Topic

Montgomery Kettle (ultralight chimney-boiler) reservations

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Commerce Gear Deals Montgomery Kettle (ultralight chimney-boiler) reservations

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 117 total)
  • Author
    Brian UL

@maynard76

Locale: New England

Please put me on the list.
    Great work.

Jesse H.
    BPL Member

@tacedeous

Locale: East Bay, CA

please put me down for one… I've been following the progress on this for a while, I think its really cool you got this to production so soon… and $60 is more than reasonable.

Devin Montgomery
    BPL Member

@dsmontgomery

Locale: one snowball away from big trouble

Thanks guys! Johnny, Brian and Jesse, you're on there.

That's 25, but please keep 'em coming. 26 and beyond probably won't be in the first batch, but the more interest I get, the more time I can justify committing to this over the summer. If I can do that, a second batch shouldn't take too long.

Best,
    Devin

d k
    BPL Member

@dkramalc

Hi Devin,

Did you ever decide whether or not anodizing would work on the kettle? I just went back and read through your original post and saw where you mentioned the idea; seems like if it did not do a number on the light metal, it might be a good thing…

Debbie

Tom Holbrook
    BPL Member

@zandar

Locale: Central Coast of California

Devin,

Have you considered trying to incorporate the cork and chain method to pour? I just watched a few Kelly Kettle videos on Youtube, and the chain seems to be a great way to pour water without touching the kettle. And, using a handle to lift.

Just a thought.

Z.

Javan Dempsey

@jdempsey

Locale: The-Stateless-Society

I'll take one, hate that I'm missing the first batch.

;)

Great work!

Devin Montgomery
    BPL Member

@dsmontgomery

Thanks Javan! You're added.

Tom – Cork, chain and bail: I think the final version will probably have a stopper (most likely food-grade silicone) so that the boiler can be used to carry water when not in use. I think the chain and bail lifting system is clever, but there are a couple reasons that I don't like it. First, it puts permanent holes in the outer jacket, which can leak. Second, if someone picks up the bail without using the chain in the right sequence, it puts their hand right over the very hot exhaust from the chimney. Having said that, it would just involve some pop rivets, cord and wire, so if you want yours to have these, I could easily add them for you.

Debbie – Ah, anodizing. I've gone back and forth on this. Because I've had such problems with basic fabrication, I haven't had a chance to send a few of these to the shop to see if they can survive anodization (the thin AL could burn through). Beyond that, I've used my prototype for hundreds of boils (just water) and haven't had any problems with corrosion. I may see if I can make this an option in the future, but because of the added expense and the fact that it only makes sense to anodize in relatively large batches, I don't plan to anodize this first run.

mori costantino
    BPL Member

@mori

Locale: urban urbane

Devin,
    I'm in for the second wave! Batch away.

Devin Montgomery
    BPL Member

@dsmontgomery

You're added, Mori. Thanks!

Konrad .
    BPL Member

@konrad1013

Congrats on your brilliant achievement Devin! Another cottage gear manufacturer is born..and with that, I would like to be placed in your 2nd batch. Thanks!!!

Devin Montgomery
    BPL Member

@dsmontgomery

Thanks Konrad! You are now among the early adopters. :)

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

> there are a couple reasons that I don't like it. First, it puts permanent holes
    > in the outer jacket, which can leak.
    Agree!

Anodising: there are two sorts of this. The colourful stuff you see on bikes and all sorts of things – that's quite thin. Then there is Hard anodising, which is much thicker and more robust. Regardless, anodising won't burn through the aluminium you are using.

Cheers

Devin Montgomery
    BPL Member

@dsmontgomery

Roger – As wonderful as a bright pink boiler would be, I'm only considering the latter. :)

When I called a local shop, they said they were concerned that the higher voltages of hard anodizing could burn through the thin metal (as thin as .02 in some places), but it sounded like they just hadn't worked on this kind of thing before. As long as it isn't a technical impossibility, as you suggest, I will probably try to make that an option in the future.

Your technical knowledge is always greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Todd Hein
    BPL Member

@todd1960

Locale: Front Range

Count me in! Sounds good. PM when ready. Thanks for hte hard work!

Konrad .
    BPL Member

@konrad1013

Hey Devin, already in love with the current product, and am def in for one, as mentioned earlier. But now that someone brought up hard anodizing, it changes things up a bit. Having delt with hard anodized aluminum, and ones that aren't, i greatly prefer anything anodized. That being said, I would be willing to put down a deposit (of 60) when the 2nd batch is ready to ship, but putting off shipment until its gets hard anodized. I wouldn't mind waiting longer so that my personal cooker would get the treatment process (assuming that the additional cost is within my budget). I think many other purchasers would prefer treated cookers as well. Just a thought!

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Hi Devin

Just better check: I am not sure that all the wonderful colours available to light colour anodising are available for hard anodising. You would need to use a metal pigment anyhow, not an analine dye.

Cheers

Devin Montgomery
    BPL Member

@dsmontgomery

Thanks Todd! Got ya.

Konrad – I will definitely look into hard anodizing after the first batch is off. Doing one at a time would be very expensive (something on the order of doubling the price of the kettle, if I recall). Doing larger numbers, and offering both anodized and non, would add a level of complication to production that I'm not quite ready to take on.

Roger – I may not have been clear; I'm not actually considering a pink boiler.
    I will offer any other color, as long as it's gray. :)

Jim Sweeney
    BPL Member

@swimjay

Locale: Northern California

Hi Devin,

please include me in your next available run.

Thanks,
    Jim

Devin Montgomery
    BPL Member

@dsmontgomery

Thanks Jim! You're added.

I'll see if I can fill yours with helium to match your balloons and pack frame. :)

Kris K.

@redmarbleshoe

Locale: Beautiful Northern AZ!

Put me down for one too. I like the ounces. :)

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

Hey Devin,

Add me to the ever growing list.

Thanks!

Doug

Devin Montgomery
    BPL Member

@dsmontgomery

Thanks Kris and Doug!

I really am going to have my work cut out for me!

Greg Foster
    BPL Member

@thefost

Sign me up for a batch 2 spot =D

Devin Montgomery
    BPL Member

@dsmontgomery

Done! Thanks!

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Hi Devin

> Roger – I may not have been clear; I'm not actually considering a pink boiler.

Oh no you don't. I am sure I can find a posting where you promised several people their choice of bright pink, hot pink or passion pink …
    :-)

Cheers

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 117 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools