Topic

The ULA Unique Selling Point (for me)

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) The ULA Unique Selling Point (for me)

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 76 through 79 (of 79 total)
  • Author
    Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

Here are some pictures of the new hipbelt. The hipbelt pockets can usually be operated with one hand, although sometimes the sliders doesn't quite make it around the corner.

Ohm 3

Ohm 1

Ohm 2

Here's what has me a bit confused but maybe I'm just over-thinking this. The new hipbelt has a grosgrain strap running from where the hip wings attach, behind the hipbelt pocket and then connecting to where the waist belt is bartacked to the hipbelt wing. I imagine this strap exists to take some of the stress off where the main strap is bartacked to the hipbelt wing, but why have this strap adjustable? The hipbelt wings do not stretch so it's not like the tension needed would ever vary. I can't think of any time you'd need to adjust this strap once you pull it taut initially. Why not just sew it taut and then leave out the adjuster buckle? Maybe it's simply too hard to get this strap adequately taut when sewing this pack, hence the need for an tightener? I realize this is a very minor detail and I'm not upset or criticizing, I just want to see if I'm overlooking something so I can fully understand and make the most of this pack. I'm going to take this pack out this coming weekend for a 2 day trip.

Ohm 4

Ohm 5

Dirk Rabdau

@dirk9827

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I look forward to hearing your report on trail performance!

Dirk

Rog Tallbloke
    BPL Member

@tallbloke

Locale: DON'T LOOK DOWN!!

Dan, I'd guess the adjustable strap will help snug the pack at the hips to prevent it swagging about. Sometimes the pendulum effect of your gait can set up a resonant frequency with the load and generate some unwanted wag. The adjustable straps should help damp that out.

Eugene Smith
    BPL Member

@eugeneius

Locale: Nuevo Mexico

My understanding is that the buckle and strap located behind each hipbelt pocket at the rear of the belt is essentially a traditional hipbelt stabilizer similar in design to hip belt stabilizers found on the Granite Gear, Arcteryx, Gregory, etc. packs. The hipbelt stabilizers were intended to help bring the pack into your lower back and depending on the terrain and load the stabilizers help minimize hipbelt movement and swing since the stabilizer straps attach near the frame. I've fiddled around with mine both completely loose and cinched down on the trail and I couldn't detect any difference. Although I've never carried more than 15lbs. in my Ohm so the hipbelt is rarely used for load transfer on trail.

Viewing 4 posts - 76 through 79 (of 79 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools