Topic

Hiker in Need!! can you help?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Hiker in Need!! can you help?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 101 through 112 (of 112 total)
  • Author
    EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Very cool, Don, except for your knees. Hope your knee problems are now under control.

Oh, and really, no need to keep thanking us every time! Enjoy your hike!!! :)

Mary D
    BPL Member

@hikinggranny

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge

Best wishes! Do look where you're sitting down; if it isn't a cactus (ouch!), it might be a "cow pie"!

terry a thompson
    BPL Member

@terry588

Locale: West

Just heard from Don and he is now in Idylwild and is still having trouble with his knees. He seems to be in good spirits though, and hopes to continue on soon.

george carr
    BPL Member

@hammer-one

Locale: Loco Libre Gear

Anybody hear from Don? Wondering how his hike is going…..

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA

Wow, why did I not see this sooner????? I had alot of gear to donate, but after reading this, I can see Don was taken care of. I am so proud of this hiking community and their generosity. Unbelievable. Don here's to you journey……This trip will strengthen you as a person. Enjoy your journey and please post a trip report for us to read. This is such a heartwarming tale.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Yeah, haven't heard from Don in ages. Hope everything is going well with him! Coming to think of it, haven't heard from Evan Chartier either — he's also hiking the PCT. Guess they need more internet cafes up there. :)

Evan Chartier
    Spectator

@evanchartier

Hey Ben!
    I dont mean to hijack this thread, but I just read your post so I thought I would post back. Some friends here said Don was talking of dropping out at the Saufley's but I would like to hear from him as well, I hope that he is still doing all right. As for me, I am now in Lone Pine for the second time. I came out to resupply through Kearsarge Pass with a great group of guys. I took a little tumble and banged my knee, so I will take a few days off before heading back out to the PCT (cant wait to get back on the trail!) A friend of mine who I was hiking with fell down a chute and hit his knee really hard- just came back to the hostel after 2 days in the hospital. He was airlifted out but is feeling great now and is safe here in Lone Pine with his brother and friends. We look forward to seeing him on the trail in a week or so as per the doctors orders…
    All in all, a great time here on the PCT! cant wait to get pics up, the usb here at the hostel doesnt work, but Ill continue to work on that. The Sierra are beautiful!
    Hope to speak with you all soon. Don- where you at man? Hope all is well.
    Evan

Don (Biloxi) Carter

@donjuan70

Locale: Red Neck Riviera

hey everyone..well I had to get off the trail with knee problems..doctor in idyllwild thought I might have torn my ACL.I rested quite a bit at the saufleys and the andersons but just couldnt see risking it..so I flew home and went to my ortho doc that did my shoulder..well nothing torn but I had a serious blood clot behind my left knee, it has been treated with thinners and had some fluid removed 2 times, I feel much better and am thinking of heading back to the trail, I have done some hiking, but none carrying any weight yet.
    if I do return I am not sure where exactly to go to, I am sooo far behind the pack that I may jump to possibly oregon and go north and do what I can.
    but I do have tenetive plans for a thru for next year, I really want to do the whole thru in 1 pass.
    sorry for the long absense without an update, but I wanted to have more info 1st.
    so thats where I am right now..down ..but not out
    I will update again before I take off for round 2
    thanks for the concern and god bless
    Don

Mary D
    BPL Member

@hikinggranny

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge

Sorry to hear about your knee, but clots can be really serious, so I'm glad you're getting it taken care of!

With the heavy spring snow and late snow melt this year, there's not much to chose from between the Sierra and the Oregon or Washington Cascades. Above 5,000 feet there is still a LOT of snow around here. Just 10 days ago we had severe avalanche warnings. You may not be as far behind the pack as you think!

Trip reports on http://www.portlandhikers.org and http://www.nwhikers.net (Seattle area) are a good way to keep track of the Cascades snow melt, as is the Crater Lake webcam. http://www.craterlakelodges.com/press-room-247056252-818_1394.html

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Oooh, Don, sorry to hear that! Rest up and get well soon!!

george carr
    BPL Member

@hammer-one

Locale: Loco Libre Gear

Get better, Don. The trail ain't goin' anywhere. Thanks for the update, BTW.

david hensley

@aliasdave

Hey Don, would love to hear an update on how you're doing!

Viewing 12 posts - 101 through 112 (of 112 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools