Topic

Lightweight Sleeping Bag

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Lightweight Sleeping Bag

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    Logan Smith

@lsmith

Hey guys and girls I’m new to the site and just had a real quick question. After reading up alot about L/UL packing it definitly seems the way to go these days. So here is where I’m at…I’m looking for a nice lightweight bag thats not too expensive (up to $150 but thats about all I can spare on my college budget) and would be good for a beginner. I appreciate the help guys!

Scott Ashdown

@waterloggedwellies

Locale: United Kingdom

Logan, don’t forget the ladies, it’s not just guys on the site!!!!

Pedro Arvy
    BPL Member

@pedroarvy

Locale: Melbourne

http://www.gossamergear.com/ has a number of gear lists with a boy scout list designed for those on a budget and it recommends a quilt.

You could make your own quilt from one of the kits here http://www.ray-way.com/php/order-form.php for well under this budget. Or you could buy one here http://www.fanaticfringe.com/page6.html

john Tier
    Spectator

@peter_pan

Locale: Co-Owner Jacks 'R' Better, LLC, VA

http://www.jacksrbetter.com has down quilts at half the weight and bulk suggested in the referenced gear list…trade off is higher cost.

Pan

Ken Bennett
    Spectator

@ken_bennett

Locale: southeastern usa

The Kelty Light Year is a pretty good value for a down bag. It’s rated at 25-F, though that’s probably, um, a stretch. But it ought to be good down into the 30s, and weighs a little over 2 pounds. And it meets your budget requirements.

http://moontrail.com/slpng_bg/kelty_lightyear25.html

–Ken

Logan Smith

@lsmith

Sorry, I didn’t mean to exclude women from my comment and I’ve fixed it. My situation is that I’m going to be working in Colorado for the summer (July 3 – Aug. 13) as a camp counselor and I want to make sure that I stay warm during the nights. They recommend a bag rated at 20-F and thats what I have now (Bass Pro Shop mummy, its massive), but that bag is just going to be too big and bulky to pack on a 3-night trip.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I Made this list a few weeks ago:

Brand.............Model........Temp...Weight, oz..Fill material......Price.....Vendor

Coleman........Grey Fox20.......20F.....48.......Polarguard 3D.......$90.00..backcountryedge.com
    Kelty..........Sonora 20........20F.....50.......Polarguard 3D.......$90.00..backcountryedge.com
    Kelty..........Lightyear 3D 25..25F.....38.......Polarguard 3D.......$90.00..campmor.com
    Marmot.........Pounder Plus.....25F.....34.......Primaloft Sport....$180.00..Backcountry.com
    Moonstone......Delta Minima.....20F.....35.......Polarguard Delta...$150.00..Backcountry.com
    Mt. Hardwear...2nd Dimension....15F.....50.......Polarguard Delta...$175.00..Altrec.com
    Mt. Hardwear...Switch...........20F.....48.......Thermolite Extra...$120.00..REI
    Sierra Designs Wild Bill........20F.....48.......Polarguard 3D......$100.00..Altrec.com
    Sierra Designs Cochise..........15F.....49.......Polarguard Delta...$140.00..LL Bean
    Sierra Designs Volt.............15F.....40.......Primaloft Sport....$210.00..REI
    Slumberjack....Ultimate.........20F.....48.......Thermolite Extreme..$70.00..Campmor
    TNF............Cat's Meow.......20F.....45.......Polarguard Delta...$159.00..Altrec.com
    TNF............Fission..........20F.....36.......Polarguard Delta...$209.00..Backcountry.com
    TNF............Orion............20F.....38.......Primaloft..........$189.00..Backcountry.com
    TNF............Blaze............20F.....46.......Polarguard 3D......$109.00..Moosejaw.com

I did some very loose searches and it was just for synthetic bags. I got a Sierra Designs Wild Bill for $66 on Ebay. Watch for model years on heavily discounted bags. You can get bargains, but manfacturers will change specs and keep the same name— just so you get apples if you order apples :)

Logan Smith

@lsmith

Great list! I ran across the Wild Bill bag and read several reviews on it and they were somewhat mixed. Most bad ones referred to the bad losing its loft but this was after a two year period or longer. Thanks again for that list!

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

The Wild Bill purchase was bargain driven for sure. I have a couple different summer bags and wanted to get something that would extend my season a bit– that means Cascade lowlands Winter hiking, which means M-U-D.

The bag I’d like to get is the Intergral Designs Renaisance, but it is $200. I’ll wait like a spider to jump on a bargain there :)

J R

@ravenul

Logan, When your in CO swing by the MontBell flagship store in Boulder.

Look at their Super Stretch Burrow Bag #3.

43oz. Comfortable at 32, but you can easily push it to 15deg. $140.

Douglas Frick
    BPL Member

@otter

Locale: Wyoming

>The bag I’d like to get is the Intergral Designs Renaisance, but it is $200.

For my size, that bag would weigh about 56 oz.

>43oz. Comfortable at 32, but you can easily push it to 15deg. $140.

I guess these are why I’m using a Ray-Way quilt. I made mine extra-wide and a bit longer and added an extra layer of Polarguard 3D; it only weighs 36.9 oz. It’s too hot to use above +45F, and I’ve slept warm in it at -2F with a Micropuff (not sure the Micropuff was necessary). For summer in the Rockies, I would get the deluxe kit and either do the Alpine upgrade or wear my insulation to bed (as necessary). Cost is $65-$75. I’m not sure what it would weigh, but it would certainly be lighter than mine.

http://www.ray-way.com/quilt/index.shtml

I picked up a Jacks R Better Nest down quilt (20.2 oz) for my hammock. It worked great this winter (it was my under-quilt at -2F and top-quilt at +25F, with Micropuff), and rather than making another Ray-Way quilt I’m going to use this for my 3-season top-quilt, hammock or ground. It’s very nice, light, warm, sturdy and packs small. I like it.

(For Hennessy Hammock users)
    http://jacksrbetter.com/index_files/Products%20List_files/Under%20Quilt.htm

(otherwise…)
    http://jacksrbetter.com/index_files/Products%20List_files/No%20Snivelling%20Quilt.htm

Tom Gibson

@terribletom

For $159 or so, you can get a Lafuma Warm ‘n Light 1000g bag rated for +20F. Lafuma uses some sort of French government standard for rating their bags that uses three categories: Comfort/Limited Comfort/Extreme. The +20F is probably the Limited Comfort rating.

In any case, the 1000g is a total weight (not a fill weight) and the compressed size is likely to be pretty small.

Moontrail.com calls it a +28F bag and has pics: http://www.backcountry-equipment.com/slpng_bg/lafuma-warmnlight.php

J R

@ravenul

“I guess these are why I’m using a Ray-Way quilt.”

Quilts are great – if you can stand sleeping in a quilt.

Logan Smith

@lsmith

I just came across this bag also, the Kelty Light Year 25° Ultralight Down Mummy. Any thoughts?

http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/productdisplay?memberid=12500226&productid=39171580

Douglas Frick
    BPL Member

@otter

Locale: Wyoming

> Quilts are great – if you can stand sleeping in a quilt.

I didn’t really find a big difference, except I can roll around a lot easier under a quilt. More like sleeping under a sheet at home. The Ray-Way DraftStoppers(tm) keep out the cold air. In a hammock it makes a big difference: much easier to get into and out of the hammock without struggle.

J R

@ravenul

“I didn’t really find a big difference”

Which would probably be why you dont mind sleeping under them.

Some people – and a not insignificant number of them – dont really enjoy sleeping under quilts.

Logan Smith

@lsmith

Does anyone have any experience with the Marmot Punder Plus? I’ve searced for reviews everywhere and couldn’t find one. I’m just concerned with pack size but I think that I’ve finally decided to go with this bag.

Dondo .
    BPL Member

@dondo

Locale: Colorado Rockies

No experience with the Pounder Plus but I’m guessing that it’s pretty decent. For most folks the temperature rating should be more like 35F rather than the stated 25F. I have a similar Primaloft bag, the TNF Orion, that is cut a little closer (60″ vs. 62″) and has a little more fill(26 oz. v. 23 oz.) Though TNF says it’s a 20F bag, independent testing in Europe on copper manikins rate it 30F for the “standard man”. Primaloft has a nice feel to it and drapes well over your body. It’s also more compressible than Polarguard. Marmot includes a 7″x14″ stuff sack with the Pounder Plus which should be sufficient. A 8″x17″ silnylon stuff sack came with my Orion and it’s more than big enough. If you have room in your pack, go for a larger stuff sack rather than a smaller one. Synthetic fills don’t like to be compressed.
    The TNF Orion is now on sale at REI for $135. This may be a better deal for you than the Pounder Plus if you can tolerate the tighter girth of the Orion.

Logan, I just noticed that you’ll be in Colorado in July and early August. Either of these bags should work for you then. If you get a bit cool, you can just slip on extra clothing.

Just found the EN 13537 rating for the Pounder Plus. For the “standard man”, it’s rated to 2.4C or 36F.

Logan Smith

@lsmith

Great! Thanks for the input Dondo. I’ll check a price on the Pounder Plus as the camp I’m working at is a distributor and can get it at a discounted price. I’ll let you know my decision.

Anitra Kass

@anitraten

Locale: SoCal

Logan,
    Just saw your post. REI is having their anniversary sale and they have a bag called the REI Sub Kilo for men it’s a 20degree bag and for women its 15degree. I’ve used both and I like them both. They are very decent in weight if you don’t mind down…I like down. Hope that helps,
    NITRO

Zak Randell

@zakrandell

Not sure if anyone has mentioned this here but if you are going UL your biggest expense will certainly be your sleeping bag/quilt. The one nice thing about it is if you’re careful with the bag it can last you years and years. I used to camp with my parents’ down bags from the 60’s and they worked wonderfully (I wince at their pack size and weight now).

Jacks R Better, which a few people have mentioned, have cheap, high quality quilts that you can use on the ground or in a hammock. The No Sniveller is the smartest peice of gear I own. If you can spring a little more (the NS is $239) check ’em out. You won’t regret it.

Jordan Hurder

@jordanhurder

Locale: Southern California

Now that summer is coming in So. Cal., I’m wondering if anyone has a suggestion on a synthetic bag rated for around 50-55 degrees? At that temp, I’m wondering if I’ll even need a bag, or if I can get away with a lightweight jacket, or even a fleece sleeping bag liner (REI has one for $45 that weighs 13 oz). Thoughts?

Vick Hines

@vickrhines

Locale: Central Texas

Depends on where you are going. A fleece liner may be just the ticket in much of the country. Or you could just use long underwear inside a bivy.

paul johnson

@pj

Locale: LazyBoy in my Den - miss the forest

A Mil-Std Poncho liner is an option, though perhaps not the lightest, but fleece isn’t all that light either. A poncho liner made of thinsulate is lighter, as warm or warmer, and packs a bit smaller than a standard poncho liner. Check out Brigade Quartermaster.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools