Topic

SEKI in Aug.

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips SEKI in Aug.

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA

I was wondering if anyone would be interested in doing a trip in SEKI in Aug. I know it is a many months away but I wanted to nail a permit for this in the near future. I was thinking about doing a Kearsarge Pass to the JMT then head south through Vidette Meadows, over Forrester and then up to Whitney and finish at Whitney Portal. 4 days or so and will requite a shuttle. Bay Area BPL folks, is anyone interested????

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Oh and I cannot spell too well.

Lori P
    BPL Member

@lori999

Locale: Central Valley

Sounds like a trip I have been tossing around in my head, but I was thinking of parking at Whitney Portal and hopping on the CREST to Onion. Not sure I would be able to do August tho. A friend invited me to nine days on a section of the PCT.

Backpack Jack
    BPL Member

@jumpbackjack

Locale: Armpit of California

I want in on this one. Jack

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Let's do it Jack. I have gone over Kearsarge and it is a rather nice pass to gain intrance into SEKI. I was thinking the first day is setting up a shuttle from Whitney Portal, and Kearsarge, Second day would be hiking over Kearsarge and staying somewhere at Vidette Meadow or between Vidette and Forrester. Third day would be going over Forrester and maybe camping at Guitar Lake. Fourth day would be hitting Whitney and hiking to the Portal. Pick up cars and then finding a spot to camp for the night. Fith day would be going home. 4-5 folks can join if there is interest

Backpack Jack
    BPL Member

@jumpbackjack

Sounds like a great route, I better start ridding my bike to get ready for this one, maybe some leg presses lots of leg presses. On a side note I sent you a pm yesterday if you didn't get let me know at [email protected] Thanks Jack

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Jack I never got the pm. It might have gone into my spam

Backpack Jack
    BPL Member

@jumpbackjack

No problem Ken. I was going to see if you could buy a snow shovel at the Berkly REI store for me if I sent you the money, but I just ordered one from Backcountry. Thanks Jack

Backpack Jack
    BPL Member

@jumpbackjack

Ken not to throw off your plans, but what if we did this trip on Labor day weekend, like Thus-Mon and since Mon. is already a holiday its easier for me to get more days that way. I don't have to take extra pto days durning the week if we can swing it. Just a thought. Jack

Anonymous
    Inactive

I've never heard of "SEKI" but backpacked Sequoia & Kings Canyon for 30 years…. Anyway count me in Kearsarge to Whitney….

Also consider a side trip north over Glens Pass to Rae Lakes then back track south to Forester then Whitney

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Roger if you'd like to join please do! I'd love to go to Rae Lakes, but I don't have the extra couple of days to go there

Backpack Jack
    BPL Member

@jumpbackjack

"SEKI" Is short for Sequoia & Kings Canyon.

Backpack Jack
    BPL Member

@jumpbackjack

Hey Ken have you given any thought to my idea of doing this hike on Labor day weekend? Jack

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

I'd love to use that time Jack, but my employer does not allow vacation time to be used in Sept. August is my only window….Sorry about that. If you still want to do this hike or maybe Rae Lakes Loop in Aug. Let me know…I am still weighing options on what can be done

Backpack Jack
    BPL Member

@jumpbackjack

I might be able to do Kearsarge, Rae Lakes, through Paradise Valley to Roads End. I need to see how much time I have saved up, I'll be spending most of my time off that I saved up for my hunting trip to Utah this year. Let me check my calendar at work and get back to you. I still don't know how much my knee will take this year, I had an MRI and there is some cartilage damage to front part and some deterration on the back tendon. It won't stop me from hiking, just might slow me down a tad.

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Hey buddy..I am slow too. In fact, much more slower than most of the BPL crew. I can go slow and low. Let me know what you can and cannot do. I'd love to do a trip with you this summer…even if it is a weekend thing!

Jeff C.

@cascadejeff

Locale: S.Cal/High Sierra

Ken, You might want to consider the third night at Wallace Ck or Crabtree.
    jeff

Jeff C.

@cascadejeff

Locale: S.Cal/High Sierra

PS
    There is a good campsite at Upper Vidette before you hit the treeline. Also, there is a good backpackers walk-in campground at Whitney Portal.
    Jeff

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Thanks for the advice Jeff, I have been to vidette (the western portion heading back to Roads End. Crabtree would be the last day heading over Trail Crest and home!! I have done Whitney and I am well aware of the awesome Whitney Posrtal..burgers, beers and sleep!

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools