Topic

Susquehannock Trail vs Quehanna Trail

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Susquehannock Trail vs Quehanna Trail

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Ian Roberts

@river_runner21

I am planning on doing a UL Solo hike coming up in May. I have narrowed my trail selection down to the Susquehannock Trail or the Quehanna Trail both located in northcentral pennsylvania.

I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with these trails and can offer some insight such as camping spots, water availability, trail quality, etc.

Please let me know if you have any useful information, thanks!

Gregg Martell
    BPL Member

@gmartell

Locale: Mid Atlantic

We (Scout Troop) did a short section of the Quehanna Trail a couple years back. Off the top of my head, I don't remember which section, other than we started on the Eastern end of the trail.

I don't think it gets a lot of hikers, at least the section we did because the trail was a bit overgrown in October. Nothing that would slow you down, but the trails hadn't been walked on a lot. Only saw two other hikers the whole weekend. Plenty of places to camp along the trail.

Definitely need to bear bag – we saw bear scat in a couple places along the trail. I'm glad we cooked dinner along the trail, not where we camped, as we had one boy spill his dinner while cooking. On the way out, we stopped at a state maintenance facility to use the restroom and they had 4 bear traps for trans-locating bears.

Wish we could have shown the boys those traps before we headed out. It would have made the lessons we were teaching the boys about food handling in bear country hit home faster!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools