Topic

MYOG SP 700 French Press, mark 1

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear MYOG SP 700 French Press, mark 1

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 50 total)
  • Author
    Javan Dempsey

@jdempsey

Locale: The-Stateless-Society

Haha if you can give up taking coffee into the backwoods, by all means friends, do it..

My monkey is staying on my back, just where I like it.

Jeremy Greene
    Spectator

@tippymcstagger

Locale: North Texas

Just read this thread
    http://tinyurl.com/ydtuerr

then made thistea infuser
    from some scrap noseeum. It has a round bottom to fit my mug. I can't see a reason to add a closure. The height was determined by the size of the scrap. It could be cut down, but it only weighs 1 gram. Gram weenie maybe, but I'm not ready to be a fractional gram weenie.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Local coffee company was giving those filters away fro free some years ago. They work OK. Just a bit fragile in a pack.

Cheers

Laurence Beck
    BPL Member

@beckla

Locale: Southern California

Starbucks has recently introduced single serving "tubes" of instant coffee. The one I tried was Italian Roast and it was great. "One a day keeps the monkey at bay"

Each serving weighs 0.1 oz

Taster's Choice has a decent single serving coffee as well but it does not taste as good as Starbucks.

JOHN ZENNER
    Spectator

@johnz

Locale: East Bay

I think some folks have real issues with Starbucks. No such problems here. Via is the best instant I've ever tried and simplifies the heck out of the morning java routine, particularly since it's just me in my family that NEEDS java.

John Adams
    BPL Member

@scsjohn

Locale: Midwest

I have never liked instant and would always bring the sp titanium french press until this past October. But I finally started carrying instant–Starbucks' Via packets. No, they are not great, but so far, the best of the instant (IMHO) and far better than the liquid coffee extract.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

My problem with Via is the packaging. Too small of a serving. I want at least a 16oz coffee. Way too pricey for Via that way.

Anonymous
    Inactive

" I want at least a 16oz coffee. Way too pricey for Via that way."

About the same as a Grande drip back in civilization.

Matt Porter
    BPL Member

@onehappycampster

I work for Starbucks. I'm glad to hear some like VIA. For what it is…it's amazing. I cut open my packets and home and put them in a small nalgene type container. Dosing is 2 TBS per 16 oz.

I don't have to make cowboy coffee or tote along a press or perk anymore. So I'm happy.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

I NEVER buy coffee at fivebucks. My coffee at home is much better without that burnt taste. Had someone give me a gift certificate for them once. Never used it up. Yuck! Cost at home is less than $.75 a huge cup with half and half and sugar

Javan Dempsey

@jdempsey

Yeah sorry guys, for those of you that like the Starbucks Via, that is great, and sometimes I envy you, but some of us will never be able to go that route.

Would I drink it if I was hypothermic and that was the only choice? Yes.

Ok, I'd drink it even if I wasn't hypotheric and it was the only choice, but if I have a choice, and generally I do: It ain't for me. ;)

P.S. working on mark II model right now, heading out in the morning, will try to post pics before I leave.

Joshua Griffin

@joshuajayg

Locale: The Sticks

i am not a fan of Starbucks, but they do have SOME good drinks. I kind of look at it as fast-food coffee. I stopped at Milagro's in Alamosa, CO and it was like drinking urine compared to Starbucks. However, I will always try a local coffee shop over Starbucks when I get the chance. My local favorite coffee shop is the Jah'va House in Artesia, NM. Mmm… coffee.

Anyway, please do post about the press mark II. I am very interested since I don't drink much drip coffee anymore and rely on my Bodum French Press for most of my coffee needs. I got a GSI press for Christmas but it is heavy (10.5 oz I think), and I don't like heavy. I just purchased a Trek700 and would love an interchangeable press for it. I was looking at my cup and wondering how to accomplish such a task and if you are able to do it, let me know. If it comes down to be impractical for me, I might have to settle for VIA. I will, but don't tempt me.

Joshua

Matt Porter
    BPL Member

@onehappycampster

What's the status of Mk II? How well did the first one work out foe you?

bj bretzke

@lilorphanbilly

Locale: Montana, MT (Stealth Mode)

Great thread. I now know more about coffee and coffee brewing than anybody on my block. I love the press and am anxiously awaiting the mkII also.
    Starbucks? That was that guy on Galactica, right? Couldn't even tell you where the closest one is but it's a couple hundred miles.
    BJ

Joshua Griffin

@joshuajayg

Lucky you, bj.

Javan Dempsey

@jdempsey

Just got back from a brutal trip in the southern AT where I just about blew my knee out ;)

Anyway, I gotta charge the camera, but I'll take some pictures in a few.

Mark II worked great. Although I'll say this, it's not ideal if you don't have another drinking receptacle, because the SP 700 lid just doesn't fit tight enough.

I think the weight went up a little because of the materials I found on hand to make this "food safe" but, the good news is, with the right stuff, it could be made a fair bit lighter.

Pics in a bit.

Javan Dempsey

@jdempsey

Here we go. Weight of this version is 27.8g

Yes, I know, it's an increase, but this one is actually food-safe/non-toxic.

Weight can be reduced, and that will be the focus of the next version. For this version I just had to source materials that I knew were safe to use with hot liquids, and the carbon fiber press rod, was decidedly *not*. I tasted a brew I made with it, and it had a real poisonous taste.

The press rod from mark-II is the main weight gain here, it's kind of thick aluminum from an old percolator.

The reinforcement filter-plate is also from a percolator. I used stainless steel wire around the edges of the plate threaded through the filter screen to secure it, to the plate. Because the fit is very tight, without these anchors, the screen would separate from the plate when raising the assembly, causing damage to the screen.

The filter screen is a stock Bodum screen from a 12c press, easily acquired, and in my experience, these screens are many times better than the standard weave versions on other presses.

The whole thing is secured by a SS screw at the bottom.filter on scalewhole assemblyassembly bottompress platepress in potpot on stovecoffee in the potsteeping with the lid offcheck the crema

I used this thing every day over the past week while out in some pretty nasty weather. I just heated water in the pot until it was just about to boil, threw a bunch of grind in and stirred. Then I covered it to steep with a heavy weight merino sock coozy around the pot. Coffee from this thing kept me sane under some crappy circumstances.

The stove I use is a RoF type wick stove made in the same style as Zelph's Fancee Feast, I just used a smaller diameter Al bottle so the aspect is more suited to the SP 700.

Joshua Griffin

@joshuajayg

(deleted)

Joshua Griffin

@joshuajayg

While you were gone globetrotting I broke out a Mainstays press rod and screen that I had and tested its fit in my 700 and it fits perfectly! I haven't paid attention to the differences in the Bodum/Wally World screens, but my coffee turned out pretty good. Now I also have to find a different rod since mine is still the solid steel rod that comes with a typical press. Then I will see about eliminating the bottom plate to the screen assembly. Nice idea! I never thought about trying a typical press assembly in my Trek 700 until you brought it up. I am sure that a thin piece of aluminum will work great for a rod. Now for a reasonable storage system…

P.S. I have a Mainstays (Chinese) press because I broke my Bodum carafe and the entire Mainstays press was cheaper (clearance) than the Bodum carafe plus shipping. I just used the carafe from the Chinese press. ;)

Devin Montgomery
    BPL Member

@dsmontgomery

Locale: one snowball away from big trouble

Very cool, I generally stick to instant on the trail. This is far more sophisticated. :)

If you're looking for a lighter replacement for the rod, check mcmaster.com. They have tubes up to 9/32" (outer diameter) in 3003 AL, which is commonly used in contact with food (as is 1100). I'm sure they also have tubes in stainless if you want to go that route.

Javan Dempsey

@jdempsey

Yep, I've got a number of presses that I've just replaced the screen on. The beaker sizes are pretty universal.

The issue I had using the standard press plate with screen was that I didn't get a tight enough fit in the SP700 to ensure a sediment/ground free cup.

Just be careful with the rods/press plates you use, I've been schooled by people in the know that you can't just use any random Aluminum you find. Apparently Al used for industrial applications can have all kinds of foul coatings and impurities that can be bad for us.

Javan Dempsey

@jdempsey

Devin,

Thanks man, that's very helpful.

On another note, for what it's worth, I checked out the JetBoil french press. The filter assembly itself looks like crap to me, it's just a SS plate with alot of little holes in it. However, the rod itself is mega light, and screws apart..

I'm thinking about making mark III with a rod off of the JB-FP, but I need to get a new lid for my SP700 or make one from Ti foil.

sheila o
    BPL Member

@bumpass

Locale: The Far Left Coast? : /

Javan….the JB press is actually quite sturdy. I've had it for years. Found it best to turn the press downward as to put a cap over the grounds. I know the lid is a little heavy, but with that plastic lip, it turns your pot into a nice mug. If you do change out for a differnet lid and depending the height of your pot, know that you can unscrew the rod after you press the coffee so your lid sits flush. It works with SP700, MLD850 and SP MiniSolo that I know of. It would be nice to hear how its working for you. Cheers

Javan Dempsey

@jdempsey

Sheila, thanks for the reply.. Had I known about the JB press before I started on this project, I probably would have just adapted that in the first place. I've been using the press I made on all my trips recently, and while it's not perfect (by any means) it's better than not having a press.

The issue of course, is not having a separate cup to drink out of, so my next coffee related project is to convert the double walled SP ti mug into a press before the cold weather rolls around again.

sheila o
    BPL Member

@bumpass

Locale: The Far Left Coast? : /

Good enough. How does your press do on keeping out the grounds? Until I found out that I could turn the JB press upside down and then press, I had lots of stuff floating. I think the plastic screen holder allows a little give to seal better.
    Anyway the JBFP is only 25gms on my scale.
    Though this may be backasswards, but when I was looking at lighter cooking options, I looked for a pot that the JBFP would fit which could accommodate my FP addiction. :)
    I am impressed with your press though. Good Job!

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 50 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools