Topic

Travel/Hiking List for Japan in March

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists Travel/Hiking List for Japan in March

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    David Drake
    BPL Member

@daviddrake

Locale: North Idaho

My gear list for a two-week trip to Japan, leaving 4 March.

It's a compromise, as I will be spending the first week in a hotel in Tokyo, studying the architecture of the city, and would like to have a change of clothes so that I can wash one/wear one. After the first week, I am going to Kyushu for day hiking around Aso-san and a three day (two night) hike from Sobo-san to Katamuki-yama, staying in huts (so no tent).

The list is better formatted as PDF under my profile, but here's the cut and paste version. Number across from category is total for that category in lbs. Number next to each item is that item's weight on my scale in oz. Totals in oz and lbs at end. I haven't included weight of poles or "extras" in the base.

At this point, I can't afford to replace any major items, but would welcome suggestions for consolidation, leave behind, etc. To address a couple issues: my poles are old and heavy, but I've had knee problem in the past and they seem to help. Plus, they collapse so can be put in a mailing tube and go as checked baggage along with my knife. Everything else will be carry on, and I'll buy fuel when I get there. My rain shell is also heavy–about 11.8 oz for the jacket–but will work for around the city, and I can't afford to replace it yet. However, if Mont Bell makes a good shell, and if prices in Japan are competitive with US, I might be able to swing it. I haven't included water treatment–have been told Aquamira drops (which is what I normally use) can fly as checked baggage, and that would be my preference.

Also, for those familiar with hiking in Japan (and Kyushu in particular) any advice re: weather conditions, bugs, travel between Aso and Takachiho, etc would be welcome.

Thanks in advance.

2+1 Heavies 4.86 lb
    >WM Ultralite 26 oz
    >Prolite pad (sm) 13.7
    >Exos 58 38

Kitchen 0.53 lb
    >SP Gigapower 3 oz
    >SP 600 Ti Mug/MYOG lid 3.2
    >MYOG windscreen 1.2
    >mini-BIC Lighter 0.5
    >LMF Spork 0.3
    >Blue shop towel 0.2

Hydration 0.23 lb
    >2 l Platypus 1.2 oz
    >Platy hose 2.4

Personal 0.19 lb
    >Cut down toothbrush 0.2 oz
    >Travel size toothpaste 1
    >Purell 1.3
    >TP/wash bottle 0.5

Essentials 0.48 lb
    >Map 1 oz
    >Compass 0.9
    >1st Aid/repair 1.7
    >Space blanket 1.7
    >Cyclops Atom headlamp 1
    >Clip-on sunglasses 0.2
    >Sunscreen 0.6
    >Xtra lighter 0.5

Clothes (worn) 3.11 lb
    >REI travel/hiking pants 12 oz
    >Merino short tee 4
    >Bandana 1
    >Hiking hat 2.4
    >Ventum socks 2.4
    >briefs 2
    >Keen Ridgeline shoes 26
    >Knife 2.1
    >Watch 0.9

Clothes (pack) 4.33 lb
    >Merino 1/4 zip long tee 4.9 oz
    >Sherpa midlayer 1/4 zip 8.7
    >200 wt fleece 1/4 zip 10.8
    >REI travel/hiking pants 12
    >Merino bottoms 5.3
    >briefs 2
    >socks 2.6
    >beanie 2
    >light gloves 1.3
    >Rain jacket and pants 17.8
    >Neck gaiter 1.9

Sub-essentials 1.54 lb
    >Black Diamond poles 22 oz
    >50 ft. line 2
    >25 Ibuprofen 0.2
    >DEET in eyedropper bottle 0.5

Consumables ??
    >Food
    >Water
    >Fuel (full) 7 oz

Extras 2.08 lb
    >Canon SD 800/case 8.7 oz
    >Guide Book 12.4
    >Sketchbook 12.1
    >Cell phone 3.7
    >iPod Touch 4.2
    >Adapters/chargers 6.4

Totals (SO)(oz) 301.6
    Totals (SO) (lbs) 18.85
    Base (oz) 172.3
    Base (lbs) 10.76875

Jeremy Greene
    Spectator

@tippymcstagger

Locale: North Texas

I've never been to Japan but have traveled a bit, so ymmv. Honestly your list looks fine, but you put it up to be picked at…

3 day hike, assuming shelters are close together and there are other people on the trail, you may be comfortable without the following:
    -extra lighter (bum or buy or 1/2 matchbook?)
    -windscreen (do you need the efficiency?)
    -lid (same)
    -space blanket (emergency realistic?)
    -50' line (same)
    -hydration hose (even with poles, necessary?)

Will you need 2 pair of hiking pants. Will you need to wash them if you are changing underwear and airing pants at night? Have you considered driducks for cheap lighter rain gear? (I haven't tried them.) Do you need both neck gaiter and a bandanna? Weight of midlayer plus fleece could equal a serious down or synthetic parka, but $.

Can you trim chapters and the cover from your guidebook and eliminate regions you won't visit? Sketchbook weight seems reasonable already for an arch. study, but only take as many pages as you will use.

The pack seems larger and more supportive than needed, but $.

David Drake
    BPL Member

@daviddrake

Locale: North Idaho

Thanks Jeremy. All good advice, I think. I'll prob. drop all but 15' or so of line (no bears on Kyushu), and either chop up the guidebook or convert to PDFs for my iPod. Windscreen and lid I prob. don't need if all cooking was enclosed but I like a hot drink on the trail sometimes. Usually I don't carry a space blanket, but since I'm leaving the tent and hiking solo, I thought it'd be cheap and light peace of mind.

I'd like to try driducks myself, but want a jacket that looks okay for around Tokyo as well.

This is kind of a shake-down trip–I'll be going back to Japan in May for a month–3 weeks in cities and 1 week in the mountains. So I'm sure the list will evolve.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools