cheapest + clasic)

re. Style: I would love to see a Cuben dome tent for Alpine use. It could be double walled, with a .8oz. nylon inner…or micro-perforated .33 cuben inner!

re. Floor: SilNylon has a significant better track record…but what about laminating 3mm closed cell foam (@ about the same weight as SilNylon), reinforcing it with cuben where necessary for combating stretch. I don't know why no one is doing this yet – surely it's been tried. The thermal break of the foam + the waterproof-ness + the cushion would be ideal in my book.

drowning in spam

@leaftye

Locale: SoCal

Cuben fiber floor because it can be patched in the field with duct tape.

Frank Deland

@rambler

Locale: On the AT in VA

I like the idea of seamless or no-stitch ridgelines.
    http://wiki.backpackinglight.com/Cuben_Fiber
    I like a tarp with at least one end closure option (eg. Gossamer Gear SpinnShelter vs. SpinnTwinn and Flat Tarp models at Owareusa)). I like the price of cuben tarps at zpack.com compared to the $300 range, but with the fabric sold retail at c. $30/yard, even MYOG are not inexpensive.
    I like a solo tarp big enough to be pitched with at least one side down to the ground. For example, I made a tarp based on the specs found below, but found it only pitches well when pitched quite high. Maybe, I just goofed in the sewing. (Higher than the length of my 120 cm trekking pole)
    http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/make_your_own_gear_5_yards_to_sul_part_3.html
    I like three pull-out ties, not just one in the middle along the side edges. These not only help a taugt pitch, but also helps deflect rain as far out to the sides as possible. (like gossamer's tarps)
    6' width is about as small as I would have, ie. needing a seam, wider than the average cut width of 58"-60"., so I like youe dimensions for a solo tarp.

David Lisak

@davelisak

Locale: Grand Canyon hiker

I have been using a GG Spin Twin for solo use, and I love the fact that I get adequate coverage from wind blown rain (I'm 6'2"), I can keep my gear out of the rain, and I don't need to use a bivy, and I can get all of this because the lightness of spinnaker does not overly penalize me. Now if you offer me the same advantages at an even lighter weight, I will eventually succumb and buy one.

Ross Bleakney
    BPL Member

@rossbleakney

Locale: Cascades

>> Silnylon vs. Cuben Floor. Which would you rather see?

That's a hard one. I'm not sure about the abrasion resistance of Cuben. I would hate to find out the hard way. Although, it is my understanding that it resists rips fairly well. I think the big plus of Silnylon is that if you rip it, replacing it is fairly cheap. So, I guess if the Cuben is roughly the same price, I think it work fine (worse case scenario, you replace with Silnylon later on).

Greg Lewis
    BPL Member

@gpl916

Locale: PNW

I have a Duomid on the way (thanks Greg) and my plan is to sew in a strip of omni tape around the perimeter. Then I can add a removable bug skirt, or a mesh panel with a Sil or Cuben floor. I have some extra Sil and noseeum mesh laying around so I will probably make the first one out of that.

I think that will give me the most options at the least weight. I basically want a shelter that is as versatile as possible. This way I can use it as a regular tent for backpacking with my son, to a floorless four season shelter. It will get it's test this summer as I will be using it in the Grand Canyon in May, and on Rainier in June.

Thoughts on this approach?

gl

Lawson Kline
    BPL Member

@mountainfitter

No need to wait any longer. MLD has made a narrower version of what I proposed.

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

That design looks a lot like the Gossamer Gear SpinnShelter, which I own and like a lot.

Viewing 17 posts - 26 through 42 (of 42 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools