Topic

Gear List

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists Gear List

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Luke Moen

@pezcore

Locale: Up North

I'm looking at getting my pack lighter for the upcoming summer. Any suggestions? The only items i'm not open to changing are the backpack and the sleeping bag

Golite Jam (2010)- 31oz
    Golite Ultra 20- 21oz
    Thermarest Ridgerest- 9oz
    MSR E-Bivy- 9.50z
    Platy 2L- 1.2oz
    Platy 1L- 1.1oz
    Steripen Journey- 4.6oz
    BPL Firelight Esbit Knockoff- .4oz
    Brunton Spork- .5oz
    Trail designs windscreen- 1.1oz
    SnowPeak 600 cup- 2.8oz
    HeadNet- 1.7oz
    first aid kit- .8oz
    Hand towel- .5oz
    Toilet Paper- .5oz
    HeadLamp- 2.4oz
    lighter- .7oz
    knife- 2oz
    duct tape- 2oz
    bear bag setup- 5oz
    toothbrush/paste- 2oz
    lip balm- .2oz
    stocking cap- 1oz
    Golite hat- 3oz
    Bandana
    Golite Wisp WindShirt 3.3oz (Edit)

thanks for the help!

Zachary Crane
    BPL Member

@zcrane

Locale: Midwest, USA

It might be a typo, but what kind of lighter are you using that weighs 7oz? (fixed)

Is this your complete summer gear list? If so, a 6.5lbs base weight seems pretty good to me. Not really anything I can see without changing the pack or bag. You could save 2-3oz by switching to AquaMira and repackaging it.

Luke Moen

@pezcore

Yeah, my bad on the lighter I meant .7oz not 7. But yes other than the clothing that I wear this is generally all I bring.

Nick Truax
    BPL Member

@nicktruax

Locale: SW Montana

No rain gear? Dri ducks, poncho or maybe a DWR windshirt?

No torso insulating layer? Montbell UL down or similar?

Not that adding gear will lighten your baseweight, but it may improve your margin of safety/comfort for less than 8-12oz of increase.

Just a quick observation. Also not sure where you hike in regards to my suggestions.

Also, the hand towel may be redundant if you have the bandana.

Depending on your lighting/headlamp needs, there are lighter (and probably less bright) options. I go with a similar weight headlamp and am told its too heavy.

Bearbag setup seems a couple ounces heavy. A nite-ize biner, 40-50 ft of bpl 2.2 mm aircore, and a sack weighs about 2-3 ounces depending on the sack. PCT style of course.
    Some may suggest a lighter knife or no TP, but I personally go your route. To each their own and HYOH.
    Otherwise, looking good and light!

James Byrnes
    Spectator

@backfeets1

Locale: Midwest.... Missouri

Is it just me, or is it getting harder to help people on this forum? There are many reasons for gear choices, and I find it harder to find fault (for want of a better word) with others selections. Very advanced and knowledgeable group of people on BPL.

Juston Taul

@junction

Locale: Atlanta, GA

'm looking at getting my pack lighter for the upcoming summer. Any suggestions? The only items i'm not open to changing are the backpack and the sleeping bag

Golite Jam (2010)- 31oz
    Golite Ultra 20- 21oz
    Thermarest Ridgerest- 9oz
    MSR E-Bivy- 9.50z
    Platy 2L- 1.2oz
    Platy 1L- 1.1oz
    Steripen Journey- 4.6oz AM Tablets would drops a few ounces off
    BPL Firelight Esbit Knockoff- .4oz You just take one tablet?
    Brunton Spork- .5oz
    Trail designs windscreen- 1.1oz
    SnowPeak 600 cup- 2.8oz
    HeadNet- 1.7oz
    first aid kit- .8oz
    Hand towel- .5oz
    Toilet Paper- .5oz
    HeadLamp- 2.4oz I use a Photon Freedom Micro LED .25oz
    lighter- .7oz
    knife- 2oz
    duct tape- 2oz Sounds like a lot of duct tape. I need to weigh mine.
    bear bag setup- 5oz
    toothbrush/paste- 2oz I only take mine when out for more than a week
    lip balm- .2oz
    stocking cap- 1oz
    Golite hat- 3oz
    Bandana

thanks for the help!

This is a great gear list. Everything I listed is just being picky. A lot of it is completely personal choice. Cheers mate.

EDIT – How do you use the steripen with the platypus bottles? Do you purify with your cup then transfer to your platypus? Just curious… thanks.

Luke Moen

@pezcore

"No rain gear? Dri ducks, poncho or maybe a DWR windshirt?"
    Just added the golite wisp to the list but I am looking for a good rain jacket.

No torso insulating layer? Montbell UL down or similar?
    I've yet to need one hiking in the North Dakota/Minnesota, although i do on ocassion bring a light fleece jacket or vest.

Also, Very good idea of getting rid of the hand towel, I can even remember the last time I used it. I also plan on getting that bear bag setup you were talking about.

About the steripen- i was thinking about switching to tablets but im not sure i can live with the taste

About the headlamp- does theuse a Photon Freedom Micro LED have an on/off switch? I couldnt quite tell from the website.

in regards to the duct tape, i think i could drop that weight quite a bit, but i'm not sure if i could get rid of the toothbrush.

Juston- I do have to first purify it in my cup before putting it in the platy, but i'm still trying to find a better way.

Ryan C
    BPL Member

@radio_guy

Locale: United States

I have a Steripen and use it with a heavy Nalgene bottle or one of the Nalgene 1.5L Canteens.

One lightweight method to try would be to cut the top off a ziplock type bag, mark it with a Sharpie for 1L of water, and stir with the Steripen. The purified water could then be poured into the Platy bottle.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools