Topic

San Francisco Area 24-hour trip recommendations

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion San Francisco Area 24-hour trip recommendations

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Simon Weiss
    BPL Member

@simongtr

Locale: Bay Area

Hello Bay Area backpackers.
    My weekend just opened up and I'm looking for suggestions for places to go in the back country for ~24 hours.

Here's what I want:
    * <4 hours drive
    * minimal to no snow (I don't want a major challenge
    * isolation is good
    * solid hiking involved – a loop would be great. 5 – 10 miles seems about right

thanks for any suggestions

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Point Reyes, Henry Coe

Simon Weiss
    BPL Member

@simongtr

Point Reyes is nice, but I've hiked all those trails. Looking into Henry Coe – got to see about reservations.

How is Henry Coe for getting isolated, this time of year?
    Any particular trail/loop you'd suggest?

David Lutz

@davidlutz

Up to Mt. Rose in Sunol Regional Wilderness.

A number of parks in the Santa Cruz mountains.

I bet this time of year they won't be very crowded.

Robert Blean
    BPL Member

@blean

Locale: San Jose -- too far from Sierras

Don't forget — he has to stay somewhere overnight. Most Bay Area places have, at best, designated camping areas that may not suit him (especially for an "isolated" feeling).

Stealth camping may or may not work, and if doing that he has the issue of where to park his vehicle.

— MV

Simon Weiss
    BPL Member

@simongtr

Yeah, the coastal/popular areas might be all taken, and/or crowded. But, I'll start calling around.

Any areas with real back-country (no designated sites) that aren't going to be covered in snow?

-s

Robert Blean
    BPL Member

@blean

Locale: San Jose -- too far from Sierras

> Any areas with real back-country (no designated sites) that aren't going to be covered in snow?

Henry Coe has no designated campsites, once you get out of the area around HQ.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

"Up to Mt. Rose in Sunol Regional Wilderness."

On the map, it is identified as Rose Peak.

–B.G.–

Donald Richman

@dontom

Locale: mainly SF Bay Area

Would you like to join our small group for a day hike this coming Saturday?

If so, see read the entire thread here and join in:

http://www.backpacker.com/cgi-bin/forums/ikonboard.cgi?act=ST;f=822107219;t=9991130372

All others welcome too! But reply there so we know you're coming!

-Don- South San Francisco, CA

Simon Weiss
    BPL Member

@simongtr

Just returned from a 1-night, solo trip in Henry Coe. It was my first time at the park, and first solo trip. Although it was a bit wet today, it was a great trip.

Thanks to all for the advice.

Details of the trip:
    I started at Hunter Hollow at about 1:00pm, headed north on Middle Steer Ridge Trail, continuing to Kelly Lake. On Saturday, the skies were fairly clear so I had great views from Wilson Peak to the rolling, grassy hills. I had no idea such a pleasant and expansive park was so close to me!

I continued to Coit Lake and climbed the western slope and pitched my simple homemade tarp for the first time (correctly) using my BPL Stix.Sleep setup at Henry Coe State Park, Simon Weiss Feb 2010

I hiked out today, which turned out to be quite wet. I saw only a trio of mountain bikers (including Specialized Founder) and a pair of trail volunteers. My new PreCip pants were very waterproof, but I only used them infrequently beacause I would get too hot underneath those pants. My 10 year old patagonia raincoat more or less soaked through – despite having recently given it a new application of NikWax. (Can I send this in to get a DWR coating?).

All in all a great trip, and probably my lightest yet (~14lbs base weight).

Thanks again for the great advice.

Jay Wilkerson
    BPL Member

@creachen

Locale: East Bay

Cool stuff, I will be going to Coit Lake in about 3 weeks. I hope the weather holds out. Nice MYO Tarp-Whats the weight and dimensions?

Simon Weiss
    BPL Member

@simongtr

It's made from a single piece, so it's width is the width of the material, minus edge-binding (I think about 5'). I think it's about 7 to 8 feet long, which is too short. I weighed it a while ago – i think it's about 6 or 7oz, not counting all the cord or any of the stakes.

Working on a Ray-Way design with much more coverage. Unfortunately, my sewing skills are lacking – I seem to be having trouble getting an even stitch. I'll have to read over the tips on this website.

Happen to know if there's a way to get a professional re-coating of my old Patagonia raincoat?

Jack H.

@found

Locale: Sacramento, CA

Wilson Valley in Cache Creek is a great option. That is, if the river isn't so high that crossing it is difficult.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools