Topic

Group Effort to Keep Don on the Trail!!!

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Group Effort to Keep Don on the Trail!!!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Folks,

In reference to Don's post for help — we now have a consolidated listing. Please feel free to add any items you wish to give (or lend):

1. Click HERE .
    2. Locate the proper gear category.
    3. Within the category, try to group like items together.
    4. Indicate your item name, description, size, etc.
    5. Indicate your name.
    6. Everything listed is presumed to be a gift — unless you indicate "loaner" in the remarks column!

This listing is editable by anyone. Thanks.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

A quick clarify:

There is no "save" function on the spreadsheet. Whatever you add or change will simply remain.

As the document creator, I can log in and do a formal "save" — and I'll do that from time to time.

obx hiker
    BPL Member

@obxer

Hi Ben!

VERY nice work! I just added the weight for the items I'm contributing.

One thing I learned ( I think) from working alot in access ( a dbase layered over excel ) is that once you have made your entry just click in an empty field and the change/entry is "recorded"

Is that correct?

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Thanks, Cola. I know we're all glad to help!

And yes, whatever you enter, it's recorded once you hit return or move to another field. There is no additional "save" function.

Lori P
    BPL Member

@lori999

Locale: Central Valley

All righty, just wasn't sure how google docs did that… haven't really use it.

Hope Don gets back soon to give us more info – bet he'll be surprised.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

"Hope Don gets back soon to give us more info – bet he'll be surprised."

+1. I've decided not to ship anything until we hear from him on what he wants, since other folks are offering the same things I am.

If anyone else is 'hurting' at the moment, if my stuff doesn't go to Don, happy to pass it to someone else!

JR Redding

@grinchmt

Thank You Ben for the Spreadsheet. I added my own items in there just a bit ago. That was a good idea.

–Joe

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

You're welcome Joe — but the idea is Cola's. :)

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Hi All:

I just got a PM from Don that he has updated the CONSOLIDATED WORKSHEET .

Everyone, please click there and:

1. see if Don has accepted your item(s)
    2. ship the item(s) to Don — his address is at the top of the schedule in RED.
    3. indicate your shipped date in Column F.

Thanks!

Sam Haraldson
    BPL Member

@sharalds

Locale: Gallatin Range

Don is going to have his bases well covered. I didn't see anything on there I could give that hasn't already been accounted for!

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Locale: Wisconsin

Sam, if you're looking to unload free gear……:)

Mark Verber
    BPL Member

@verber

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Ben… thanks for making the spreadsheet. I am happy to provide item Don has selected… but I am a bit concerned that he selected 3 stoves & 3 pots. What's the deal here?

–Mark

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

@ Mark (and everyone else who's concerned):

I got this PM from Don (I made a few typo corrections) — I feel that it's OK to paste here for the general community:

"Hey Ben I went and updated the listing, I think it worked ..call me if needed thanks Don 317-856-1896. I tried to let everyone know that all items not used will be returned, I don't want them thinking that I am collecting gear, it looks like a lot but I just want to have the right kit for this trip, so I will experiment over the next 2 months. Thanks again and just bear with me while I am having trouble getting time online..Don."

Mark Verber
    BPL Member

@verber

great. trying things to find what works best make good sense.

obx hiker
    BPL Member

@obxer

It really does make it more difficult that Don doesn't have ready access to the blog.

But I am still a little uncomfortable with multiple duplicate items.

What this community has done in response to this situation is really commendable. We all hopefully learn something every day and this is evidently a new situation or endeavor for the board. I think we want to be careful to get it right with an eye to the future. In that regard for example Ben's list as been a real boon. Nothing like a great tool!

Regarding the duplicates I was thinking/hoping Don meant this/or this/or this…. with the duplicates; but evidently the correct proposition is And/and/and….. and what I don't want I'll send back?

There's an added burden of time and expense for the donor and for Don. (shipping and etc.) and the potential for things to go wrong.

Plus while I've freely reconciled myself to happily giving up the items I have volunteered, I still want the effort to make a difference.

Trying to assume Don's point of view; maybe he can't really judge without seeing the various items. Maybe he's worried that some items won't be in such good shape.

I don't know. I've decided to just be patient and see where this all goes with interest. But I do think we should be careful to try and get it right.

And thinking on it I think I'll just send along a return Package with a detached address sticker. Don can use it for any item he needs to return to anyone. Maybe that might help handle categories with duplicates.

PS: Good thing we're backpacking light. Anything under 1 lb goes anywhere ( US ) for $4.90

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

My 2 cents — I think it's fine (and expected) that Don would want to try out a few things.

Also, unless particular contributors specify to the contrary — I think Don should just retain whatever he doesn't want and pass them on to the next hiker in need — rather than spending money mailing stuff back to individual contributors.

Don (Biloxi) Carter

@donjuan70

Locale: Red Neck Riviera

hello everyone,
    I am at my sisters tonight for awhile and wanted to catch some of this up and clarify a couple of things.
    1st thanks to all that has contributed to this thread and offered to donate and lend out gear.
    I tried to post something like this earlier from the library but on the last few key strokes my time expired and I guess it was lost.sorry about that.
    not having regular net service is really making this difficult to coordinate,where everyone can voice there questions or opinions and be readily answered.
    please feel free to call me and we can discuss anything,
    I wont be available tomorrow during the day, my mom has a doctors visit and I will be with her most of the day,but leave a message and I will call you back.
    some here are wondering about the multiple gear items that I selected well truthfully I was kinda overwelmed by the response of so much offered, and thought well since it might be available why not test some different setups and see what will work best for me on this thru hike.
    I want to keep the weight down but also be prepared, some of the gear I am familiar with and some I am not.
    I have never used a quilt,so I would like to test one out and see how it works for me
    the bag is one I am familiar with and was the only non loaner.and with bags being a pretty personal item I didn't want to take the chance of messing up someones bag and returning it damaged.
    with the packs I did pick 2 as I would like to find the one that works for me.
    the shelter options were just that, I am not really used to useing a tarp setup alot and wanted to test out some,
    the cloudburst that was offered as a loaner was something I always had thought of and looked at and when it was offered I wanted to test it out.
    same for the stoves and finding which pot will work for my style.
    I am sorry I guess I did get over excited but I thought since it is available try it out.
    I promise that I am not collecting gear anything not used will be sent back or passed on pending the owners choice.
    I just want to pick the right gear, trust me any gear is great gear and it is so very much appreciated I do not want to seem ungreatful for everything this community has done for me.
    I realize that this is taking a big risk to help out a fellow hiker in this way and worry that it is going to go bad,I think about how I am percieved here well before I write anything.
    if anyone is to uncomfortable with this and chooses not to participate,I will understand, no hard feelings..
    with that said.please feel free to contact me regarding gear or questions. all my info is in the 1st post or I believe it may be on the list, I have not checked yet.
    anyone that has info on how or where I can get a guide or the maps (which ever is best)for planning town stops and resupply please contact me!! God Bless
    Don

Lucas Boyer
    BPL Member

@jhawkwx

Locale: 38.97˚N, 95.26˚W

I too have watched w/ amazement the outpouring of love for a fellow hiker. I am truly proud to consider myself part of a community that extends its collective hand to a hiker/human in need. All of this activity has me thinking a lot of the fear of asking for help when we are in need. I consider it a brave act to bare one's soul when you are down on your luck and ask for help. Too often, our pride and perhaps fear of rejection, etc. keeps us from teaming w/ other souls to accomplish a task. I can only imagine the amount of gear available in garages and basements that could be put to similar usage as we've witnessed here. What about a centralized location/website that would host a big gear cooperative loaner/donation list. Bear w/ me here, I'm brainstorming. Perhaps hikers would hold on to their gear as long as it was on the Big List and the host(perhaps myself) would take requests for gear and dispatch to owners of gear, who could then ship directly to the party in need. This might be best left to community, individuals, and existing networks, but I'm curious how it might be used to break some barriers between people in need and getting out there to hike. Fire away, I'm listening.

Don (Biloxi) Carter

@donjuan70

Hello everyone,
    I wanted to let everyone know that some of the gear is starting to arrive
    I recieved the poles from Jay and the platy from Ben
    if you are sending or have sent anything please feel free to call and let me know so I can look for it.
    but thank you all again for your help and well wishes
    my info again is.
    Don Carter
    5034 Rocky Forge Drive
    Indianapolis,Indiana
    317-856-1896

Steven Evans
    BPL Member

@steve_evans

Locale: Canada

I sent a box on the 24th…should take something like 10 days. Tracking number is posted on the list Ben made. Enjoy!

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Locale: Wisconsin

Don, the Driducks should be there on the 1st according to my tracking number. Good luck, and I hope they last the hike!

BTW, if mosquitos ever start to make you freak out, just put these on. They can't bite through!

Tony Wong
    BPL Member

@valshar

Don,

Just put the package together for you with a few extras.

Should be in the mail tomorrow.

Regular Post Office delivery.

Will update Ben's list once my wife sends it off tomorrow.

Also, forgot to put a note inside the envelop, which is now sealed, so I will just type it out here for you:

Don, The 2 BPOL droppers bottles with the pink and purple tops have aquamira in them. Alos included is a clear pack liner and a odor proof bag you can put your food in.

Sorry to hear about the hard time you are going through. Hope your luck improves. Maybe your PCT trip is the beginning of better things to come. Safe Journey.

-Tony

Don (Biloxi) Carter

@donjuan70

hey everyone
    I updated the spread sheet to reflect what has arrived and make contact to all the donors who have helped out so far.
    if I missed you I am sorry, it was not intentional
    alot of gear has arrived, but some crucial gear has not yet, or the shipping column updated
    please feel free to call me or just send out a PM to let me know something is on the way, so I know to look for it or cross it off the NEEDS list
    thanks to all that have helped or are in the process of doing so..it is needed and appreciated.
    THANK YOU ALL AGAIN!!!
    God Bless
    Don

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools