Topic

Titanium for windscreen, pot support.

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Titanium for windscreen, pot support.

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 26 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Author
    Joshua Griffin

@joshuajayg

Locale: The Sticks

It is great for me. I just built another alcohol stove and windscreen since I got a different pot and it all fits together wonderfully. I have a Trek 700 titanium cup and the windscreen, stove, fuel, and paperclip all fit inside my cup wonderfully! The only thing that I can't fit in is the coathanger rods. It's a sweet, light, small setup.

Joshua

Kevin Beeden
    BPL Member

@captain_paranoia

Locale: UK

You might want to play with an alternative closure fastening, to save using the paper clip. And that is to use slot and tab joints at top and bottom.

Cut a slot in the top of one end, and a mating tab at the top of the other end, and reverse the slot and tab cutting at the base.

Fold the upper tab out, and the lower tab in (fold them over a double-thickness piece of scrap), and then slide the two slots into the mating tabs to make the joint. You never need to unfold or re-fold the tabs again. The natural spring of the foil holds the joint closed.

A somewhat blurry photo of the idea can be found here (although the tab folding is in the wrong direction, so the upper tab is in the heat):

caldera clone for MSR Titan

brent driggers
    BPL Member

@cadyak

Locale: southwest georgia

I got some of the ti-goat foil. It is very sturdy and could definitely hold a pot in a circular configuration.

This is a windscreen setup I have been experimenting with. I only really need wind protection between the top of the stove and the pot, but I made it a little taller for now. weighs just under an oz. with the stainless steel pins.

ti windscreen

Richard Brownkatz

@rbrownkatz

Locale: Southeast

I decided to see how much weight I would save by replacing my aluminum flashing windscreen with a titanium one. But I'm a real doofus when it comes to math. Hell, I'm a doofus when it comes to arithmatic. So I need someone to check me on this, please.

I considered Titanium Goat's .005" thick, 1.85 oz, 11.75" x 12" piece. That size equals 141 square inches 11.75 x 12), which is .01312 oz per square inch (1.85/141).

My aluminum screen is 21.5" x 4.25" and weighs 1.2 oz. That's 91.375 square inches and
    .01313 oz per square inch.

The difference is .00001 oz per square inch. If I make a titanium duplicate of my curent screen I will save .00091 oz. Not exactly awesome.

Have I figure this correctly?

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

I agree with your math

Your aluminum must be thinner than the Ti

Or your aluminum isn't as strong as the Ti, but who cares

A windscreen doesn't need very much strength – is there thinner Ti out there?

Brendan Swihart
    BPL Member

@brendans

Locale: Fruita CO

Suluk46 has .003"

Richard Brownkatz

@rbrownkatz

" Suluk46 has .003" "

Thanks Brendan. That'd about cut the weight in half (.68) That leaves the question of whether that thickness could support a pot, using two or three Ti tent stakes run horizontally through holes in the Ti foil.
    I'm considering buying one of Sulak46's 6" screens. It seems to be made of the .003" stuff he sells (given it's 6" in diameter and 4.5 inches high). I emailed him about this and he seems to think that, depending on the size of the pot, it would work.
    The pot's a Snowpeak Trek 900 pot-lid/fry pan. Weighs 6.2 oz and holds 30 ounces max, which in water weighs 28.776 ounces, for a total max weight of 2.2 lbs.
    Anyone know if this could work with the .003"?
    Thanks.

Chris Lucas

@cheme

Locale: SC

I made a pot support/windscreen combo from Steve's Ti foil for my Heine pot using 2 6" vargo Ti stakes and the whole thing is pretty darn stable. Go for it. Once you put it all together you'll see what I mean.

Brendan Swihart
    BPL Member

@brendans

Locale: Fruita CO

Agreed. I made pretty much exactly what you describe (caldera like cone with holes for stakes to support Fosters can) and have used it for probably 50 nights with no problems.

Richard Brownkatz

@rbrownkatz

Thanks folks.

Viewing 10 posts - 26 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools