Topic

UL Coastal Fishing

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Off Piste Fishing & Tenkara UL Coastal Fishing

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Roger B
    BPL Member

@rogerb

Locale: Denmark

I have been very impressed with the reports on the Tenkara fishing rods. However, where I hike is often along the coasts and it seems to me that the Tenkara system will not work. What do you use for coastal fishing that is compact and UL? The thought of carrying a 12' surf rod and reel is not my preferred option.

Chris Stewart

@cm_stewart

Join the Tenkara USA forum and search for posts by Daryl Martens, or send him a PM. He fishes from the beach with a tenkara rod and does well. He told me in a PM that he does better with it than with a conventional rod.

Roger B
    BPL Member

@rogerb

Locale: Denmark

Thanks Chris had already seen Daryl's post and that what gave me the idea to pursue a Tenkara for salt water.

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

I've been an avid surf fisherman for many years, conventional and fly (but not Tenkara).

I think success in the surf with a tenkara would depend greatly on tides, location, etc., etc. Sometimes having the ability to cast further than 30' is pretty critical…but again, depending on the situation.

My favorite surf setup is a St. Croix Wild River 8 1/2' steelhead rod (8-15 lb., 8'+ length is great for casting), a Shimano Sedona reel (somewhat cheap- I'm done with expensive reels in the surf; too much salt and sand) with light line (~8 # on the reel, ~6# leaders). I fish a Carolina rig (sliding egg sinker, swivel, #4 or 6 Owner Mosquito hooks). I usually use grubs, artificial worms (Gulp camo sandworms are amazing everywhere I've fished them) or I dig sandcrabs.

I've never weighed it, but it's a pretty light setup for surf. I'm wagering I could have a good kit for less than 1 1/2 lbs. Not quite UL, but very productive and easy to use.

I'm dying to walk the Lost Coast with this gear…

. .
    BPL Member

@biointegra

Locale: Puget Sound

I've been playing around with a Yamame on coastal Puget Sound beaches, but I'm new to saltwater fishing, so haven't had any success yet. I think it is my learning curve, rather than the rod that is holding me back though.

Greg Lewis
    BPL Member

@gpl916

Locale: PNW

Hi Aaron,

I have a Yamame too. What flies have you been using to fish the Sound? I took it over to lake Washington one day just to try it, but no fish. i am looking forward to trying it on the Yakima soon.

Greg

. .
    BPL Member

@biointegra

Hi Greg,

I've been using (read trying) the smallest krill patterns that I can find as well as some of the Tenkara reverse hackle patterns mostly. But I've only gone out after dinner on a couple of evenings thus far and may not have been timing the tides just right. From our home, I can walk to an area that is a fly-fishing only zone in the sound, which is convenient. If you would ever like to get together for a local Tenkara outing, let me know.

Greg Lewis
    BPL Member

@gpl916

Locale: PNW

Hi Aaron,

Yeah, I would be up for a local fishing trip. It's been years since I have fly fished so not sure where to go, but I am looking forward to the Cedar river opening in June. Where do you normally go, and have you had luck with the Yamame?

I did not know there was a fly fishing only area on the sound.

gl

. .
    BPL Member

@biointegra

Greg, I've only tried out the local sound shorelines and have yet to throw a fly into a stream or lake with the rod. I'm looking forward to using it for what it's designed for eventually. I'd like to try out the Snoqualmie or Tyee perhaps.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools