Topic

20% off REI Outlet

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Commerce Gear Deals 20% off REI Outlet

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    John A

@johna

Locale: Great Lakes State

20% extra off one item at the REI Outlet online through March 11th.

Weiyi Wang
    Spectator

@wwyjedi

Locale: mid

Any interesting find?

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Locale: Wisconsin

There's some Nemo tents in there. Don't remember the price, but with the 20% off, well under $300. Probably in the low $200's.

Dustin LaClair

@adkdustin

I retract my earlier comments about REI. They were hasty and emotional. REI is a fine retailer.

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

REI shipping to the stores is free.

Dustin LaClair

@adkdustin

Except for the closest REI store to me is about 190 miles away.

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Ahhhhh..D'OH!

Art …
    BPL Member

@asandh

Dustin stop whining, stuff happens.

REI has the best return policy of any retail store on the Planet.

I've been a member for 25 years and I can tell you their customer service is fine.

Shipping is free to the nearest store to your house, great chance to take some time off and browse around when you pick it up.

Do they have unknowledgable employees, yes.
    Do they have knowledgable employees, yes.
    I'd say the mix is similar to most other outdoor retail stores that cater to the general public.

Do they have specialty UL gear? not much, but what other store does. If you want specialty gear go to a specialty shop … online.

p.s.
    same thing that happened to you just happened to me … at Mountain Gear dot com. Am I happy, no. Who's fault is it … nobody's really.

Dustin LaClair

@adkdustin

Art, stop telling me what to do. :P Thanks for the command Art, but like I said in my post, I was just venting. I think backcountryedge.com's free shipping and free returns make it a little bit better than REI. It's just that I, and I think most, really enjoy those companies that really go out of their way to make their customers happy, such as the Moosejaw incident discussed on here recently. REI can choose to do what they do because of their shipping charges, they know it is not really worth my money to return my item I just purchased to get the discount, where other retailers with free shipping know it would be worth it to them to honor something like that.

I have a friend whose ONE binding broke on his Tubbs snowshoes and he contacted Tubbs about purchasing a replacement. Tubbs sent him 2 packages of 2 bindings for free. He is a lifelong Tubbs loyalist, as now is his whole family who he turned onto Tubbs. There is nothing like a company giving you a good reason to return. It's kind of like the mechanic you trust and take your car to for all repairs.

Jay Bonzani
    BPL Member

@ultrabound

Locale: NE Oregon

I buy at REI for the return policy alone. The no questions asked return is great! I used a pair of Keens last summer and after about two months of hiking the sole started to peel off. I returned them muddy and all and got a complete refund to my card. I buy things there because i know if they fall apart or I am not happy with them, back they go.

Anonymous
    Inactive

After purchasing a pair of Atlas 1030 snow shoes from REI I had to return them because of a binding failure. Even after 10 years REI’s customer service cheerfully refunded my payment in cash!

I’m a big fan of any company that stands behind its products and takes care of its customers.

REI is in the Fortune 500 and CNN Business voted REI one of the 100 Best Companies to work for.

Roger

Ted E
    BPL Member

@mtn_nut

Locale: Morrison, CO

they have a nice innovations road bike pump that's a hybrid pump for a little under $7 after the discount.

http://www.rei.com/product/788551

Acronym Esq
    BPL Member

@acronym-esq

Locale: TX

20% off dynamic rope is a sweet price:
    $129.93 BlueWater Accelerator 10.5mm x 60m Non-Dry Rope

Also got some non-outlet but still marked down biners:
    $9.93 DMM Offset Screwgate Locking Carabiner – Steel

acronym 3/8/2010 11:13 AM

Angela Zukowski

@angelaz

Locale: New England

Hmmm. Everyone seems to be able to return gear no questions asked except me! Are you guys REI members? Because I returned my trekking poles after using them for just under a year and I had the receipt… and they tried to tell me that it looked like I got a valid amount of use out them. One year! There was probably 200 miles worth of use on them. So I did not get a full refund, but apparently if I was a member I would have. I think? That's what the cashier seemed to be implying.

(The locking mechanism failed on my REI UL poles – not just while in use hiking… but when trying to use them with my Contrail)

Brandon Sanchez

@dharmabumpkin

Locale: San Gabriel Mtns

I'd say just try another REI until one takes it back :P

Anonymous
    Inactive

Angela,

The REI Guarantee
    Our 100% satisfaction guarantee ensures that every item you purchase at REI meets your high standards—or you can return it for a replacement or refund.

I would of asked to talk to a manager and explain my situation.

Become a member Every March, active REI members receive a member refund in the form of an annual dividend notice. The refund is typically 10% back on your eligible REI purchases.*

You can use your dividend notice as soon as you receive it to purchase gear and services at REI. Or you can redeem it for cash after July 1. Note: Your REI member refund expires on Dec. 31 of the year after it is issued. Read more about the member refund

Special Offers
    As a member, you get special members-only offers on gear and clothing at REI.

Gear Rental Discounts
    REI members get substantial savings on REI in-store rental equipment from skis to kayaks. (Selection varies by location. Check your local store for details.)

Shop Services Discounts
    Reduced pricing on bike and ski shop services; available in most REI stores.

Adventure Travel Savings
    Special member pricing when you travel with REI Adventures. Enjoy adventures worldwide, and weekend getaways close to home.

Voting Privileges
    Your board of directors election ballot is included with your annual dividend notice. It's your chance to have a say in how your co-op is run.

Angela Zukowski

@angelaz

Yeah… I'm just not very good at politely insisting, I suppose. The irony is that I work at a gear shop and I knew they'd pull that exact stunt on me (we do it too) and so was prepared to say that 200 miles is not a satisfactory amount of use. I even did say that! But then I just didn't have the guts to ask to speak to a manager! I hate being pushy.

Thankfully the poles were extremely clearanced when I bought them in the first place. My own fault for being a push-over. Plus I did think I needed to be a member for it to happen.

Tad Englund
    BPL Member

@bestbuilder

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Angela, Membership has nothing to do with the return policy, period.
    You might have caught the clerk on a bad day or something. Or the store might be getting a lot of abuse on return gear.
    It is easier to track purchases of members but that is not the issue.
    BTW, yes, you should be a member- anyone who purchases more then $200 worth of stuff that is 15% or less off during their life time should. It make financial sense and if you shop there (because of the guarantee) it is the right thing to do!

Angela Zukowski

@angelaz

I actually work for a rival retailer part time and buy most of my stuff from cottage industries. I buy maybe one thing from REI annually, if that. Hence the lack of membership! But yes, lessons learned.

:)

Tad Englund
    BPL Member

@bestbuilder

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Angela, even one thing a year (regardless of where you work), if a regular purchase, will pay dividends down the road. You also might not always be working at the other store, but your REI membership will never go away, once a member always a member.

I get most of my everyday clothing at REI, so that helps with the "dividend" also.

Hiking Malto
    BPL Member

@gg-man

Angela,
    Try again. I returned three sets of those poles before I finally gave up on them. Never had a bit of hassle.

Angela Zukowski

@angelaz

I forget that the membership is for life!

Of course, having access to pro-deals on 3point5.com has totally spoiled me. I have a very hard time with retail price points now :)

Jesse H.
    BPL Member

@tacedeous

Locale: East Bay, CA

wow 3point5.com rocks….

where did you hear of that site?

Jack Bauer

@mclovin

How can i join the 3 point 5 .com site? could we use your account? lol.

Angela Zukowski

@angelaz

Jesse & Jack:

3.5 is awesome… I'm not even going to tell you how sweet a deal Icebreaker stuff is on there, because it would just be mean :P

You can use it if you work for any outdoor retailer (as long as they choose to affiliate themselves with it). And whatever brands your store carries, you are eligible for a discount. Basically it's just a really sweet source for pro deals.

They are a bit strict with it – you can only buy for yourself – purchases are reviewed/approved by someone within HR and by your store manager. It definitely makes the extra part-time job in retail worth it, though!

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 26 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools