Topic

How early Olympic Peninsula?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips How early Olympic Peninsula?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    John Brown
    Spectator

@johnbrown2005

Locale: Portland, OR

Any predictions on when the Olympic Peninsula high country will open up this year? Is May too soon? If I remember right, intense bugs follow?

Curt Peterson
    BPL Member

@curtpeterson

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Yes, May is likely too soon for anything that would be considered high country. The snowpack has not been as thin there as it has in the Cascades. ONP keeps pretty good trail conditions data on their website. That's the best place to start.

A lot will depend on the spring we have, but it's a very rare year that May will get you much over 3000' or 4000'.

Ross P Hemphill

@rbimli

Locale: PNW

Does the high country being "closed" mean that you're not allowed to go there, or that it would require technical skills/gear? Also, when people talk about Olympic Peninsula backcountry or high country, are they likely talking about the Park, the Forest/Park… the Peninsula?

Gracias.

John Brown
    Spectator

@johnbrown2005

Locale: Portland, OR

By closed I just meant snowed in still. My trip is now 2nd week of July, should be looking good by then, eh?

Ross P Hemphill

@rbimli

Locale: PNW

Thanks for the explanation.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools