Topic

Which carbon poles for a firstlight tent?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Which carbon poles for a firstlight tent?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    John Johnson

@firstlight

Is there a particular set that people tend to use more than others to lighten up the base load of the firstlight tent by black diamond?

Raymond Estrella

@rayestrella

Locale: Northern Minnesota

The only people I know of that sell them is:

http://www.fibraplex.com/tentpoles.htm

I had a set for my Seedhouse SL2

There was a guy posting here that had been talking about making them (along with lots of other stuff…).

First Last
    BPL Member

@snusmumriken

Locale: SF Bay Area

I have had the fibraplex poles for several years now, and feel that although more fragile than the stock poles, they are definitely worth the weight savings.

I've had mine crack once when I was a bit sloppy putting them together. You have to be careful to make sure each section is connected before bending them into an arch. They still worked with a duct tape repair. After the trip Fibraplex repaired them quickly and without hassle.

The stock poles for the FirstLight is 14 ounces, the Fibraplex poles are 7 ounces.

Caveat: Others on this board have had more trouble with their poles.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

I second the motion for Fiberplex. I've had a set for a few years now without any problem. Easily, they weigh half of whatever other poles you have. Not cheap.

–B.G.–

David Neumann
    BPL Member

@idahomtman

Locale: Southern Oregon Coast

I have the Fibraplex poles for my Firstlight and I have another set for my OneShot. I have been satisfied with the quality of the poles, but I would second the need to be very careful and make sure the poles are well seated into one another before bending them. The fit on the OneShot is tighter than the Firstlight and I did have an end crack on a trip last summer.

Fortunately, a trail angel gave me an aluminum splint which saved the trip and I was able to have the pole repaired for $5 by the manufacturer. The problem was definitely user error and not as a result of the manufacturing process. Having said that, there is certainly less room for error with the Fibraplex poles. To me, the weight savings are worth it.

John Johnson

@firstlight

Well, 7 ounces saved is pretty huge, as is the $130 price tag unfortunately. Does anyone here want to sell the set they have for anything less than that?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools