Topic

Dump mug w/pot insulation and lip protection?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Dump mug w/pot insulation and lip protection?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Paul Mason

@dextersp1

I saw this GSI HALULITE MINIMALIST and it got me thinking.

http://www.gsioutdoors.com/detail.aspx?c=4&p=50139&lu=%2flist.aspx%3fc%3d4&

I have the Brunton IB Cookset – I usually only use the large pot with a insulated mug. I would like to dump the mug. I do a lot of cold weather hiking in Colorado and Utah.

http://www.brunton.com/product.php?id=407

Two questions:
    1. any suggestions on how to make (or buy) something so I dont burn my lip when drinking from it?

2. any suggestion on how to simply make something to insulate the pot? Something that you put the pot into after the liquid has boiled.
    thanks

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Locale: Wisconsin

To answer question 1: I got a plastic lid for my Snow Peak 450 (which doubles as my pot) so I didnt burn my lips. What I realized what that if it was too hot for my lips, it was usually too hot to drink. Once the liquid cooled enough for me to drink, it was cool enough for my lips. I do still have a metal lid that I use while cooking, since cooking with a plastic lid can melt it. YMMV, of course. So I dropped the lid from my pack. One less ounce, one less item.

#2: You can buy Reflectix at a hardware store, which is basically tinfoil and bubble wrap that is used for insulating piping and ductwork. They sell tape for it also. You can make any size cozy you want! But I ended up dropping the cozy also, as I just didn't need it for my cooking style. The mug stayed hot enough to hydrate my meals.

Disclaimer: I hold no responsibility for anyone burning the crap out of their lip!
    ; )

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Locale: Wisconsin

I would like GSI to make a Halulite mug with handles….

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools