Topic

Vail, CO Backpacking

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips Vail, CO Backpacking

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Nate Powell

@powell1nj

Locale: North Carolina

Howdy. I'm going to be working in Vail this summer (June and July). Haven't done much backpacking in the area but I'm hoping to remedy that. Any recommendations for good trails/places to go in that general area? I'm thinking most of my trips are going to be overnights or maybe 2 nights due to my work schedule. Driving time is a consideration for the same reason. Any input is appreciated! Also, I'd love to meet up with folks who live out there for a trip sometime. Thanks.

Dean F.
    BPL Member

@acrosome

Locale: Back in the Front Range

What do you mean by "in the general area?"

Vail is sort of between Holy Cross and Eagle's Nest wildernesses on this map:

http://www.coloradowilderness.com/wildpages/map.html

So you're also near Mt Massive, Hunter-Fryingpan, Flat Tops, and Maroon Bells. Well, actually the last two are a bit west on 70, but totally doable if you'll have a car, and I've heard great things about them both. (They are on my list for this summer.) A good chunk of the CT is just south of Vail, too, IIRC.

Or do you want hikes you can just walk to from Vail?

Nate Powell

@powell1nj

Locale: North Carolina

Thanks for the reply Dean. By general area I'm thinking within an hour's drive of Vail, maybe a bit longer. I'd be interested to hear from folks who live in the area about some trails that don't have really high traffic – if such trails exist :) Anyway, thanks for the input.

Hiking Malto
    BPL Member

@gg-man

There is a sweet trail within a couple of miles east of Vail going up to Booth Lake. Very cool area. There is another trail just east going up to Pitkins Lake that likely could be accessed X-country for a nice loop. All within walking distance of the town. Your lucky to get an opportunity to spend a summer in such a cool place.

Gary Dunckel
    BPL Member

@zia-grill-guy

Locale: Boulder

Both Booth and Pitkin are splendid hikes, but I'm not sure you can make a loop out of it–the drainages are separated by a seriously steep and rocky ridge. Might involve a bit of technical work. Maybe Greg M. or Dondo know about this?

There's also the Gore Creek trail going east from the head of the Vail valley up to Red Buffalo pass, which then descends east to a network of trails (and loops) which can lead you down to either Silverthorn, Frisco, or Copper Mountain. You can access the loops from those trailheads, and avoid the issue of a shuttle.

Aaron Armstrong

@traderaaron

Locale: Colorado

There is a loop you can do starting from East Vail that I think is really great.

Gore Creek to Gore Lake, from there to Snow Lake, up Snow Pass (basically a mountain goat trail) with a trip up to Snow Peak then down to Deluge Lake with trips up to Grand Traverse Peak and/or Valhalla Peak, back down where you started.

Lots of wildflowers, great peaks, great views, Mountain Goats, Deer, trail head starts in East Vail but you don't see very many people once you get up high.

Message me if you'd like more information.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools