Topic

24 Hour Winter Trip

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists 24 Hour Winter Trip

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Jim MacDiarmid
    BPL Member

@jrmacd

I decided this morning to take advantage of all the newly falling snow to take a quick trip up to the Catskills and refresh my winter skills.

Does this list seem adequate for these conditions:

Saturday: Snow showers likely before noon, then rain and snow showers likely. Cloudy, with a high near 29. Blustery, with a north wind between 16 and 20 mph. Chance of precipitation is 60%. New precipitation amounts of less than a tenth of an inch possible.

Saturday Night: A chance of snow showers. Cloudy and blustery, with a low around 16. Chance of precipitation is 30%. New precipitation amounts of less than a tenth of an inch possible.

Sunday: A chance of snow showers. Cloudy, with a high near 32. Chance of precipitation is 40%.

Snow is already on the ground, and they're getting a foot or more today and tomorrow.

Any thoughts?

Matt Lutz

@citystuckhiker

Locale: Midwest

Do you have any other pants – softshells perhaps?

Unless you have cold hands, I think you have too many hand layers. You've liner, 2x gloves, mitts and insulated mitts. I'd lose the middle two, or at least the third. Are you anticipating getting them soaked?

Rest looks fine on initial review.

Walter Carrington
    BPL Member

@snowleopard

Locale: Mass.

The Catskills got rain today. You might need crampons or at least microspikes, depending on where you're going. Probably it's impossible to tell now what it'll be like Saturday. Check the forums at http://www.adkhighpeaks.com/

Tjaard Breeuwer
    BPL Member

@tjaard

Locale: Minnesota, USA

That's funny, I am doing a weekend ski tour here in Minnesota, USA and we are having almost the same weather, a bit warmer and therefore wetter though, but no wind.

Tricky conditions for the shell layer, if you wear WP, you might get to much condensation but if you wear softshell the low temp and wind will make it to cold with wet clothes, unlike summer where you'd just let it dry out. I'd say some good zips for venting(side zip on the pants and pitzips on the upper) might be the way to go.

Brendan West
    BPL Member

@bderw

Locale: Northeast Pennsylvania

It's about three weeks later, how'd it go?

And I'd agree with Matt. Your hand insulation looks like it could work down to about -30F! I'd have taken just the base layer gloves and the VB mitts, saving 5 ozs.

But to each his own.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools