Topic

First attempt… need help!

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear First attempt… need help!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Dee Bee

@stoopheadfred

Hey guys, so this is going to be my first attempt at making anything! I'm going into this basically with no knowledge of how to make my own gear and the goal is to make a waterproof t-shirt out of a material that is going to feel as similar to cotton as possible.

Maybe a softshell type material? The main use of this would be as an outer layer for spring like conditions or days where it's not dumping snow. I don't know what material would be best or where I would aquire it, and I would really appreciate all of your advice on what type of stitching to use, whether I should seal the seams and with what, and what type of material would give me the desired cotton-like feel.

Thanks guys, can't wait to hear from ya!

Dee Bee

@stoopheadfred

I think I'm going to go with Polartec Power Shield. Went and checked it out today at Seattle Fabrics and it looks like exactly what I'm looking for. Now all I've got to do it learn to make a pattern, learn to sew, and learn to seal seams.

will samsky

@wsamsky

Locale: Sunny Arizona

ive never used their patterns but check out thegreenpepper.com they have some cool looking patterns someone on here made the rain jacket and it looked mad legit.

here is the link to that jacket
    http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=28652

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools