Topic

Down Bag Compressed by Manufacturer?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Down Bag Compressed by Manufacturer?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Nick –

@byproxy

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I just purchased a 20degree down bag from a big-box store. It's a decent bag… nothing super high end. Got good reviews many sites.

Anyway, it was in the compression stuff sack in the box that it came in. The sack was NOT compressed (straps weren't pulled tight), but it was in the smaller compression sack rather than the larger storage bag.

When I pulled the bag out of the sack, a tag on the bag listed "Delivery Date: Y08 NO4" which I'm assuming means November 4, 2008.

Should I be concerned about the length of time this bag sat on a shelf in a compressed state?? If so, I'll return it.

Also, should down bags be stored in the storage sack, or can they be stored laid out flat? I generally store them in the spare room on the bed… laid out flat (as if to be used). If it's better, though, to actually stuff it in the larger storage bag, I will. This is my first down bag, so I wasn't sure and wanted to check. Thanks!

Hendrik Morkel
    BPL Member

@skullmonkey

Locale: Finland

I store mine in the storage bags they come with, as otherwise they do take too much space. If you got space-a-plenty, just put them on the bed as you do already.

How does the new bag loft? Do you feel it lofts fully? That can take a while (let it sit over night and check in the morning if you're unsure). If you feel the loft is not what it should be, return it if you can. If all is OK, be happy that you made a good deal =)

Nick –

@byproxy

Locale: Pacific Northwest

thanks for the advice!

i have the room so i'll store it laid out. good to know. thanks.

i laid it out overnight and it poofed up a bit, but it's not like it's huge like a balloon. i'm not sure what a reasonable expectation should be in terms of loft. hehehehe. is there a standard, or measurement, or something?

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Nick:

If it lofts up, it's probably fine. Can you test it out sleeping in it at night?

As for storing, the easiest is probably just storing it inside the large, cotton bag that it came with — in a cool, clean and dry place away from heat/sunlight. But if you have the space, sure, you can also (2) hang it or (3) lay it out flat — protected from dust and grime.

Dean F.
    BPL Member

@acrosome

Locale: Back in the Front Range

You can simply hang bags in a closet, too. Many have little loops on the footbox so they can be hung on a hanger. Most are a little too long and a bit bunches on the floor of a normal closet, so I mounted a dowel to my basement ceiling and use that instead.

Josh Leavitt
    BPL Member

@joshleavitt

Locale: Ruta Locura

If you think the bag has lost some of its loft, toss it in the drier.

Jon Hall

@iamjonhall

I've always wondered about the same thing with Thermarest's. They suggest you don't leave them rolled up to store them yet when you buy one, who knows how long it's been rolled up on the shelf.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

I think the risk to a Thermarest self-inflating pad is less of an issue. I think "sponge" is more resilient and more ready to spring back than goose down.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

Dean,

Bad idea.

The significant other is going to know everytime you buy a bag or a quilt. Best to store in a cotton bag. I keep my collection in the garage up high where she is not willing to go look.

Dean F.
    BPL Member

@acrosome

Locale: Back in the Front Range

"The significant other is going to know every time you buy a bag or a quilt."

Damn. That is an excellent point…

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

T-rests are squashed with a machine in the factory to remove all the air. The reason why they want you to leave them open in storage is your breath has moisture in it, which in theory can lead to mold.

So don't worry about new T-rests.

(I have seen the machine they use….that thing is scary!)

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools