Topic

Titanium on Ebay

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Commerce Gear Deals Titanium on Ebay

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Greg Lewis
    BPL Member

@gpl916

Locale: PNW

I am not sure if this is a gear deal or not but I bought 4' of .003 titanium foil on Ebay for $12. It came to $15 with shipping but I was able to make windscreens for both my firelight 550 and evernew .9L, and have some left over for another project I have in mind. I wasn't sure if the .003 was thick enough but it is fine.

The seller had like 10 of them up.

Greg

Greg

. .
    BPL Member

@biointegra

Locale: Puget Sound

Who was the seller and/or do you have a link to his 'store' or selling page? Thanks!

Aaron Robson

@quintessence

Locale: Texas, California, BC
    Greg Lewis
    BPL Member

@gpl916

Hey Guys,

Yes, that is the link. It says 3mil (not 3mm) which by my handy converter (online) says it equals .003". It IS thin but it is such tough stuff that it will work well. I just have to punch the holes in mine. It cuts fairly easily with kitchen shears.

I decided it was thick enough because there is a cool pot stand made from this (.003") on zenstoves.

Greg

Gary Dunckel
    BPL Member

@zia-grill-guy

Locale: Boulder

Thanks for the tip, Greg. That seems like a pretty good price for a somewhat rare piece of titanium foil. I decided to pick up a couple myself. Guess what my buddies are getting for next Christmas–windscreens! By the way, could I ask what your other project might be? I'm thinking that I'll have a few scraps left over as well. I'm wondering if a guy can fashion an Esbit tab holder from this foil somehow.

Aaron Robson

@quintessence

Locale: Texas, California, BC

Ah silly me assuming metric measurments. Thanks for the feedback. Looks like it will make a sweet windscreen.

Dutch Anderson

@silveradodutchman

Locale: Central Florida

is the 4" height tall enough for a windscreen?

SD

Javan Dempsey

@jdempsey

Locale: The-Stateless-Society

Yeah I ordered some of this the other day for use in stove making. For what it's worth, the stuff TiGoat sells is .005 or like 5mil, so I'm guessing this stuff is much more pliable.

I doubt it would be good for caldera cone type application, but then again, it's too short anyway.

I've seen some .005 stuff there, but it's big rolls and pretty long.

Javan Dempsey

@jdempsey

Locale: The-Stateless-Society

For those of you that don't know:

Titanium goat sells .005 stuff 11.75" wide and 22" wide, in whatever length you can afford.

;)

http://www.titaniumgoat.com/windscreens.html

Greg Lewis
    BPL Member

@gpl916

Gary,

The other project I am considering is a titanium grill for Tenkara caught fish. Basically I would take left over strips around 11" long by 3/4" width and fold them to about 90 degrees along the length. Then drill holes through each one about 2" from the ends, slide them on a Ti stake or maybe a Ti rod that is a little longer than the stake, and use them for a grill.

I got the idea from my home bbq. That is the shape of the grill on it.

I tested a piece of scrap that I had by bending it and it was plenty stiff enough. I think it would probably be lighter than the one offered by BPL, and much cheaper.

The only question is if it would be too diffficult to clean?

Greg

Greg Lewis
    BPL Member

@gpl916

The height is perfect for me because I wanted the windscreen to fit inside my pots. I had to cut the height down to make them fit.

With my Super gram weenie and whitebox, I don't get alot of pot coverage (maybe 3/4") but it fits inside.

Greg

Gary Dunckel
    BPL Member

@zia-grill-guy

Locale: Boulder

That's quite interesting, Greg. Maybe to clean it, you could just soak it awhile, then use a small piece of SOS pad. Or, maybe just throw it onto the coals for 5 minutes. Then, put it in the dishwasher when you get home. It might be bear bait when in the field if it's not clean, eh?

By the way, I looked up the thickness of the ti screens BPL used to sell. Roger Caffin wrote that it was .0012" thick. Ours will be almost 3x that, which should offer some interesting project possibilities.

Greg Lewis
    BPL Member

@gpl916

Yes, it's plenty stiff enough for many things. I rolled some up and set two stakes on top and it easily supported my firelight 550. So you could easily do a combined pot stand/ windscreen.

There is also an example of an .003 heiny/ pot stand on zen stoves made from the same thickness. It is just rolled up piece with much of it cut away for air. It looks pretty good.

I had the same thoughts about using my ti stakes in bear country. I wouldn't want a grizzly digging up my stakes for dinner. Maybe the seperate rods would be better! The grill cut be hung with the food.

Oh yeah, almost forgot the other benefit. You could pull the stakes out and it would stack together, taking up very little space.

Greg

jim draucker
    BPL Member

@mtnjim

Locale: Shenandoah Valley VA

Better move fast only 2 left.

Nathan Baker
    BPL Member

@slvravn

Locale: East Coast - Mid Atlantic

There is some more up at:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220569949354

This is only 3 5/8", but should still work for some smaller pots.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools