Topic

Hiker in Need!! can you help?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Hiker in Need!! can you help?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 112 total)
  • Author
    Don (Biloxi) Carter

@donjuan70

Locale: Red Neck Riviera

1st off..hello to all.
    as the thread states I am unfortunetly in need of gear!alot of you here know me,either from me buying gear or selling some of you my gear a few months back.
    I am very down on my luck right now,no work,dealing with a divorce,(which is why I sold my gear)and a ton of other issues. I am all but homeless.
    right now I am taking care of my mom following a close medical call.
    but soon she will be better and I will be moving on. I sold all my other gear here back in August, in hopes of financialy helping my troubled marriage,but that didnt work and I don't have the wife or gear.it seems that now is the best time to go hike, but I have no gear at all and am very limited on the money I will have for the next 9 months, it is enough to eat while on trail and buy neccessities that are going to be needed.so what I am asking or pleading for is if the people here at BPL have some old or used serviceable gear that they would be willing to donate to me so I can go hike the PCT in early May, I have nothing, so I need a pack,shelter,bag,stove,poles and pad.
    I know this is a huge thing to ask of the community,but without it I really don't know what I will do, I have helped and seen others helped here in my time here, and pray that once again the BPL community will take pity and lend a little help to a fellow hiker who has hit bottom. this tears at the fiber of my manhood to have to feel as though I am begging, but it is the only way I will be able to replace my gear, I know it wont be gear that I had in the past, but if you do have some decent gear that will make it on a thru hike and you can possibly spare it..PLEASE help.feel free to contact me I don't have much access to the net most days,just when I get to my sisters so if you email me it may take a few days for me to respond, but I can be contacted at my mom's(Sue) @317-856-1896.
    or at
    Don Carter
    5034 rocky forge drive
    Indianapolis,Indiana
    (317)856-1896
    donjuan70@aol I can only check this everyfew days.
    thanks everyone..if you can help please do..if you can't I understand
    God Bless..Don

Jay Wilkerson
    BPL Member

@creachen

Locale: East Bay

I have some BD trekking poles for you.Sorry to hear about your bad luck—things will change in time.

-Jay

I will send them to your address.

Steven Evans
    BPL Member

@steve_evans

Locale: Canada

Don,
    I don't have any of the "Big 3" but I can hook you up with a sleeppad system.

1X GG Thinlite
    1X MEC Kelvin 2.5 SI Pad

Let me know and I'll ship it out next week (I'm out hiking until Monday)

Steve

obx hiker
    BPL Member

@obxer

I have a go-lite lair 1

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/00164.html

And a go-lite gust pack I'll contribute.

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/reviews/display_reviews?forum_thread_id=1221&cat=Backpacks%20%2D%20Frameless&cid=13

I'm excited about you putting it to good use! HAPPY TRAILS!

Now all you need is a sleeping bag and the misc. of which I may be able to help with the misc but not w/ the bag.

Edited to add: You'll want to keep your total weight to 20lbs or less with the Gust. I guess you'll need some kind of bug protection? but not having any knowledge of the pct can't say.

Dean F.
    BPL Member

@acrosome

Locale: Back in the Front Range

Will you have a hiking partner? It is utterly non-UL, but I could happily loan you an old 2P REI Half-Dome. I'd want it back (car camping) but if it came back with a few holes, bent poles, or less a stake or two that'd be no biggie. And I don't even want to think about how much it weighs…

Unfortunately, I have plans for my other shelters this spring/summer.

Let me know.

EDIT- Cola beat me to the punch! And with a much more appropriate shelter. Good luck!

Luke Schmidt
    BPL Member

@cameron

Locale: Alaska

If the Gust doesn't work out let me know. I have a pack I made that weighs about 12 oz since it was my first I don't know if it would hold up on a really long hike. Do you have rain gear?
    Sorry for your bad luck. I hope your hike works out well.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Don:

As a 'minimalist' — I normally don't keep any unused gear around — they either get returned or put on Ebay.

But I'd like to suggest that we all keep this thread in mind when REI "dividends" come out next month. Maybe we can pool our unused "dividends" together…

Patrick Matte
    BPL Member

@jpmatte

I have a hiker pur filter.A few years old,it has sitting in a plastic storage container.Its yours if you want it.
    Patrick

t.darrah
    BPL Member

@thomdarrah

Locale: Southern Oregon

The generosity and giving nature of fellow BPL members is both inspiring and humbling, I applaud each of you for your giving spirit.

D S
    BPL Member

@onthecouchagain

Locale: Sunny SoCal

Hey buddy,

I've got some titanium to give if you would like/need it? Some stakes and a spork…some silnylon stuff sacks if you use them and misc. small items, seam grip, sealer nalgene containers etc….if I see you PM or post, I will get them to you.

couch

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

I've got a Petzl headlamp in great condition. XP I think. I'll get it in the mail early next week, if not Saturday. I've also got a Ridgerest that, thanks to Bender, I don't think I'll be using again. Happy to send that as well if you want it.

Jeffrey Kuchera
    BPL Member

@frankenfeet

Locale: Great Lakes

Hey man I just posted a winter starter kit winter starter kit
    It is yours to claim you get first crack. I was asking $22 but in your case if you could just cover shipping which would probably be about $10 the stuff is yours. I would just cover shipping myself but I am currently unemployed and my budget is kinda tight right now too. Let me know. Thanks. !!!UPDATE:Actually Don another hiker has come forward and offered to cover shipping fees, let me know if you need this stuff and it will be yours at zero cost to you. Thanks for offering to help with shipping Doug!!!!

Javan Dempsey

@jdempsey

Locale: The-Stateless-Society

I'll make you any Alkie stoves you want if you tell me your cooking style, can give you something tuned for the Kmart Grease Pot, or make you a Hein Keg Pot with a custom burner for it.

Also if you need any stuff sacks or things like that, just let me know..!

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

Don,

Depending on your size and needs, I've got some capilene and a balaclava that are all yours.

HC
    BPL Member

@impulse04

Are you interested in a size long sleeping bag? I have two that I would be willing to lend.

Marmot Pinnacle Long, Right Zip. rated to 15F, measured ~5.5" loft, 3lbs 1.6oz, (3lbs 3.4oz with stuff sack). I have only used it for three or four nights but it feels a bit on the warm side. This bag uses 800 fill down.

Mountain Hardwear Phantom 32 Long, Right Zip. rated to 32F, measured ~3" loft, 1lbs 8oz (1lbs 8.7oz with stuff sack) I like the temp range and the DWR on this bag but I really dislike the half zipper. This bag is from 2005 and has had a few months of use. 800 fill down.

I also have the 2007-ish Yogi guidebook as well.

Mark Verber
    BPL Member

@verber

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

As others have said… sorry for you problems. I have several things which you would be welcome to if they would be useful.

0) a first generation Osprey Aether 60, size L torso. Most likely overkill for your purposes. The Aether would have to be a loaner because most seasons I need to use it when helping friends start the transition to a light weight style.

The following I can send and you could keep

1) Well used/loved but in still functional granite gear vapor trail… medium torso length
    2) 3/4 length clearview sleeping pad (you would want to combine it with closed cell foam for the colder months).
    3) Sgt Rock Ion Alcohol stove.. most fuel efficient alcohol stove I have used (.3 fuel to boil 16oz water in many conditions) if you are willing to wait 15 minutes to get the boil.
    4) Pentax S4 Digital Camera… 4oz, 4mp. Not a camera for fine art, but plenty good to keep memories. Was my light weight backpacking camera until a year ago.
    5) Platypus bladders… I am sure I have some extra 1L, maybe a 2L. Maybe a hoser hydration tube.. I need to hunt when I get home.

If you need some clothing I could help if you are size "L".

–Mark

Konrad .
    BPL Member

@konrad1013

I have more alcohol stoves and aluminum pots then i need at the moment, so please feel free to PM me. I see that im not the only one thats offering alky related setups, but If you are more comfortable with a traditional gas setup, I also have a pocket rocket that I no longer use.

I also have a lot of kleen canteen type steel bottles that I got from my school that I'd be happy to pass long.

These were going to be part of a mystery box that was going to end up with Travis, who won a competition, but he, and along with everyone at the thread, would much rather you have it. Please let me know if these items suit your needs better than the ones that others have offered, and they will be in mail shortly. Take care!

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Locale: Wisconsin

Don,
    I'm like Ben2World and don't keep much extra gear around, but we had a little contest over on another thread, with Konrad's stuff as the prize. We figured it would serve best to help out here. Good luck with things.

Edit: In no way is it my business, and in no way do I mean to trivialize the situation, but there could be an amazing trip report at the end of it all. I think there could be a lot to learn from taking on the PCT with your situation. Many of us clamber over the newest and best gear, but don't give much thought on how happy we'd still be out on the trail, even with a complete set of donated gear.

Lori P
    BPL Member

@lori999

Locale: Central Valley

When you get your itinerary settled, email me the addresses of two resupply locations on your PCT hike, and how many days that resupply will need to cover, and a couple weeks before you are scheduled to get there I will email a box labeled to be held for you to each location with meals, plus TP.

(You might want to post food allergies, or preferences of snack bars/trail mix ingredients, beverages, etc. plus other resupply items you'll need, so I and anyone else could pitch in what you really would use.)

I hope someone has a spare bear canister around they can mail to a resupply shortly before you'll need it.

Wish I could do more. Unemployment is biting me right now. But it looks like there are a lot of people pitching in so maybe others will also have dried ingredients in their pantries to throw together some boxes.

John Brown
    Spectator

@johnbrown2005

Locale: Portland, OR

Have EOS headlamp I can send, let me know if you want it.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Well, after scrounging around a bit, I found an extra Platypus 3L bladder — brand new! Let me know if you want it.

David Mann

@dmann

Locale: Colorado Rockies

Hey Don,

I have some size M clothing( Capilene, midlayers, and fleece jkts., Windstopper fleece hat w/earflaps, a Golite rain shell that I found and seems to work, non UL wind pants and softshell(Schoeller)pants), some used but usable Montrail and Merrel hiking shoes size 10, some wool socks, a few freeze-dried meals, and lots of sundry items(H20-proof matches, seam grip, Thermarest patches, 1st aid supplies, rope, cord, spectra line, tent stakes,- lotsa stuff), a bunch of PCT beta circa 2000(elev. profiles, large scale area maps, tons of beta for a thru hike that fell "thru" due to injury), a small(500ml?) Ti pot, an ID Primasilk(Primaloft fill/silk cover) pillow, several very capable but non-UL knives, a GG polycro groundsheet, a BearVault bear cannister for lend(I will cover return shipping as well), tons of music and audiobooks for your portable CD/MP3 player if you have one, sunscreen, a spare mosquito headnet… the list goes on and on, and this was just off the top of my head. Please PM, email, or call me if any of this is of interest. I don't want to send you a package full of redundant stuff for you to haul around! But I will take the liberty of sending off some universal consumables we all need in quantity while on the long walk.

I also encourage anyone to include a small consumable item(AA batts., trial size toothpaste, pair of old liner socks, couple of postage stamps, etc.) with their already generous donations. I am glad to be a part of this "We".

Best of luck, Don. And Happy Trails!

David Mann
    [email protected]
    (720)235-9148

P.S. I may well be in the neighborhood of the PCT in WA in September- I'd love to buy you dinner and a beer!

Evan Chartier
    Spectator

@evanchartier

You guys are amazing. Look at the outpouring of compassion and caring! 2 thumbs up for BPL. If only there were more hikers in the world.
    I've got a S2S poncho tarp I could lend. Also an OR bug bivy, and some military neck warmers/hats from fleece. Got an ursack too.
    I hope to see you on the PCT this spring.
    evanaaron at juno.com

Joseph Morrison
    Spectator

@sjdm4211

Locale: Smokies

Sorry to hear about your troubles man. I have some stuff I no longer use so I would be glad to let you have it. Let me know.

Equinox nylon poncho/tarp

Kelty Lightyear 3D 25 degree bag. Regular

Granite Gear Rock Solid compression sack. Medium.

Thermarest Ridgerest 3/4 length

I also have alot of knives so if you need one let me know. I am sure I can find something to suit you.

Joseph

Evan Chartier
    Spectator

@evanchartier

Not exactly UL, but I just found a multitool you can have.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 112 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools