Topic

Gloves

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Gloves

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    John Devitt
    BPL Member

@cabana

Locale: Colorado

Hello,

I have been looking for some light wind/water proof gloves for my boys and me. I have read some manufactures descriptions and some reviews, but have been left uncertain with both.
    Does anyone have anty real world experience with gloves that meet my requirements? I am not looking for winter gloves, just something that won't out after a couple/few hours in the rain.
    These will be used while hiking, and for hail protection. Warmth our hands around camp will be from another source ie…socks, wool liners.
    Thank you for your help!
    Regards,
    John

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

For Waterproof/wind I use MLD eVent Rain Mitts. For insulation inside the mitts, it changes for the conditions.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I was standing at a bus stop and this guy went cruising by on a bike in the rain…. wearing dishwashing gloves. Sounds goofy, but why not? Just find some green ones, rather than bight yellow, etc. Super cheap too.

Playtex gloves

I use Mountain Hardwear Tempest SL gloves, made like a rain jacket with a light nylon tricot lining.

Sealskinz are good, but thick and warm — too warm for less than freezing weather. I found some in a thrift store for $3, so they work that much better :)

Mark Verber
    BPL Member

@verber

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

All gloves suck. I have yet to find gloves that keep my hands 100% dry, the right amount of warmth, durable, and good feel. Andy's truth about gloves is more articulate that I will be.

For backpacking I have found that a pair of powerstretch liner gloves does amazingly well when I am active down to 20F, or maybe lower. They will get wet. They dry reasonably quickly.

–Mark

drowning in spam

@leaftye

Locale: SoCal

I'm with Mark. All gloves suck. I'm really liking convertible gloves as a compromise between needing dexterity at times, and having the superior warmth of mittens.

joe newton
    BPL Member

@holdfast

Locale: Bergen, Norway

I agree with Mark and Eugene. Gloves suck and there is no such thing as a 100% waterproof glove. I would certainly steer clear of Sealskinz, they take FOREVER to dry. Mark had it right when he suggested reading Andy Kirkpatricks's article on gloves (one of many good articles on his site). Mark's link above will take you to the article but they're also available at Andy's new website:

http://www.andy-kirkpatrick.com/site/main_articles/the_truth_about_gloves/

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

When it gets a little cold, I use simple knit glove liners (2 oz). Then if it gets wet or windy, I slip some disposable plastic gloves over those. There are several different types of disposable plastic glove weights.
    –B.G.–

John Devitt
    BPL Member

@cabana

Locale: Colorado

Gentlemen,
    Thank you for you insight. I am greatful to you all for sharing your knowledge and experience with me on this issue.

Nick, Thanks for the real world thumbs up on the mitts. I have been looking at these for awhile now.

Dale, That is briliant simplisity! If only slightly more breathable. They do have the quality of being very effective at keeping water off of hands, as well as providing a lot of trail laughs to lightening the mood on a dreary day.

Mark, I love your site and have gleaned much info from it over the years, thank you for that wonderful service you provide for us all. Thanks for the link, if gives me a new perspective and some new thought to ponder. I will look into powerstretch liner gloves as well.

Joe, Thanks for the heads up on Sealskinz. They are off of my radar now. The article on Andy's site was great. Thanks for pointing out the others to read thaere as well, I would have missed them.

Bob, Thanks for sharing your system. It is most helpful in developing my own.

Thank you all!
    Regards,
    John

Pieter Kaufman

@pieter

Andy's rant was interesting.

It makes me wonder why, at least in the rather specialized world of ice climbing, neoprene gloves designed to work like wetsuits haven't taken off. Since he introduces the idea of perceived dryness as opposed to actual dryness, that implies a wearer is willing to stand some degree of moisture as long as it feels warm(ish).

Well, anyone who's dived or surfed knows that wetsuits keep you, well, wet. And warm.

I know this is complicated by air temps that can be below freezing, but then again, I'd have to assume that there would be enough stored heat from the wearer's hands to prevent the glove from freezing while in use.

I don't know…maybe it's crazy. Or maybe not. I'll take warm wet hands any day over cold wet hands.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools