Topic

LightHeart tents

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) LightHeart tents

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 58 total)
  • Author
    Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

Well since I have been mentioned..
    That rain porch , used in the Rainbow and Double Rainbow, was my idea, so as much as I like to see positive comments on that I would prefer if it remained a Tarptent only feature.
    Franco

CW
    BPL Member

@simplespirit

Locale: .

What defines a "rain porch"?

Do you mean what Henry refers to as the "rain curtain"?

If so, that exists in Marmot's Swallow which I'm fairly certain has been around longer than the Rainbow and Double Rainbow.

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Interesting. I have crawled inside the Swallow , however did not see that "feature" nor ever even seen any pictures of that set up.
    But like many "innovations" likely someone else has already thought of it .
    Franco

CW
    BPL Member

@simplespirit

Locale: .

It's not identical in implementation. Basically since the vestibule uses two zippers, the center section can be pitched as an awning using your trekking poles and some guyline.

I couldn't fine a photo.

Ben Smith
    BPL Member

@goosefeet

Locale: Georgia

This photo sort of shows it…

marmot_swallow

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Using the door panel as the awning was provably used by the first guy that ever made a tent, not new at all.
    Most car camping tents do that.
    Adding a bit of fabric to join the two door/beak panels was the different bit.
    Franco

Ben Smith
    BPL Member

@goosefeet

Locale: Georgia

Yeah, I agree. The middle flap between doors is a much more innovative concept.

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Locale: Wisconsin

I know some (or all?) of Henry's shelters are patented or patent pending. Just out of curiosity, is the rain porch a patented feature?

Lynn Tramper

@retropump

Locale: The Antipodes of La Coruna

" Just out of curiosity, is the rain porch a patented feature?"

I hope not…I've already added one to our Nallo2. As a matter of concept development, I've noticed that the rain porch/curtain is not usually under a lot of stress (if it's THAT windy or snowing you would want it closed anyway). For that reason, it would be an ideal feature to make out of cuben (that's what I've used on the Nallo).

Here's a photo of a Double Rainbow which I've extended the rainporch for better coverage and cooking space:
    https://dpcr19kltm61a.cloudfront.net/backpackinglight/user_uploads/1271884875_24224.jpg

Michael Williams

@mlebwill

Locale: Colorado

So far I'm a big fan of my Lightheart Solo. I have had it out a few times and it performed well in wind, which I was a little worried about when I got it.

The porch would be a great addition, however if using a porch the tent would have to be pitched in a way that the porch could be guy'ed out to a tree. In Lynn's picture the DR can use trekking pols for the porch where the Lightheart is already using the poles inside the tent. Also – some zipper work would have to be done on the LH as the current design of the zipper would not accommodate the addition of an extra panel.

But I will echo the reviews so far – roomy, easy, and the views are second only to no tent at all.

Mike

Lynn Tramper

@retropump

Locale: The Antipodes of La Coruna

"The porch would be a great addition, however if using a porch the tent would have to be pitched in a way that the porch could be guy'ed out to a tree."

The porch can be pitched with any sticks that are long enough, but you do need extra guyline and one extra stake. With the duo version, as with the DR, we always use it for two of us who both carry trekking poles, so we don't need to scrounge for sticks, but it is definitely an option for soloists. If there are not sticks or trees around then the porch couldn't be used on the one person version. I wonder how much a couple of CF poles for the porch would weigh???

Bradley Danyluk
    BPL Member

@dasbin

One thing to note is that the Lightheart tents use silnylon with a hydrostatic head of over 3500mm (most use 800-1200mm rated silnylon). I confirmed this with an email to Judy in which she explained that they did their own testing and it actually didn't mist/leak at all through 4000mm of pressure, at which point the fabric actually blew off the testing machine, so it's probably even higher.
    This is a major consideration for me, because I would normally treat a silnylon tent with silicone/mineral spirits in order to prevent all misting in all conditions and stop all leaking through the floor. But this adds several ounces to the final weight. Not really necessary with these tents.

Gregory Wallace

@gregory71

Locale: Mid-Atlantic

Thanks for answering my questions, Ryan. My solo is on order. I'll follow up with my impressions after having a chance to use it.

Barbara Karagosian
    Spectator

@barbara

Locale: So Cal

This tent looks awesome. I'm seriously considering the Duo. Can anyone tell me how the ridgepole section attaches in the top of the tent? And also are the hiking pole handles (on the bottom of the tent) anchored into anything or are the three sections (2 poles plus ridgepole) anchored by virtue of just being set up correctly? Being the klutz that I am, it seems I could easily knock a pole out of alignment and cause the whole thing to collapse. Please tell me it ain't so….

Marc Penansky
    BPL Member

@marcpen

Locale: Western NC

Barbara,
    The ridge pole in the Duo is set into a recess in the fabric and also has 2 velcro tabs that hold it in place. When the trekking poles are extended to the proper length, the handles sit in the corner of the floor/side wall interface. There are no straps or tabs to hold the handles in place. The handles of the trekking poles are in a friction fit and it takes more than just an accidental bump to knock them out of place. The shape of the tent fabric holds the poles in place and the tent stakes hold this "roof truss system" of the trekking poles and ridge pole erect. It is a pretty darn robust support system.
    Marc

Barbara Karagosian
    Spectator

@barbara

Locale: So Cal

Thanks Marc very much – I am reassured:-)

Jean C Rogers
    BPL Member

@boonga

Locale: Northwest

Thanks for the video. It gave me a better understanding of the tent and its size. I am going to see someone with a Solo later this week and am looking forward to actually getting into the tent to see the size inside.

Miguel Arboleda
    BPL Member

@butuki

Locale: Kanto Plain, Japan

That rain porch , used in the Rainbow and Double Rainbow, was my idea, so as much as I like to see positive comments on that I would prefer if it remained a Tarptent only feature.

It sort of leaves a bitter taste to read this. I recall being roundly tromped by quite a number of people here for stating that the ridge guyline loops and hiking pole grommets on the Rainbow were my ideas. It was especially mortifying since I was in direct contact with Henry about the ideas and I asked him to put those extras onto my first iteration Rainbow, long before I talked about them on BPL. I still have the emails we exchanged. So it would be kind of nice if no one else started claiming the same kind of thing here now.

That being said, the "rain porch" idea I can come up with at least one person, Jon Solomon, who used the idea earlier. He first modified, and then asked Hilleberg tents to add it on to, the Akto way back in 1998. All Aktos today have that flap over the door due to Jon's idea.

And back in 1987, when I was bicycling from Denmark to France, I camped in a campsite in Denmark where the person next to me had a tent with a rain flap connecting two doors and supported by trekking poles (this was before trekking poles became popular in the States). I can't remember the name of the tent company, but I do remember that the tent was made of aluminized nylon.

But back on topic… I'm thinking of getting a solo tent again for when I want something enclosed for bugs (I use my Duomid now). The Lightheart Solo, TarpTent Moment, TarpTent Rainbow, and Nemo Mio all look intriguing. The Lightheart Solo looks very stable and wind resistant (especially after looking at Hendrik's video). The Moment might be the answer, but doesn't have the completely open side of the LIghtheart and Rainbow. The Rainbow is a bit heavy, but would be great for going hiking with my very small partner sometimes. The Mio would be the best at altitude in side-driven rain, though I have doubts about its tautness once it gets wet… not much to tighten the pitch.

Stephen Gerrard
    BPL Member

@stepheng

Locale: Australia

Miguel, why not just get the MLD solo innernet to use with your Duomid for a bug free space?
    I am only asking as I am curious as to the pro's and cons of this approach myself :-)

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

…on 05/13/2010 10:05:50 MDT…

Ryan Jordan said:

"I'm in the process of wrapping up the review of the Lightheart Solo.

"I'm wrapping up the review this month and will get it to Addie soon for publication. I'll stamp "EXPEDITE" on it :)"

My, how time flies….

John Mc
    BPL Member

@retiredjohn

Locale: PNW

Greg,

You're not the only one waiting for Ryan's input and review of this tent. I'm in line to have Judy make me her new cuben fiber solo and I'd like to hear all input.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

Lynn Tramper is keerect. A rain porch is definitely needed in this tent. That's just another reason I'd prefer my TT Moment. A tent W/O a rain porch type vestibule is not a complete tent.

The one innovative design element this tent adds is the ridge pole connecting the two walking sticks. Very clever and sure to be copied in other forms soon.

David Ure

@familyguy

The Moment needs a rain liner for all of the condensation it can't manage. Oh wait, there is one.

Ross Bleakney
    BPL Member

@rossbleakney

Locale: Cascades

>>
    The one innovative design element this tent adds is the ridge pole connecting the two walking sticks. Very clever and sure to be copied in other forms soon.
    <<
    I agree, this is a very clever design. In general, I like this tent design. I don't mind the lack of a porch. What concerns me has already been addressed by Ryan: the lack of height on the ends. While this type of design is very wind worthy, I fear that I might be a bit claustrophobic. With the added height of a NeoAir (my new sleeping pad) this puts my head pretty close to the top. As Ryan mentioned, the key is to slide your foot end towards one side, so that you maximize your headroom. That might be adequate, but I'm not sure.

A design I would like folks to explore is this: Add a small (two foot) pole to one end. That becomes your foot end. Maybe extend that side out a bit. Now, the other end can slope more steeply. That puts your head much closer to the apex, while you still have plenty of room (two feet) for your feet. The nice thing is that a short pole is that it can be very strong and very light. A carbon fiber pole's strength is inversely proportional to its length. A four foot pole must be thicker to be as strong as a two foot pole. So, ultimately, a short pole wouldn't add much weight to the whole system (an ounce or two at most). I think if you did all this, it would increase the headroom considerably, while adding very little to the weight.

Jason Delso
    BPL Member

@zencarver

Locale: DFW

That sounds a lot like a Tarptent Sublite to me..?

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 58 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools