Topic

Marmot Trails Bag

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Marmot Trails Bag

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Ryan Stoughton
    BPL Member

@txtengu

Locale: Seattle

Has anyone had any experience with the Marmot Trails bag? According to the manufacturer it’s a synthetic liner/summer bag rated to 45 degrees. At 1lb 3oz and $79 it seems like a pretty good value.

Tariqa Mead
    BPL Member

@fenester

I don’t have any experience with it, but I was looking at it as well and talked to a Marmot rep. regarding using it as a liner. He said it would add 10-15 deg. to another bag’s rating as an OVERbag. Despite their listing as a liner, he said it would work better over another bag and would be a tight fit inside most mummy bags.

Mike Storesund

@mikes-1

>>>” Despite their listing as a liner, he said it would work better over another bag and would be a tight fit inside most mummy bags.”<<< This almost sounds like a contradiction. If it would be a tight fit inside most mummy bags, would it be large enough to encompass another bag?

Laurence Daniels
    BPL Member

@gnr

Locale: Boston

very briefly. I am a cold sleeper, so I use a zipperless bag even on warm nights. I tried using the Trails bag, but I would always feel chilly. I felt even the slightest of drafts, as there is no loft, the Driclime just wasn’t warm enough for me. I used it as a blanket at home, as it unzips fully, but then felt like a gear wierdo and sold it.

I too agree that as an overbag, things would be a bit tight, however, I never tried it as a liner.

david fausnight

@rckjnky

I also own one of these, and I like it very much. I have used mine at about 60F and stayed warm enough. I might be able to take it to 50 F if I put on a hat etc. However, if I was worried about being cold I would chose a down bag that would be far warmer for the weight. Its a great bag when the concern is being too hot.

I just tried it both as a liner and an over bag with my Marmot Hydrogen. I liked it better as an over bag. The driclime fleece has a little too much “grip” to make sorting things out inside the bag very easy. But again its a weight/warmth issue, I rather take a one warmer bag.

Patrick Young
    BPL Member

@lightingboy

Locale: Midwest

I have the new Trestle Trails. It is unfortunatley heavier at 24oz. I'm going to modify it into a quilt. Hope to drop it to under 16oz. I have taken the bag down to 28.8F wearing my MontBell Ul inner jacket and pants with a ss base top and wool boxers and wool socks and light balaclava in a bivy. I needed more warmth for my feet. Other than my feet I was actually comfortable.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools