Topic

Brynje mesh baselayers

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Brynje mesh baselayers

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Ben Wald

@benwald

We’ve had more than our usual quota of precipitation in the PNW this year, and so I’ve been looking for quick-drying clothing, especially baselayers.

Capilene holds more water than I would like. For example, after a 4.5 oz top was dunked in a bucket of water and then wrung out, it weighed 14 oz. So the capilene is holding 200% of its weight in water. Of course it’s not going to get that wet in normal use, but after several rainy days it could get pretty wet.

Brynje (http://www.brynje.no/public/index.php?cccpage=hovedside&set_language=en) claims that it’s mesh baselayers
    absorb only 30% of their weight in water. Has anyone tried the thermomesh or micromesh? Any comments on performance and weight?

Vick Hines

@vickrhines

Locale: Central Texas

Net undergarments have been used off and on since WWII. It was popularized by Collin Fletcher (The Complete Walker) The idea was that worn under a windproof layer, the net trapped air and provided insulation. Allowed to breathe, it would provide evaporative cooling. Warming and cooling in one garment… Kalu, Kalay.

Unfortunately, the original cotton net had all the disadvantages of cotton. In addition, the net would emboss your shoulders under the pack straps leaving you with a neat pattern of blood blisters, bruises and abrasions. The solution was to make the shoulder and yoke from regular jersey knit. I’ve still got one of those. I think they stopped making them around 1975.

Brynje makes cotton and polypro mesh underwear. Their claim that the polypro products won’t absorb water is probably accurate. I don’t have any of their stuff, so I can’t say if the mesh is deep enough to do the jobs of both warming and cooling. The opinion current with the older products was that the mesh should be at least 3/32 of an inch deep and preferably closer to 1/16″ to function properly. I see that Brynje’s tops are all mesh. Therefore, I suspect they are likely to be uncomfortable under pack straps.

Anders Bentsen
    BPL Member

@andben

Locale: Oppdal

Check this link :http://www.brynje.no/public/?set_language=en&cccpage=webshop_l1&set_z_qm_product_grp1=9
    They have models with jersey on the shoulders. I’ve used them and they’re great.

Ben Wald

@benwald

As Anders points out, it seems that Brynje still make a backpackers version of the thermomesh, with jersey fabric on the shoulders and mesh elewhere.

Anders, can you give us some idea of the maximum comfortable temperature for thermomesh? Is it useful in rainy weather a few degrees above freezing, or is it strictly a winter garment? Also, would the thermomesh be useful with just a windshirt on top, or do you need to add a midlayer? Finally, how does Brynje compare with ‘normal’ baselayers, eg Lifa ?

Vick Hines

@vickrhines

Wow! I missed that when I checked their site.

Marius Bunes
    Spectator

@marius

Brynjes slogan is “the original & authentic viking wear”. Vikings did not use polypropylene. The name is norwegian for “chainmail”.

I have never used brynjes underwear, but the norwegian army mesh shirt is certainly working in the way described erlier in this thread. Luckily, the grid pattern fades with time…

Anders Bentsen
    BPL Member

@andben

Locale: Oppdal

I’ve been using the top in winter under a windproof. If it gets too cold adding a wool baselayer over the mesh.
    Under a waterproof near freezing temps it’s good. So it works with a windshirt as well. If it gets wet it dries quickly and you may use it for prolonged periods without smelling too much. I think the mesh works better than most synthetic baselayer.I have no experience with Lifa so I can’t say. But I’ve been using Helly-Hansen Prowool and that works to. But the mesh dries quicker than most.
    In windy conditions it’s best to use with a windshirt, the wind cuts right through without.

Ben Wald

@benwald

Anders, thankyou for describing the performance of the mesh baselayers in cold, wet and windy weather. The fast-drying mesh sounds like it could work well in the wet PNW. I’ve emailed Brynje to ask about the weights of several garments, and if they reply then I’ll post the weights here.

Vick Hines

@vickrhines

I emailed Brynge to see about US availability of tops with non-mesh overlays. They are available only directly from the company. Neither of the 2 US outlets carries them.

I liked the old cotton net stuff well enough to give Brynge a try.

David Olsen
    Spectator

@oware

Locale: Steptoe Butte

I have a polyprop mesh top that you can have. I believe it might be a second cause the neck is very
    large. Email me an address.

I much prefer the old wool ones, softer than the
    cotton and all the benifits of wool. I haven’t found
    a modern source for them.

Vick Hines

@vickrhines

David,
    Sure. I’d like to try it.
    [email protected]
    I’ll bounce you the address.
    Thanks

Douglas Frick
    BPL Member

@otter

Locale: Wyoming

> so I’ve been looking for quick-drying clothing, especially baselayers.

You might check out Underarmor stretchy compression shirts (80% polyester/20% spandex). Similar shirts are occasionally available under the brand name Athletic Works at WalMart, and under the brand name NordicTrack at Sears. I get mine completely soaked and it dries fairly quickly when the rain stops (15-20 minutes). When completely wet and allowed to stop dripping, it still holds 125% of its weight in water. Regardless, this is my shirt of choice for hiking in Hawaii (my Capilenes never did dry out there). If it isn’t raining then the shirt stays mostly dry because it moves moisture so well.

Just an alternative to consider.

Ben Wald

@benwald

Douglas, thanks for the tip on the Underarmor tops. Given that they contain 20% lycra, I’m surprised that they hold less water and dry faster than capilene (100% polyester). Is the weight of the underarmor fabric comparable to silkweight capilene?

Douglas Frick
    BPL Member

@otter

Locale: Wyoming

>Is the weight of the underarmor fabric comparable to silkweight capilene?

I’m not sure about Underarmor brand, but the Athletic Works XL tee is 4.8 oz and the XL tank is 4.0 oz; the NordicTrack XL tee is 5.1 oz. What I particularly like about these shirts is that they are cool when wet (good in hot & humid weather) but feel warm when dry. When you’re right on the edge of sweating it can be a disconcerting feeling as the shirt flashes off the moisture.

I wore the Athletic Works tee as my base layer on all of my ski and snowshoe trips this winter. No matter how hard I was working it never felt wet.

carlos fernandez rivas
    BPL Member

@pitagorin

Locale: Galicia -Spain

Here in spain several cycling brands sell mesh underwear ….

Actually I´m using a shirt from nalini (an italian brand)

Maybe us cycling manufacturers had mesh underwear ¿?

carlos fernandez
    spain

Ben Wald

@benwald

These weights were provided by Brynje:

Zip polo with inlay: 170 gr (6.0 oz)
    Long johns with inlay: 168 gr (6.0 oz)

The size was not specified.

Reliableracing.com stocks Bryne baselayers without the inlay. Baselayers with the inlay (which reduces pack chafing) can be special ordered from Bryne.

The sizing table at,
    http://www.motostrano-store.com/ustoeusicota.html
    can be used to convert Bryne’s sizes (XS, S, M, L, …) to US sizes.

Thomas McDonald, MD

@mc1donald

Locale: SF Bay Area

hi-
    I’ve been using them for a year- very pleased w/ comfort range and quick drying time. I cycle to work, and unlike most of my base layers, the Brynje’s dry out in the locker room. And very nice for backcountry skiing in variable conditions. I recently did the Evolution basin/Lamarck loop in the Sierra’s, and wore the Brynje mesh under Schoeller Extreme outer layers- a nice combo.

Yes, many of the bike clothing companies make mesh baselayers that are also nice. I have a vest top from Craft that’s versatile. Assos, Nalini, Campy, other also make nice one’s.

tom

larry savage
    Spectator

@pyeyo

Locale: pacific northwest

I’ve also been using Brynje mesh and Craft all last winter and early spring…nice stuff. I purchased my Brynje from reliable racing online.
    Also Wiggy’s out of Colorado has mesh line that is similar to the old fishnet stuff, not a micro mesh.

Jeffrey J
    BPL Member

@foot-guy

Brynje USA has just launched its website http://www.brynjeusa.com. The new Merino wool mesh is now available in the states.

Stumphges
    BPL Member

@stumphges

They severely miscalculated their price point for the US market, IMHO. $95 for a long-sleeve wool shirt that is mostly holes. I can have the same item shipped from UK for less money.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools